Winning by Diplomacy

Columbkille

Chieftain
On my most recent game I aimed to win by diplomocy. I built the United Nations in New York and when the elections ended for Secretary-General I won almost every nation's vote. When I wasgiven the chance to choose a topic to vote on a few turns later Ichose The U.N. Elections choice thinking that i would win hands down. Every nation was either pleased or friendly with me yet most abstained the vote. I tried this a few more times but each time i didn't get the necessary amount of votes to win. I just gave up on this and won culturaly.

What is the best way to influence the other civs to vote for you in the U.N. Elections?

I always leave diplomatic victory unchecked because i was always under the impression that the civs has to like you to get voted for.

I always go to war with many civs multiple times and most people dont like me.

So is it true you have to please all the civs to win a diplomatic victory? If so il keep playing with it unchecked.

I believe it helps just be friendly with the highly populated civs because of their stronger vote

Xanikk999 said:
I always leave diplomatic victory unchecked because i was always under the impression that the civs has to like you to get voted for.

I always go to war with many civs multiple times and most people dont like me.

So is it true you have to please all the civs to win a diplomatic victory? If so il keep playing with it unchecked.

It's impossible to please all the civs. You have to focus on the high-population ones. Also, unchecking Diplomatic Victory will disable the UN itself. Generally, unchecking victory conditions that you know you can't win is frowned upon since you're taking the possibility away from other players, but given how annoying the UN is in this game...

You shouldn't try to please everyone as that doesn't lead to anything. You should try to please (or preferentially already have good relationships) with some nations with large population and try to get everyone to hate your opponent. In many games this comes down to buddhist vs hinduist block (with election choices coming from opposite blocks).

But anyway, getting a diplomatic victory with less than 50% population is rather difficult, I have got it once with 25% population. Earth map, China, with fred as opponent. He was of Buddha block but his "allies" Julius and Alex were weak and hated everyone, while in my Hindu block Asoka and Cyrus were large and liked me, as did lone Jew Hatse (Genghis and Toku were taken over by me).

Top Bottom