Winter Sale - DLCs still full price!?

That Australia sale makes me wonder if there are or will be one-off sales of other DLC elsewhere. If anyone spies such sales, your fellow fanatics would appreciate a link. :cool:

It's stupid that the DLC's aren't discounted yet. Will people have to wait for Civ VI Complete edition to get them at a discount?!?

I was lucky because I picked up the Deluxe edition for €60 of Green Man Gaming, but I feel for people who had no idea that the deluxe edition would have all the DLC it has and got the standard edition of Civ VI.

The difficulty with DLC pricing is that once they go below a price of about $4.99 on any item that can be sold by itself, the transaction fees are eating up most of their profit. So I think the only way you're normally going to see DLC on sale is in bundles.

Reactions: cvb
The difficulty with DLC pricing is that once they go below a price of about $4.99 on any item that can be sold by itself, the transaction fees are eating up most of their profit. So I think the only way you're normally going to see DLC on sale is in bundles.

As far as I remember I bought all (or at least most) Civ 5 DLCs for <3 € before the expansion was released.

And there are currently 11901 Steam games on sale for under 5€, including 1197 games with a price tag of 0.49€. Is the transaction fee some USA-specific thing? I thought Valve just takes a certain % from all sales.

Valve takes a % (about a third), but the thing that really hurts small-amount sales is the fee charged by whatever payment method you're using (usually a credit card or PayPal). On a $1 payment, the fee is usually something like $0.33. So if you buy a dozen $1 games, the amount is aggregated and the payment fee is negligible, but if you just buy a single $1 game, the developer gets something like $0.15 (assuming they have a publisher with which they have to split sales, as Firaxis does with 2K). Also note that if a game is returned, it's the developer that has to eat the cost of the transaction fees.

This is why microtransactions don't work very well unless they are aggregated, and why the proposed Patreon changes were such a big deal.

Last edited:
That Australia sale makes me wonder if there are or will be one-off sales of other DLC elsewhere. If anyone spies such sales, your fellow fanatics would appreciate a link. :cool:
Sites like IsThereAnyDeal keep track of stuff like this though it is kind of iffy. The Australia DLC for example has multiple entries on the site under different names, and only one of them quotes the deal posted in this thread. Gamersgate apparently sells Mac versions of Poland and Vikings for 3.50 each rather than 5.00 for Windows which confuses me. I would have thought activating DLC on Steam for the Mac version would give it to you on Windows too . I don't know how trustworthy that site is anyway.

Top Bottom