1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[GS] Winter (September)(?) 2019 Patch speculation and discussion thread.

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by acluewithout, Jun 20, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mitsho

mitsho Deity

I feel they got ancient navies wrong in general. The first ship should be ranged to be able to interact with the land (or do "raids" on barb huts and goodie villages), then the counter to that should be melee. Not the other way around :) So i agree, naval needs a rework.

Weraptor, Atlas627, Julia97 and 4 others like this.
  2. Elhoim

Elhoim Iron Tower Studio Dev

Since they were reworking the IZ...

- There should be an adjacency bonus for power improvements (solar and wind plants).
    - Adjacency bonus on the coal plant should be tweaked. It's very powerful, and if you have green energy or a nuclear plant providing power, it has no drawbacks. It could be given to the factory, and the coal plant a bigger power radius to compensate?

Caprikel and Pietato like this.
  3. shaglio

shaglio The Prince of Dorkness

What I would like to see in the patch is the addition of Small Continents and (maybe) Seven Seas to the Shuffle option. Or, as I’ve been wanting as far back as the Civ 5 days, a checkbox list for the player to select which maps he/she wants included in the Shuffle options.

sonicmyst likes this.
  4. lotrmith

lotrmith Prince

Sounds accurate enough for ancient era sailing.

I suppose barbs should probably spawn galleys instead of quads, because quads are the stronger tech after all.

5. acluewithout

acluewithout Deity

Pretty much all of this.

I think I’d rather Privateer be the resourceless class for naval, so you always have the ability to harass more powerful Civs.

I’m okay with Naval Ranged being powerful, and Naval being more about ranged combat generally, but then Naval melee need something to make them more worthwhile. Stronger defence would work - maybe even buffing defence of adjacent units.

Resource costs for Naval units need to be halved. It’s way too crushing having resources for Naval, Land and Power.

TrailblazingScot and Icicle like this.
  6. Elhoim

- They should allow building districts on top of resources. First, they allow it with cities, second, they can appear under districts and work correctly, third, every time you discover a tech that show them, there's a chance they'll break the district planning you've been doing.

Buni0ns, Weraptor, Banazir864 and 5 others like this.
  7. iammaxhailme

iammaxhailme Emperor

Definitely. Districts should have been allowed on luxues and strategics from the start.

Buni0ns and Banazir864 like this.
  8. Sostratus

Sostratus Emperor

This change would make Germany even stronger, oh my goodness

But you have two immovable object classes: lux/strat resources, and districts. There's no reason to sacrifice the map choices created by those resources when one could also have a remove/relocate district functionality. Personally i feel the big downside of how things are now is that the yields on lux and strat tiles for the most part are quite lackluster. You should really hope they don't pop under your campus and instead under a mine or farm so you can reap the rewards. If such a feature existed then I would even be happy with not getting strategic resource extraction if a non-city center district is on the tile. And perhaps add a city center building needed to extract it in that case!
    (Also, I know there were some comments in another thread about the historical accuracy of moving a district. A famous example from my home state! We gotta get to that iron, boys!)

9. shaglio

shaglio The Prince of Dorkness

This is why I often delay researching the tech that reveals Archeological Sites. So many times they’ve ruined my placement when I either never bothered to build a Theater Square or I’ve already built an Art Museum.

ETA - yes I know Archeological Sites aren’t resources, but they are revealed the same way Strategic Resources are.

Meluhhan, Trav'ling Canuck and 679x like this.
  10. 679x

679x Warlord

Exactly! I delay that civic frequently as well for the same reason. In my games it always seems to be inevitable that at least one tile for either a district or a prime spot for a certain improvement (farm cluster, etc) is blocked by one of those archaeological sites. Being able to place districts on them solves the problem with the district, but it'd be nice to place improvements on top of them too.

With that, then, perhaps there should be a way to destroy archaeological sites in your territory, or at least 'cover them up' so you can place something on top of it but give up the ability to actually extract it in the future - in this case, other civs could still be able to extract it if they are able to enter your territory, which would prevent players from abusing the ability to destroy a site to prevent foreign powers from accessing them. Maybe that'd be too complicated, but it would completely solve the problem of revealed archaeological sites getting in your way no matter what you're trying to build there (wonders, districts, improvements), while also not being something one could abuse.

11. Trav'ling Canuck

Trav'ling Canuck Deity

Only half serious about this, but you shouldn't be able to find some archeological sites until you try to place a city / district / improvement / wonder on them.

Then they delay the construction for 5 turns, but at the end of the delay you get a new Artifact.

12. The googles do nothing

The googles do nothing Prince

I've never liked that you can settle on a resource and get the benifit. Getting the same benefit as chopping would make sense Trees get removed but not oranges? What do they think oranges grow on? I doubt that will change as selling luxes to the AI is such a popular strat for many players.

13. Elhoim

The main problem is that the resource tiles don't mesh very well with the districts system. Most of the time, they are a problem, but lately they've been integrating them like in the industrial zone rework, which is great. I would go with this for a full re-work:

- You can't build on them. About them appearing under districts, I would either re-work the code to search for empty tiles, or remove the districts (which is not going to happen in Civ 6).
    - Give them better yields when improved, or increase the yields via tech/civic tree.
    - They should have adjacency with districts. Strategic should give +1 to campus, industrial and commercial. Luxury should give +1 to holy, theater and commercial. So instead of being an annoyance, their appearance should give cool benefits and synergies.
    - Finally, increase the city building range to 4 (from 3). The game is now cramped up too much with all the new districts, resources, mountains, improvements and city overlap. Having more options on which tiles to work or districts to place.

14. Sostratus

Sostratus Emperor

Originally, before GS released, there was a group (including me) that definitely felt the factory should have the coal plant effect as a local bonus, and then it's powered aura could be separate. The lack of balance between the power plants bothers me, since there is virtually no reason to ever build anything but coal. And as you pointed out, if you care about co2 you can build a central nuke plant or two and use that for your power. The coal plant bonus brings a desperately needed injection of production into most civ economies, though, and I would feel like the recent production tweaks would be undone if they got rid of that effect. I think giving all power plants the coal plant effect locally and then the cleaner ones could make more power and have their auras - that wouldn't be such a bad compromise. Currently the coal plant appears to actually have an aura, it's just got 0 magnitude at 6 range (use Tesla and build a new city in range, you'll see a production effect from coal plant.) Like I should be striving

Because of how a lot of districts interact, I love having 3 tile spacing for cities. Do you think 4 tiles would require a change to minimum city distance, from a game experience perspective? Changing the maximum work radius wouldn't matter if the density of cities is the same.

Elhoim likes this.
  15. Smity2k1

Smity2k1 Warlord

- I think CO2 emissions still need to be tweaked. As mentioned earlier a single ironclad causes the ice to all melt!
    - Natural wonders need to act like their tile type (mountains for adjacency bonus, crater lake to provide fresh water, allow use of aqueducts, etc.)
    - I've also noticed some unit upgrades like +1 attack cause funky behavior. It seems you can attack twice even after moving and sometimes you can attack twice and then move or upgrade your unit afterwards.

Still working through everything, but the new tech/civic/production balance pass seems really positive.

16. Elhoim

Not only working radius, but also district placement. So even with a city distance of 4 you can create the same districts configuration and at the same time have more space.

17. TheMarshmallowBear

TheMarshmallowBear Benelovent Chieftain of the BearKingdom

Not to mention the first barbarian naval unit you encounter IS a Quidrimiere which is annoying because it can often strike FIRST before you get a chance to strike, even with the +5 Combat Boost and Prince difficulty my navies tend to lose out to Quidmieres if they get the first strike.

That's impossible, strategic resources are placed on game start so technically that's already true, you just simply don't see them until you research the required tech.

If an ything a "common generic "There's something here" resource" to mark that there is an unknown strategic reousrce tht converts to the appropriate strategic resource.

18. Elhoim

Yeah, thought of that, kinda like in At The Gates. In this case you could place improvements, but not districts.

19. acluewithout

acluewithout Deity

Ed Beach tweeted that the next patch will improve river tile flooding.

So. Sounds like they are cooking up another Patch, and it will tweak a few things. Not just fix the RND.

20. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

I believe that flood fix is in regard to world builder maps.

RohirrimElf, Icicle and acluewithout like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.