Winning is just... unsatisfactory!

Matjillam

Warlord
I want a better winning screen! All you get to see is the demographics which you can also view in game... great...

I want to see a video of how the game played out! (just like III and IV). I want to see how my little civ started out with only one city and then starts sprawling around the whole globe! I want to see how wars and colonization took place through the whole game.

I takes all the fun away from winning :( When I can see I'm winning I just might as well go to the main menu, as it isn't any different from the victory screen.

Is a thing like this moddable at all? If not it seriously takes a lot of joy out of the game in my opinion...

is there really no winning screen? (i have yet to play a full game). I'm sure the fanboys will find a way to defend this. but even civ4 had a replay from the very start. This game needed another year of work.

is there really no winning screen? (i have yet to play a full game). I'm sure the fanboys will find a way to defend this. but even civ4 had a replay from the very start. This game needed another year of work.

I'd say I was a "fanboy" - I absolutely am loving Civ V. But I'd agree with the OP, I miss the History playthrough and movies on completing.

Having said that, the replay value is awesome... I've done all 4 victory conditions, on 4 different civs, and every game feels fresh.

(And yes, the AI needs work on Tactics and Diplomacy)

This is definitely the point that makes me the most angry... i am so pissed about this one i cant find words for that. I had tons of ideas how you could make an awesome history development after a game and i thought they would have put in at least some things that i had in my mind... but this is just... ridiculous. Players deserve a ton of information about the game they just finished and in which they spent hours of gameplay. It is so easy to implement a timeline/game history and it would give so much joy to the player.... no victory video is just the top of the iceberg...

Knightly_

They should've made endgame movies and stats...But they decided to make a photorealistic movie at the beggining and that stupid narration about your civilization and the leader of that civilization(blah,blah,blah,oh great blah,blah,blah.your civilization is blah,blah,blah.Be a good ruler):(

I believe the animated history was in the original Civilization (I). Even the graphics ;)
Interesting how some things are improved and some not...

OP - agreed. winning sucks.
I don't need a movie, though it would be nice.

In direct argument against my sig, I miss the the turn by turn fast replay with map colors and data from Civ 4.

I think it is so odd that nothing is put in or improved for this!

These games are so deep and detailed, and people put in many hours to obtain victory.

Wouldnt it be easy to program different ways to display demographics/stats/graphs and play a quick movie detailing the victory (or defeat?) you would figure at this point the ending would be Civ-specific, not just completely turfed.

I really liked the replay where you could see your (and other) civilizations slowly spreading around the world and with civs dying and some spreading around...

Yeah. I want a timeline, an animated history (wasn't this in Civ 2?) and graphs.

agreed, this is what i really want. Especially to be able to see a recap of the whole world as it develops.

I mean, there's a replay file -- why doesn't a replay play? And on that note, I have no freaking clue how to play a replay file anyway.

I want a lot more at the end, win or lose.

It is a bit of a let down. I actually like the painting and quotes, but the inability to see when different players gained then lost power, different wars that were fought and so on is disappointing. Why wouldn't they include it?

I want a timeline too, and the reason I care about an ending cinematic is because there is a victory. However if this game was a Paradox game like EU3 or Vic, I dont want one because there is no victory, which I kind of prefer, but because Civ V does have multiple victories, a nicer ending would be nice.

It is a bit of a let down. I actually like the painting and quotes, but the inability to see when different players gained then lost power, different wars that were fought and so on is disappointing. Why wouldn't they include it?

For the same reason a lot of features, especially some info display, were removed. The developers wanted new players for Civ V, and they thought too much info would intimidate them.

I enjoy winning, of course, but getting the win at the end is rather unsatisfying due to the fact that all you get is an instant popup with a static "you won" graphic and a very short voice blurb, with the "you won" screen being one of the 4 tabs of the final dialog. No video, nothing exciting at all, really. It's one of the more pathetic expressions of "winning" in a game that I've seen in a while.

Ultimately I don't care about the fluff though. In other games that have elaborate win videos and whatnot, I end up skipping thru them after seeing them once or twice. How many times do you need that kind of fist pumping cyber hurrah?

So, I miss that kind of thing, sorta, but I know my tendencies. The first time I won Civ 5 I was like - wtf, that's it?! But, once you're up to win 10+ all you want is the stats.

I was surprised then quickly offended by the "gg you've won!" ending. It's almost as if the computer was bitter that you won and takes it out on you by refusing to show you how badly they were beaten.

Yes, it's very disappointing. I won my first space race victory yesterday, and was totally uninspired. In Civ IV you could watch the rocket take off and off until it eventually disappeared. In V, it takes off while the "you have won" box is up, so you can't even see it!

While I'm not fussed about movies (wonder movies either,) not having any sort of history playback, or even a power graph, is very poor. I really hope this is something that gets put in at some point.

I can't believe they went all chincy and didn't include any victory movies. Yet another testament to the incompleteness of this release.

Top Bottom