1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

winning with the un

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Strategy & Tips' started by Ghafhi, Jul 22, 2005.

1. Ghafhi

Ghafhi Chieftain

I was just wondering if it is possible. The only way I heard of winning was by getting the world to declare war in a mmp and ma against the second strongest country. Just wondering if there was a more diplomatice way to win. I always build the un so that the other nations don't get to end the game by not voting for me.

2. bingen

bingen Chieftain

The AIs will vote for you if you have been nice to them. Give them gifts if necessary.

You can also get peaceful wins through culture and with a spaceship launch.

3. Pentium

Pentium Digital Matter

If you've been nice to the AI, you won't need MA and MPP agains your opponent. On the other hand, they won't ensure you'll win.

4. Babbler

Babbler Chieftain

When the United Nations is one turn away, save your game. Start bribing your opponates with everything you got -- maps, techs, lump sum gold, resources, women ;) -- and get them to "grasious" or at least "polite"

Or if you want, don't hold elections, and win by other means.

5. wilbill

wilbill That Old Time Religion

Sure there is. Don't start any wars, never break a deal, read Bamspeedy's article on AI attitude in the War College and keep the AI's attitude toward you as good as possible. Make sure you control over 25% of either area or population. Be sure you build the UN, then go ahead and allow the vote when you're asked. You're fairly likely to win. But you might not.

It's not very exciting, but it is challenging, especially if you start the game surrounded by agressive AI's.

6. Pentium

Pentium Digital Matter

If you build the UN, you don't need 25% of anything.

7. seanos08

seanos08 Monarch

The only way to guarantee a vote in you favour or at least an abstention is to get that civ to be at war with the other contender.

This is done by:-
    1 Declaring war on the biggest AI civ
    2 Bribing every other civ into a military alliance against them.

8. cleverhandle

cleverhandle Chieftain

I disagree on the "not exciting" part. One of the best games I've played had the unlikely outcome of a diplomatic win by Germany on Monarch standard continents. And that was what I call a "legit" diplomatic win - not using MA's or MPP's. In fact, I was never once at war the entire game. Lots of trading and diplomacy, making sure that the AI's fought one another and had the tech and resources necessary to do so in the most beneficial way (to me). By the end of the game I had tech and economic dominance despite being 4th in land area. It was a nail-biter of a game in a lot of parts, and more exciting to me than just building up vast stacks of tanks and artillery to roll over everything.

9. vapa

vapa Chieftain

The easyest way is to make mpp with over 50% of civs.

10. Heroes

Heroes Heroes of Might and Magic

Germany is military, so if you don't war, you are playing with only 1 trait ...

11. cleverhandle

cleverhandle Chieftain

Yes, I was aware of that. I know it sounds stupid, but given the details of the geography and other AI's I think it was the best choice. In a nutshell, I had a decent chunk of land, all strategic resources, and 3 or 4 native luxuries but France (who was also big) was my only contact until near the end of Ancient Times. That left me with a huge tech lag to overcome against the other civs, but also with an accomodating neighbor. It was easier to maintain my good relations with them and then play the other civs off against one another than it would have been to wage wars. Like I said, "unlikely".

It's all about geography - I started the game looking forward to lots of bloody Knight/Cavalry/Panzer blitzes, but it just didn't make sense.