1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Winning on Warlord

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Strategy & Tips' started by Archbob, Apr 19, 2004.

1. Archbob

Archbob Ancient CFC Guardian

I usually play French because I like he production and commerce bonus. Whats the advantage that scientific civs have for research?

2. homeyg

homeyg Chieftain

My secret (well it's not that much of a secret)... After your expansion, build these improvements in all cities in this order: Courthouse, Marketplace, Library, Bank, University. Make sure you don't forget to research the techs for Banks and Universities early so you can get started on building those quickly. This way you are maximizing your income to the treasury when you have science set high so you don't go bankrupt researching fast and you're maximizing science at the same time. This is very effective and I always use it. It's hard to describe what this strategy does, sorry if the explanation above isn't clear... This strategy combined with bankrupting the other Civs when you trade your techs (for GPT) will turn your Civ into an overwhelming economic superpower in the late game (late Middle Ages and beyond). I always have #1 on GNP in the demographics using this strat. Then in the Industrial Age, build stock exchanges in all cities. This will further increase your income to the treasury when researching at a high level. By building five stock exchanges (assuming you have 5 cities ;) ), you will be allowed to build the Wall Street small wonder. When you build this, keep your treasury over 1000 gold at all times so you get the full benefit of the Wall Street (+50 GPT). This will allow you to push your research even further. At this time, assuming you kept up with trading techs for GPT (you should have around 400 incoming GPT from other Civs), you should be able to research at 100& while still gaining a small amount of GPT. Techs will be coming in 7-10 turns at this point. You should then be able to pass the AI (you still might have to trade, you're not going to out-research them completely, just make sure you go your own separate way in the tech tree so you have something to trade) and keep a lead throughout the entire Modern Age. This is without any wonders, however I do get the ToE to make sure I don't get behind in the Industrial Age, but this is optional.

I hope this is enough for you, and I hope it may help you.

Edit: If you don't have C3C, this still works for PTW.

3. Tomoyo

Tomoyo Fate

Not really. It depends on the city. You don't build courthouses in you capital and you don't need both the tax multiplier building and the research multiplier buildings if you want to be a "super scientor"

4. homeyg

homeyg Chieftain

I know you don't need courthouses in capitals... I meant all cities besides capitals, maybe one or two exceptions in cities next to the capital.

About the tax and science buildings (this is going to be hard to explain...). Let's say you have your research at 80% and you have a city making 90 uncorrupted commerce. 72 would be put into research and 18 would be put into your alotment for the treasury. When you build the maketplace, it gives a 50% bonus, right? That would mean you are now making 27 commerce towards your treasury. It might not seem like alot, but with all cities with marketplaces it may even give you enough of a boost to increase your science 1 notch. Then combined with the marketplaces, when you add in libraries, that's a 50% bonus to research. Using the example, that would give you 108 commerce to science, along with 27 commerce to your treasury, at 80%. If you increase the science 1 notch to 90%, you will get a base of 81 commerce to science and a base of 9 commerce to treasury. Now add in the marketplaces and libraries, and voila! 121.5 commerce to science and 13.5 commerce to the treasury. Without the marketplace, you will end up with only 9 commerce instead of 13.5. What if you had nine troops to support? If you had that boost from the marketplace, you would still be making 4(.5) gold (this may be rounded up, I'm not sure).

I was only describing to him how to super research without going bankrupt. Without the marketplaces, you will make less when you move the science slider up than you will when you don't have any at all.

5. Jurimax

Jurimax Duke of Flanders

You seem to have forgotten the really biggest benefit from Marketplaces: the effect of your luxuries is much bigger in a city with a Marketplace:
    - 3rd & 4th lux.: 2 happy
    - 5th & 6th lux.: 3 happy
    - 7th & 8th lux.: 4 happy

So a small comparison:
    A city witout a marketplace and with 8 luxuries gets 8 happy citizens
    A city with a marketplace and 8 luxuries gets: 1 + 1 + 2 + 2 + 3 + 3 + 4 + 4 = 20 happy citizens :eek: :eek:

Greetz Jurimax

6. homeyg

homeyg Chieftain

Yes, this will make it so you also don't have to worry about the luxury slider if you can get your hands on enough luxuries...

7. Tomoyo

Tomoyo Fate

Your example is true, but I almost never run anything except 100% or 0% science. When I can fund 100% science by selling techs, the banks go out the window. (As opposed to through the roof. :D)

Not if your Republic has 100% War weariness...

8. homeyg

homeyg Chieftain

Your so critical!! (just kidding :p )

9. Balázs

Balázs Chieftain

Hi!

Somebody asked about those scientists.

Well here are their advantages:

Library, University and Science(or Research?) Lab are produced at half costs.

Begins with Bronze Working.

Right at the begining of Mediaval age he acquires:
    Engeneering.

At Industrial age:
    Medicine

At Modern age:
    Probably: Computers.

That's all.

10. Tomoyo

Tomoyo Fate

I think this is a random tech, not a pre-determined tech.

In C3C, they also have a higher chance of getting a SGL.

11. Balázs

Balázs Chieftain

Hi!

Tomoyo:

Look, it is not statistical, but I had 5 out of 5 those techs.

Don't know if that's random, but that was I had experienced.

Empiria over suggestion. :).

Conquest: don't know about SGL.
    I had only one, with the Greeks: Aristotele. And no Military leader.
    Maybe it depends heavily on the game's difficulty(I received Aristotele on Monarch, and noone on Demi-god).

Maybe the there is a formula for each nation about what they receive as free tech.

That's all.