Windows XP x64 Compatible?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Technical Support' started by asmodeus81, Oct 27, 2005.

1. asmodeus81

asmodeus81 Chieftain

Is anyone else here running Windows XP x64? If so does Civilization 4 run well? I guess in the worst case I can always install my old copy of XP and dual boot, but I'd prefer not to.

So far x64 has been really good w.r.t compatibility with games... some game installers need to be modified so they'll install (Doom 3 expansion and Vampire Bloodlines are two that I can think of right away) but run perfectly once installed.

Ordinarily I wouldn't be worried about the compatibility, but I've been reading that it comes with a slightly newer version of DirectX that needs to be installed.

2. slingshotz

slingshotz Chieftain

The answer for me is....sorta....

Game installs flawlessly (even the scary DirectX part) and the game seems to work fine for me until it tries to play a wonder movie. The intro movies play perfectly.

The first time it got pretty far into the movie before it locked up my computer. The second time I saw about 1 second of the movie before it locked up. So I'm downloading the full version of DirectX 9.0c from Microsoft that says its for x64 and reinstalling DirectX to see that fixes it.

I have more than enough specs for the game, 2 gigs of ram, AMD64 +3000, 256MB ATI x700 and the onboard Realtek sound card which is supposed to be DirectX7 compatible. I'm running the lastest 5.10 ATI Radeon drivers and have no issues with other games so far.

Would love to hear from anyone else that is running x64. It seems to me that it may not be related to x64 as there are others who have issues playing the wonder movies. And the strange thing is that if I play the BIK file in my Rad Video Tools, the movies play flawlessly....

Update -> After installing DirectX 9.0c SDK, the movie played 3/4 of the way in, then studdered and crashed out to my desktop but amazingly it did not lock the computer up, nor did it crash the game. Just had to alt-tab back into the game and it continued like nothing had happened.

3. Big Ev

Big Ev Chieftain

I've personally been having trouble with x64 myself.

Intro videos are all scrambled.

Crashed 4 times in the tutorial (total system lock)

Cannot load a tutorial game without an automatic win

Also, Disc 2 is labeled my play disc, but I actually need Disc 1 in the drive to play.

4. alexzman2002

alexzman2002 Chieftain

I really wanted to upgrade to Windows XP64, but problems like this scared me off. :(

5. fatal0e

fatal0e Chieftain

Working fine for me on x64 with ATI radeon

6. Big Ev

Big Ev Chieftain

My rig:
    Athlon X2 4400+
    Geforce 7800GTX
    2GB Corsair XMS RAM
    Windows XP x64

That should be more then enough to dominate this game. All my other games run just fine on x64 (Half-Life, Dawn of War, Warcraft III, etc.).

7. dannyevilcat

dannyevilcat DESTROYER OF FURNITURE

I've got x64 too, so far no gameplay problems.

8. asmodeus81

asmodeus81 Chieftain

It's good to hear that it'll most likely run fine on x64. I was kind of expecting the videos to be a little choppy at least anyway, as the intro video is in Pirates.. with the audio cutting out for half a second every 2 seconds or so (though everything else in Pirates runs perfectly).

9. Big Ev

Big Ev Chieftain

I still cannot get this game running as it should be. Still crashing, still chopppy video. I updated my video card drivers and updated my motherboard drivers. I am so frustrated, its like this game is mocking me :p

"I know you wanna play, but you gotta fix me first, *****!" -Civ 4

Hey, for the 15-30 mins burst I get to play with out crashing, its pretty fun.

10. desmondch

desmondch Chieftain

I have pretty much the same rig:

X2 4400
    2gb Crucial
    7800 GTX
    XP x64

Problems:
    Intro movies dont play, just come up scrambled
    Wonder movies dont play, just come up scrambled
    Game crashes. An LOT.

Only thing i will say about my install is that I changed my default directories, but i installed it on my laptop with different directories and it works (but its a slow as a DOG, even on a brand new T43 dammit)

WHAT GIVES!? How can this game not work on a pc this good???:mad:

11. piroscavich

piroscavich Chieftain

I'm also having problems with intro and wonder movies. I have

xp64
    7800 gt
    1 gb ram
    athlon 3700

Haven't had any trouble with any other new games, and civ4 works fine outside of the movies.

12. gibbie99

gibbie99 Chieftain

Hi all,

I am having similiar issues, particularly in regard to the movies. in x64 it would just crash (you can disable the movies in the ini file, you aren't missing much). I reinstalled x32 (winxp) since pretty much all of my games would die every once in a while (5 minutes to an hour per time). This may be due to a power supply issue, I think I overloaded the PS with 3 hard drives an a DVD writer. I disabled two of the HDs and reinstalled, and Civ4 playes okay, it just crashed to desktop on me during the Greek scenario - I got a war elephant and tried to move it and it crashed. Dunno if that is due to code or what.

Here are my specs

AMD A64 2800
    Abit KV8 MB
    512 MB RAM
    Leadtek GForce A6600 GT

Not exactly high end.

My feeling with x64 is that it will be great when driver support is available. Most games did play okay, but I feel that the additional layer (Windows on Windows compatibilility/emulator) limits the usefulness. The only 64 bit apps I had were Norton AV and the OS itself. Also many drivers are not available. Just recently my MB supplier (Abit) came out with 64 bit drivers. There was no ethernet driver (I think I used an ASUS driver which worked)..those sorts of issues, which you wouldn't really expect. When more apps are available I'd be more interested in running x64 again.

13. theSpearman

theSpearman Chieftain

Drivers for that chipset come from Via at www.viaarena.com, no need to rely on Abit when you can get them direct from the original hardware manufacturer instead.

14. desmondch

desmondch Chieftain

seriously doubt its the powersupply - I'm using the new Seasonic 600W S12, with 2 optical drives, and one sataII, and apart from the 7800GTX there's nothing else, so its not even like its being stretched!

sick of this stupid game crashing ALL THE TIME :mad: And its such a heavy dog of a bloated prog too...