Winter break in England

Shabbaman

rebuffing the rebels
So, the premiership FC's agreed with it: there'll be a two week break in january next year. Good for the players? I think so. Good for teams in bad form to regain their shape as well. IOW, it might bring the competition overall to a higher level.

I don't know any different, but undoubtly there are some conservative brits on this boards who think otherwise. Tell me.

I don't mind, the only thing will be how they spread out the games that would normally be played over winter as whilst the rest of Europe stops playing we traditionally have more games...

well that cold days in january at the football gone. at leat they kept the boxing day games

With modern pitches and stadia the old reasons for not playing games in jan have largely gone. But if it means that players have a chance to recover from injury, then I support the idea. Most teams I suspect will simply go to some exotic training resort and train anyway. Top athletes cant afford a two week break from fitness training.

I agree with Col. Not a single player will benefit from it. On the training pitch happen as many incidents as in the stadium.

The advantage is probably that we now match several other leagues in Europe in also having a winter break.

Bad idea. I don't see any reason for it, and the fans won't enjoy it.

The Nationwide is so much better. :p

Potentially it could be good but I fear like earlier posters have said that clubs will arnage intensive training or even more a risk they will arrange friendlies during the break to bring in extra revenue so negating the whole idea! (Didn't Scoctish premiership teams do this in their break over the last year or two ??)

How would they fit the games in? Would they start playing in July? – They finish the season too close to the summer EC and WC as it is, so the season surely can’t finish even later.
Or perhaps they would reduce the number in the Premiership to 18. (Something I would agree with).

BTW, although they would continue to train etc., it would be a good mental break if nothing else.

Originally posted by Mega Tsunami
Or perhaps they would reduce the number in the Premiership to 18. (Something I would agree with).

Why? I certainly don't see a reason for decreasing the number of teams..20 is as low as it should go.

We would be standardised with Europe, all the top leagues would have the same amount of games. In no way would it hurt the bigger premiership clubs.

Note: This doesn't mean that I support reucing the size.

Spain (the world's best league) and France both have 20 teams.

I don't see the sense in changing it just because other European countries have less teams. If anything, shouldn't the rest of Europe change to fit in with the top rated leagues in the world?

Just lying back and thinking of England. The general consensus at the last World Cup was that both England’s first team (Becks etc) and England’s 2nd team (France :) ) were knackered.
Too many games.

This man knows what he's talking about.

Sir Alex Ferguson:

”Well, it’s only 29 years I’ve been talking about it! I think the FA must have known that the 30 years coming up, that they didn’t wanted to get to that. It would have been a landmark! But, I’m delighted. It’s the right thing, no question about it. Not just for the players but for the coaches also. It will add that bit of freshness because December in our country is quite an exhausting month; the number of games, Boxing Day and New Year’s Day fixtures. The games are always cramped together. I think a two-week break will do the players and the coaches the power of good.”

Link

Originally posted by WickedSmurf
This man knows what he's talking about. Sir Alex Ferguson
paranoid - moi. so this is all an FA plot sir alex.
the man who, commenting on potential purchases from usa said that "americans are the worlds fittest race" ?? firstly - a race? secondly - perhaps he meant to say fattest.
if this is such a good idea how come when soton didnt have a cup game to play they arranged a friendly with B Munchen?

It's a nonsense, this idea of needing a break. Players have coped for years without one and I don't see a reason for one now. I certainly don't see any need for Alex Ferguson to complain, it's not as if he's truly suffering - it's not as if he has one of the smaller squads.

I agree aswell, that would be 4 less games a season and teams are always complaining about how many games they have to play.

Top Bottom