1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Winning -- other than Diplomatic?

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Strategy & Tips' started by onomastikon, Jul 4, 2005.

1. onomastikon

onomastikon Dual Wielding Banjos

Hello, I have now just finished my fourth game -- I have played one each on Chieftan, Warlord, Regent, and Monarch -- with yet again another Diplomatic victory.
    This game, at least, wasnt a complete pushover.
    I did, however, find it much easier and "better" (as described shortly below) to achieve a Diplo-Vic than anything else other than military (which I wont do unless pushed to it by the AIs, and if that should happen consistently on higher levels, I will probably end up quitting the game, since I really truly dislike Civ3 as a wargame).
    The context: I play Civ3 Vanilla, will soon start my fifth game on Emporer. Have played standard maps so far, each time with me being Egypt on a middle continental map with the normal (7?) random opponents.

Why I am posting: At the beginning of this last game, Monarch, I swore: I will try a different Victory than Diplo this game. I will go for Space Race.
    Reason for above: I found it very easy to win Diplo in the other games and wanted to try a new victory which was not military (for above reasons).
    Actually, I wanted to try that last game too (Regent), but the game just got so BORING during the last phase that I just couldnt resist building the UN and holding elections, since I found it very easy to bribe the others into liking you.
    But this game (Monarch), too, had me as the clear winner when going into Modern Times. And I just couldnt bear to finish out the whole Space tech; I had build a lot of Spearmen back then, since I concentrated on getting the Workshop, and had an army of Mech Infantry and a whole bunch of tanks, while the others were still running about with Infantry or worse; I had a huge empire of happy citizens with tons of extra resources of all types and every single tile covered with nice little railroads and whatnot, and I was leading in tech. So I couldnt resist building the UN, agreeing to a bunch of MPPs or giving otherwise nice bribes, and then ending the game, because it seems to me that once you have RRs everywhere, there isnt really very much of anything else to do. I couldnt deal with playing the turns out to the end of the Space Race, so Diplo again.

So my question is: BESIDES MILITARY, what Victory Conditions would you suggest for my fifth game (Emperor)? (I have read that the jump from Monarch to Emp is tough, and I suppose that is good. I found Monarch to be challenging during Ancient and to some degree Renaissance, but then a pushover. Just so you know, I dont want to sound cocky, since I KNOW I AM STILL A NEWB.) I just want to know:
    - Do you folks every get other Victories other than Diplo,
    - and is there consensus that Diplo is the easiest
    - or does that all change with higher diff levels
    - and what would you suggest for me?

Thanks!

2. brennan

brennan Argumentative Brit

Yes, you should find Emperor more of a challenge, the AIs' built-in advantages of lower build costs/better trade rates/more start units really make things harder on Emp.

What sort of games are you playing? Larger maps with more civs raise the difficulty level, since it is harder for you to build up a lead and there is more tech trading between the AI.

Try a 20k 1CC.

3. Vilati Timmadar

Vilati Timmadar Chieftain

Try a cultural victory! Or a victory by score and prevent everyone from winning somehow else.

My victories are in most cases score-victories...I've had one diplomatic victory so far...

I think you're too good for those low levels. If the game's too easy, you play at a difficulty level not matching your skills.

4. gmaharriet

gmaharriet Ancient Crone

If you want to have something other than diplo, just uncheck the box for diplo as a victory condition. That will force you to go for something else.

I've never done this, but I guess you could also uncheck the boxes for domination and conquest victories as well. I've always wondered if doing this would change the AI strategies as well.

5. Desertsnow

Desertsnow πr²

:egypt: Cultural victory is my favorite victory condition, and it's pretty easy with Egypt. Just keep expanding, and build those cheap temples and cathedrals; coversely you can go for subtler goal of the 20k culture victory, with 20 000 culture-points in one city, though you'll probably have to put a Wonder or three in such city to achieve this; or as Brennan suggested, do it as a one city challenge.

6. onomastikon

onomastikon Dual Wielding Banjos

Hey, thank you very much! Uncheck the box... doh, never thought of that!

7. Himalia

Himalia Overlord of Eternity.

In my opinion if the game gos on that far diplomacey is almost always the easy way towards victiory. The Ai can be bribed well on any level.

Im must say i find the one city 20k victory alot easier than the empire total 100k victory. When i try for a 100k victiory more often that not i end up with one of my cities reaching 20k before that point.

8. garyg

garyg Beer Snob

I find diplo victory like a safety valve. If the game is deadlocked and I need an out.
    If your a builder Cultural Victory is a fun way to go.
    A Scientific/Religious Civ would be the easiest, cheap temples and libraries.
    The thing to remember about Cultural victory is if you go 100k is you need to not only go over 100k but have twice as many Cultural points as anyone else. I think I was at 170k when I won my last one.

9. Xerol

Xerol Chieftain

You're definitely going to need to take some offensive wars at higher levels to have a better chance of winning - some people can do 5CC Diety, but considering you're still moving up, that's not going to happen. Try taking a step back to Regent (or Monarch again) and go for a Conquest or Domination victory. It's a different game than a builder one, but allows you to learn some good strategies for fighting defensive/expansive wars if you're going for something like 100k, where you need a lot of cities.