Winter 2015 Update now live!

One more thing to the pile is that custom sponsors (mods) and original sponsors still can't be used at the same time on graphical settings higher than the lowest available. Which means no animation/voices at all from the existing sponsors.
Since I really want more sponsors than the ones we have (we can have 12 max in game) and I actually like to have the animation from the ones that are in game I have to give each sponsor mod the animation of one of the existing sponsors and suddenly they all work at the highest graph levels. A bit weird to have for example two Hatuma lookalikes but they probably go for a different affinity anyway.
This was the same problem in CIV5 but their it was patched very fast. Why was it in again for the first place and why wasn't it properly fixed in the patch before this one is a riddle to me. The 2d pictures from mods show up on higher setting now as long as you don't have 1 of the original sponsors in game (game crashes at first landing of an opponent), which kills the whole purpose of adding new sponsors for me.

Can anyone tell me if they've finally got workers autoworking in miasma to "wake" when they are down to one health?

It's a tiny thing but of all the things that grate on me, losing workers to miasma is the most annoying. It's simple to fix. There's a mod out there already that does it. But why should I have to play with mods and not get achievements when it just takes a couple of lines of code for Firaxis to fix? And so flipping fundamental to game play.

So, please, please, I found nothing in the patch notes about it...is it fixed? I haven't played since the November, because I got sooo annoyed by this issue.

Nope.

And this kinda of "helpful little thing" feature is the type that will never be added to the game.

I wish developers would just come and say "this mod is really good, so we're patching it into the base game, thanks <steamuser> for writing these lines of code for us!" or something.

Part of the User Interface Tweaks DLC-Mod is a notification when a unit is about to die in Miasma though, so that shouldn't be an issue as Fake-DLC doesn't disable achievements.

Is out there any in-game option or mod that comes up with a notification when a city grows to 10, 22, etc pop? I always forget to build another trade convoy when a slot becomes available. If someone makes a mod of it I would be very happy.

Can anyone tell me if they've finally got workers autoworking in miasma to "wake" when they are down to one health?

It's a tiny thing but of all the things that grate on me, losing workers to miasma is the most annoying. It's simple to fix. There's a mod out there already that does it. But why should I have to play with mods and not get achievements when it just takes a couple of lines of code for Firaxis to fix? And so flipping fundamental to game play.

So, please, please, I found nothing in the patch notes about it...is it fixed? I haven't played since the November, because I got sooo annoyed by this issue.

I am curious as to how many AI units die to miasma each game. And it is an annoyance to have to keep checking.

That said, I think I've lost one worker this way in my entire playtime of Beyond Earth. When you say "workers autoworking", do you mean to say that you automate your workers? Because that's a terrible way to play any civ game.

Is out there any in-game option or mod that comes up with a notification when a city grows to 10, 22, etc pop? I always forget to build another trade convoy when a slot becomes available. If someone makes a mod of it I would be very happy.

So rather, a "new trade route slot is available" notification. A good idea; I like it. :goodjob:

Gort said:
I am curious as to how many AI units die to miasma each game.

If you use FireTuner, you can set the game on autoplay and watch the AI melt. :lol:

Gort said:
That said, I think I've lost one worker this way in my entire playtime of Beyond Earth. When you say "workers autoworking", do you mean to say that you automate your workers? Because that's a terrible way to play any civ game.

Yeah, I don't remember ever losing a worker, but explorers that I forget to move are a different story. :blush:

Indeed, it's not the ideal way to play, and I personally like to be in control of everything as well, but for others it's more enjoyable. Firaxis probably should address it if they're going to have automated workers as a feature in their game.

Have you ever lost an automated explorer to miasma? They seem to be more intelligent at not dying from it. Do they auto fortify until healed? If they do the same script could be set for workers.

Have you ever lost an automated explorer to miasma? They seem to be more intelligent at not dying from it. Do they auto fortify until healed? If they do the same script could be set for workers.

Nope, I don't automate -- especially explorers, the exploration phase is fun!

Mine used to die when I forgot to stop my expedition short and move out of the miasma to heal. Then, I came to my senses and just started doing it much earlier instead of waiting until the explorer was nearly dead. Or, just pick up a Harmony affinity point.

Is this for the mac too? I got mine from the app store and there isn't an update yet.

I am curious as to how many AI units die to miasma each game. And it is an annoyance to have to keep checking.

No, I mean auto-road building. I never keep track of where the worker is. I forget there might be miasma in the way. Or even if I remember, I forget a couple of turns later. And then they die.

Othertimes I set them to build an improvement on a miasma tile. The improvement might take more than 10 turns - draining swamp, building farm, for instance. I forget about it. Bamm. Dead.

In the first game I played right after the Autumn patch I lost close to 10 workers this way - especially the auto roadbuilding trick. You capture a new city. Set a worker to build a road to it. Get caught up in other things. Bamm, dead worker. SOOOOOO ANNOYING!

I fired up this new patched game last night and lost a worker after 30 turns I think.....gah.

This kind of half thought rubbish convinces me that the devs DON'T actually play the game. And have probably never played it! Because if they had actually played it, they'd know how annoying it is and write the damn code!

I'll look up that UI tweak DLC and see if it helps and doesn't lock out achievements. But to be honest, I'm too annoyed by Firaxis's attitude to really get into this game anymore. no matter about patch changes. This simlpe tiny thing is so fundamental to good game design and it is still, 2 patches later MISSING :(

So rather, a "new trade route slot is available" notification. A good idea; I like it. :goodjob:
I'd be happy with a trade route counter beneath the city banner. Civ5 had a global trade route counter, Civ:BE should have the appropriate counterpart.

workers and explorers should be immune to miasma from turn 1. I lost numerous workers and explorers to miasma. I played on quick.

were the devs not audacious enough? :lol:
seriously, the devs should play their game once in a while.

What are your thoughts on the game since the patch dropped?

I've not played the game for a while - since patch 1, in fact. I've been pleasantly surprised by the game I played yesterday.

I enjoyed it! Which I didn't expect. That's not to say I think the game is completely where it needs to be. But it's definitely moving in the right direction.

Probably, part of the reason I enjoyed myself was because I was exploring a rebalanced game and so having to think up new strategies. The game was a challenge and being challenged is better than being bored, after all. Maybe after playing a few more hours I will change my mind - too early to say. But my general impression after yesterday's game left me optimistic.

The nerfing of trade routes has had a huge impact. Just massive.

The game I played yesterday had various layers of depth I hadn't experienced before. I gave up playing back in December after the first patch because the game seemed about as subtle as a brick. Now I find it different. A crude example, but a simple step in the right direction: I actually built solar collectors for the first time - I never needed them in past. Orbital layer? Aah, that's why it's important.

I feel it's effected affinities, affinity levelling and the tech web too, in a good way too.

I read in a different thread how someone was comparing the web to the CiV tree. The comparison favoured the tree because it feels like a race - can I reach machinery before the AI, and rush some xbows? Can I get to Dynamite first and rush artillery. Or rush a wonder tech etc?

My post patch game (Soyuz, standard, standard) was fairly neck and neck with KP throughout and I started to feel some of that "race". As I watched her affinity levels climb higher than mine and had to make choices between digressing to catch a tech for a tile improvement or a sat I wanted, or keep pushing up the affinity ladder, I, dare I say it, got excited..

Militarily, it sort of worked - sort of. I was way ahead of my neighbours regards affinities - so its hard to tell. If KP had been my immediate neighbour, things might have been more tense. However, this does still seem like the weakest part of the way affinites and the tech tree runs - but maybe with a little more elaboration it will become stronger. I sort of felt like I was in a race - but as I purposefully wasn't playing warlike, I can't really tell how good it is.

I always liked the concepts behind affinities and the tech web. But I always felt they were implemented poorly. Now I'm starting to think, they were just obliterated and lost beneath the trade routes simplicity and OP nature. Bottom line I had a sense that my choices mattered- which I hadn't in the past. It was enjoyable.

I still have many grumbles -not least with the terrible UI.

I think my biggest grumble is with wonders. As many, many other players have written they still seem fairly meh to me. I didn't build a single one. And I didn't see a single one that I felt, hey, I really need to snag that, that will bump me up a few rungs of the development ladder. Also, as many others have written - they all come too late. Most of them are attached to outer leaf techs. There are zero "ancient" world techs - no "great library" or "stone henge" to try and snag in the first few turns. This is the biggest problem with the game in my view. If they placed more of the wonders in earlier techs, off the affinity routes (most importantly) and made them more meaningful - then the choice of digressing and snagging a wonder -weighed against the choice of moving up the affinity ladder would be more meaningful. Much more meaningful and the game would get more edge.

Regards the debate about AI "personality". I sort of fell into the camp that felt they were bland. But during yesterday's game, their "personalities" didn't seem important. I was too involved in making decisions and exploring choices. There's an old editing trick that dates back to Sergei Eisenstein and Russian silent cinema. He noticed that if you edited a shot of a silent woman's face immediately after a crying child -the audience thought the woman was sad. If you used the same shot and then a church - she was parying. Same shot and a happy family, she was full of joy. I'm wondering if my feeling of blandness about AI personalities was actually created by the blandness of the game as it was in that earlier state..

Anyway, I didn't see any other thread about thoughts regarding patch 2, so I thought I'd post mine here. feel free to merge it, if there's another one.

workers and explorers should be immune to miasma from turn 1. I lost numerous workers and explorers to miasma. I played on quick.

were the devs not audacious enough? :lol:
seriously, the devs should play their game once in a while.
Yeah, and armies should be immune too, because I've lost a soldier or two! o_O It's a gameplay-element, it's supposed to be somewhat annoying. The real problem has already been stated - there's no warning by default and the automation unfortunately doesn't seem to know how to handle miasma.

Moderator Action: Some positive thoughts regards patch 2 merged with Winter 2015 Update

Or you could improve your gameplay by realising when they're in miasma and how long they'll be in it for.

It's helpful posters like yourself and your helpful attitude that drove me away from this website in the past. Congratulations, you've just succeeded in making me take a break from the forum again.

Moderator Action: Please use the reporting function to report a post that you don't like instead of posting about it.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Top Bottom