1. Firaxis celebrates the "Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month", and offers a give-away of a Civ6 anthology copy (5 in total)! For all the details, please check the thread here. .
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We have selected the winners of the Old World random draw and competition. For the winning entries, please check this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Winner got three wishes, one was his own political party...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by RedRalph, Jan 26, 2008.

1. RedRalph

RedRalph Deity

From BBC.co.uk:

2. Mirc

Mirc Not mIRC!!!

:rotfl: Hahaha :lol: Sorry but I found this the best part of the article. :D

Amazing how some thieves/criminals living in slums near Rome managed to affect European politics to this degree!

3. Arwon

Arwon

I wonder what the BNP think.

4. ArneHD

ArneHD Just a little bit mad

Is there a European communist party? We (well, technically you) need one to balance things out.

5. Winner

Winner Diverse in Unity

If the thread title alludes to me, I'll have to report it. It is totally unacceptable.

Anyway, on topic: it's funny that even the most anti-EU people believe that they have to work together in the EU to achieve their goals :lol:

It kinda proves that European integration is the only way forward.

6. sysyphus

sysyphus So they tell me

They don't. That's how they got to be the way they are.

7. Arwon

Arwon

Ah. Well played.

8. classical_hero

classical_hero In whom I trust

I thought it was part of your plan for world domination. :mischief:

9. EnlightenmentHK

EnlightenmentHK Emperor

"Xenophobes of the world unite to spread our common bigotry!!"

Except, as demonstrated with the referenced example, French Xenophobes think they're superior to Italian xenophobes who think they're superior to Romanian ones. Bigotry and hatred of outsiders can united a people, but not when the outsiders you're hating are some of the people you're trying to unite with. I don't give this a serious chance of long term success. Something along the lines of evil will always stab itself in its back.

Though on a serious note, even if a small minority, the blatantness of the rhetoric coming from Europe's far right parties is a bit disturbing. I know the US has its share of xenophobic bigots in government, but if they said a tenth of the things these parties did in public they'd be lynched by the media and than the voters. Say what you want about the PC movement, but at the very least it cleaned this sort of crap up and shoved it out of public forums. Now they have to speak in code whenever they want to hate immigrants or minorities.

10. Winner

Winner Diverse in Unity

Bullcrap.

Americans don't face the same kind of problems with immigrants as Europe does and their treatment of Latin Americans is not exactly an example of a warm approach to immigration either.

Besides that, they have their own share of nutcases, like those creationists, bigotted anti-abortion, anti-homosexual, anti-atheists preachers and so on.

11. cFccFc

cFccFc Warlord

When immigration has been going on for over 30 years its not Xenophobia anymore. These men has seen the result of massimmigration to europe, and wants to end it. Big deal....

12. Brighteye

Brighteye intuitively Bayesian

I was waiting for someone to say this sort of rubbish. One can work from within or without the system for one's goals, even if those goals are to reduce the power of the system.
    If I want English independence from the UK, I can lead a revolution, or I can campaign for devolution granted by parliament, just as the Scots and Welsh have successfully done.
    If these parties were campaigning from outside the European system, staging protests and objecting to integration, someone like you would point out that they could just campaign for seats in the European parliament and block integration, if they felt that it was sch a problem.

13. Winner

Winner Diverse in Unity

If you claim that the system is illegitimate and useless, but participate on it or use it achieve your goals, you're a hypocrite.

14. RedRalph

RedRalph Deity

15. Brighteye

Brighteye intuitively Bayesian

If you claim that the system as it is has some flaws and shouldn't be pushed further then that's a reasonable position to take.

16. Winner

Winner Diverse in Unity

Europe's ultranationalists don't say that EU is flawed. They say that it is simply evil, useless and a wrong idea from the very beginning. When they team up inside an EU institution they just prove that they're nothing but a bunch of retarted hypocrites.

17. Winner

Winner Diverse in Unity

18. Benefactor

Benefactor Beneficial

19. EnlightenmentHK

EnlightenmentHK Emperor

America was dealing with an influx of new peoples, races, cultures and colors before most Europeans had seen a black man in person. You guys are hyperventilating because this is your first major experience with it in modern history. Enjoy.

20. Julian Delphiki

Julian Delphiki Anton's key

Just a little fix ;).