Winter Sale - DLCs still full price!?

h0nk0815

Prince
Will the DLCs ever be on sale?! I put all my hopes on the winter sale, but they are not reduced. :( Which leads to the weird situation that the deluxe ed (which includes base game (29,99€) and all DLCs) is with 39,99 € as expensive as all DLCs together (38,- €). Can somebody explain this price policy to me?

All I can think is they're trying to punish/milk those of us who didn't buy the deluxe edition. It's really annoying.

Well, they wouldn't put it that way. They undoubtedly brought in less money than expected with the DLC after including the last two with the deluxe edition. So they're trying to make up for that. By making those of us who didn't buy the deluxe pay full price. Even a year after the DLC came out.

I get the last two still being full price - there's value in playing sooner than those who wait for discounts. But throw a bone to those of us who have waited patiently over a year...

Yup, I am not paying full price for DLCs. They better put them on sale if they want sales cuz they ain't getting my money otherwise! Ridiculous how they are selling individual civs at the current prices.

This, it will be on sale at some point
^^
This, right? Don't the sale items change every day? So there's still two weeks to go.

They were already on sale for me (free really), I preorderd Civ VI Deluxe through GMG back in June 2016 and I paid less than just buying Civ VI by itself: $58.39.

I'm honestly not expecting the DLCs to go on sale until after Rise & Fall drops, at the very earliest. It wouldn't surprise me if they weren't put on sale until after new after that comes out.

Its now obvious to me that they're going to somehow package them with Rise and Fall in some sort a deluxe edition.

Nobody's obliged to put stuff on sale, you know.
Yes, nobody's obliged to do anything but that's a bit of a non-remark. There isn't anything wrong with discussing disappointment in the sales model, especially because early adopters get gouged.
New players now have full knowledge of the deluxe and so get a handy bundle. If you already have the game it's practically the same price as buying a whole new license which is disappointing. Maybe they think keeping the price fixed gives the impression of added value which would be odd, because many are just not going to buy it unless it falls below a certain threshold (regardless of how meagre a saving it seems to be in the long run).

Firaxis' pricing model is strange though. I could've sworn that a few years ago Civ V complete was in the €50 range. Now its standard price on Steam is over €130 apparently. They used to do an 'upgrade' option and everything IIRC.

Its now obvious to me that they're going to somehow package them with Rise and Fall in some sort a deluxe edition.
This one is the 'Gold edition' ...

The big milestones of the game development are the base game, the 1st expansion & the 2nd expansion - i.e. the 'deluxe', the 'gold' & the 'complete edition' including all content released up to this date at about the same price. You can get apart items beforehand (when reaching completion in each case) at a higher added up price.

See also (german) civ5_versions
I could've sworn that a few years ago Civ V complete was in the €50 range. Now its standard price on Steam is over €130 apparently.
Maybe that is the real advantage of personalized advertising: individual prices. :goodjob:

I see Sid Meier's Civilization® V: Complete edition @ 11,26€

(Sid Meier's Civilization V: 7,49€ // Sid Meier's Civilization V: Gods and Kings: 7,50€ // Sid Meier's Civilization V: Brave New World: 7,49€ // Civilization V: Cradle of Civilization - DLC Bundle: 1,99€)

[[[EDIT: my prices are from 'http://store.steampowered.com/bundle/575/Sid_Meiers_Civilization_V_Complete/']]]

Last edited:
I really don't understand the outrage regarding the prices of DLC. If you consider how much entertainment value you receive for those 10 dollar/euro/pounds/whatevers, it's really not that expensive. If you play only a bare minimum of 2 games with any of the bought civs, you're paying about 1 currency an hour.

Then there's a scenario, added wonders, city-states, new music, features (e.g. religion overhaul) and the more fleshed-out game when you play as a different civ, cause of the more diverse opponents.

If you spend 5 minutes at your local arcade, you already spent more than that... (yes, arcades still exist. I was in one only 2 weeks ago)

I'm really frustrated that they keep the DLCs off sale. I'm ok with getting them later for not having pre-ordered the DE, but I have waited quite a while by now, and the fact that new players can come in and buy the DE - including ALL DLCs - at a lower price than I payed for the standard edition when pre-ordering is a bit of a slap in my face, tbh.
Oddly, the Australian (and only the Australian) DLC is on sale for $1.24 here.
How does this work, does this work together with Steam? If I have bought the game through Steam, can I buy the DLC here, and will my Steam account recognize it, or is that not possible?

How does this work, does this work together with Steam? If I have bought the game through Steam, can I buy the DLC here, and will my Steam account recognize it, or is that not possible?
I just bought it there. They showed a steam key once I paid that I entered into my steam account, and Australia showed up in my account. I haven't started the game, but I assume it will work like any other DLC.

Reactions: cvb
I see Sid Meier's Civilization® V: Complete edition @ 11,26€
It's 11.26 at the moment because of the Winter sale but this is knocked down from 136.84, at least for me.

Civ 6 is bound to Steam so yes. You receive a steam code and download the DLC from Steam's servers.

Top Bottom