1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Wine Glass of distilled, purified irony. Release time.

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Baleur, Sep 21, 2010.

1. Baleur

Baleur Prince

Steam pre-orders / pre-loads. --> must wait until the retail release to give the retail stores a chance in todays digital distribution age.

Retail store pre-orders / fresh purchase. --> must wait until the steam release countdown unlocks their game and allows them to play it, nullifying the above incentive to buy from a retail store.

No, this isnt another thread about how crappy it is or to whine about it.
    It's about pure beautiful irony. It's a remarkable thing to observe, can you do anything but chuckle at it?

You need to wait for the retail release to play the game on steam.
    The retail release needs to wait for steams wait to play the game.
    It's like the grandfather time-travel paradox. :lol: :scan: :lol:

The end result is that all of us are waiting, for no purpose.
    I suspect it is Steam who managed to double-cross the retailers here, GG i must admit.

2. bhavv

bhavv Glorious World Dictator

I dont really agree with your reasons on release dates one bit.

The reason for the steam / DRM is to prevent early leaked copies sold by error at retail stors from being pirated before the games official release.

3. ZimbuTheMonkey

ZimbuTheMonkey King

There's a scheduled authentication time.

Get over it. It's neither surprising or amusing, nor is it paradoxical.

Moderator Action: avoid using offensive language on the forums

4. JakeCourtney

JakeCourtney Villain

What's the point? The people that aren't going to buy it will be playing the same time as us anyway.

5. Baleur

Baleur Prince

You dont get it? How can you not get it? :lol: It's so simple.
    Steam waits for retail, retail waits for steam.
    End result = both wait for both, whats the point?

6. gunter

gunter King

Time to take your pills, pass by, guy

7. Takeda

Takeda Warlord

The point is to prevent a leaked copy ending up on pirate bay before the game officially launches, and thus giving people added incentive to pirate when they might otherwise not do so(though they still wont go for a simultaneous worldwide release... moronically).

It also means that legitimate customers will be playing the game before pirates. As pirates have to wait for the game to be cracked and uploaded as a torrent. Which can take a few days or even weeks in some cases.

When it comes to games, a few days where it's not possible to pirate the game but it is possible to play it legitimately can make a big difference in sales.

8. 2000AD

2000AD Chieftain

Or even simpler, both are waiting for one release date. Retail isn't delaying Steam and Steam isn't delaying Retail, the release date is delaying both.

9. Baleur

Baleur Prince

Not quite, if you live outside the USA, the pirates will be playing today, the customers will be playing on friday.

10. Takeda

Takeda Warlord

yeah i mentioned that as well. That's the stupidity of a staggered release like this. All it does is encourage piracy in regions that get a later release. It's not like it would cost them anything to release it globally on the same date. It's really just a moronic convention that the industry doesn't seem smart enough to overcome.

11. KingMorgan

KingMorgan Deity

If a person owns a pre-order does that still make them a pirate?

12. MasterDinadan

MasterDinadan Warlord

Activating the game at the same time everywhere makes more sense to me than seperating it by region. Why should people on the west coast have to wait a few more hours to start playing compared to people on the east coast? With traditional retail releases, that's how it is, because the stores can't release the product before a specified date, but all that matters is the date in local time.

Digitally, this is never the case. When StarCraft II came out, all digital copies unlocked at the same time, but every person who went to a retailer could get it first. Why do the retail buyers get to start playing sooner. In the case of SC2, this could have just been means to end. They didn't want everyone activating at the same time because of the huge server load.

In the case of Civ 5, the server load is kind of a moot point. The only thing we really need to get from the server is the authentication used to decrypt the game files, and then we can start playing (and most people will be playing single player). So there's no real benefit to staggering the release. So they might as well release it simultaneously.

13. MarcusNovius

MarcusNovius Chieftain

i read somewhere the staggered release is due to rest of world tradition to release games on Fridays and USA on Tuesdays... but, does that really matter? If the game came out on a Tuesday in the UK it will still be a new release on Friday for people who go weekend shopping... im sure no one will go "oooh nooo im not buying the game as it was released on X day" :p

14. onedreamer

onedreamer Dragon

Wow, so all this mess has been put up, in YOUR opinion, merely to delay crackers of a coupla weeks? Big achievement.

edit:
    Oh yeah, I'm sure customers are extremely grateful of the existance of DRMs that do whatever they want on their PCs such as Steam, in order to be able play before pirates do. This is an extremely important concern, I know of some gamers that would not just barely not sleep at night, but literally kill themselves if they knew that pirates were playing one day ahead of them, after waiting years for the release of the game.

There is absolutely no such tradition. That tradition is with movies, not PC games. PC games have always been released whenever the publisher decided to.

15. MasterDinadan

MasterDinadan Warlord

The reasoning is probably more like this.
    Most retailers probably only need to replenish their stock of PC games once per week. If new games traditionally come out on Friday where you live, this will be the day that you arrange to have your shipment delivered.
    If games start releasing on other days, you either have to increase your shipment frequency (at significant cost) or you have to wait until several days after the release to have the item in stock (resulting in loss of business). Either way, the company is hurt by this.
    Small retailers would be hurt the most, as they can't afford to have regular shipments of electronics. Big retailers probably wouldn't be affected as they receive shipments regularly.
    So maybe this is just their way of helping small retailers not lose their business just because the big ones can afford to have it on the shelf earlier.

16. Takeda

Takeda Warlord

What a charming fellow. The thing is, from a publisher's perspective, delaying crackers for even a few days is a HUGE achievement. It can make a big difference in initial sales. Especially if it's a very highly anticipated game.

17. MarcusNovius

MarcusNovius Chieftain

good point. Although I guess a counter argument could be to order the stock for the Friday before release day then keep it in the store room.. etc etc.. either way Im sure there is a reason for it. Just frustrating for the "rest of world"

18. Tarkhan

Tarkhan King

I like my irony in an ale mug, myself. :)

10AM EST was chosen because it means that very very few stores will be open and selling the game before the unlock time, without giving Steam buyers the advantage of people being able to play at midnight the night before.

Personally, I find the whole release day thing splitting hairs, and dont see why they can't do a worldwide release at the same time.

Sorry gamestop, I don't feel bad for you being beaten out by Steam, I know how insane your markup is on used games.

19. rastak

rastak Emperor

USA should just switch to Friday.

edit: Not for this one, LOL.......for the future of course!

20. Wuddel

Wuddel Warlord

Bollocks. In Germany/Switzerland games are available in stores, just when the publisher wants to put them out. There is absolutely no fixed date.

This tradition is only with films (with a few notable exceptions), but there it is Thursdays.