1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[GS] Winter Update?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Aussie_Lurker, Sep 10, 2019.

1. WillowBrook

WillowBrook Lurker

That's specifically the state of California - we've got 50 of those in this here union. :D

Federal holidays is what you'd be looking for, but just because something is a federal holiday doesn't necessarily mean you get off, unless you work for the federal government.

Every entity has its own rules, which it's why we still have no idea if Firaxians will be working Monday. My guess is yes, but I'd only put that at ~70% chance.

Jeppetto and Eagle Pursuit like this.
  2. acluewithout

acluewithout Deity

The direction of travel looks like we're getting something soon (maybe Feb) but that, whatever it is, it isn't a Third Expansion.

I don't mind the idea of DLC, or a season pass (which is really just DLC with extra steps), or just an update with / without some free stuff.

But I equally find it kind of hard to believe FXS wouldn't want to put out a Third Expansion at some point given how well GS has sold, the speculation / support around one, and the fact the game clearly has scope for something like that (although, perhaps the last is just my opinion).

It's possible a 3XP is still planned, but perhaps further down the road because of concerns about fatiguing the player base. So, updates / DLC / whatever might be a way to drag things out until they feel they're in the position to drop a 3XP.

Or not. Maybe DLC and updates will "fill in the gaps" incrementally. Or perhaps FXS consider the game basically complete, so not needing any significant expansion, and so are really only interested in providing filler & polish, like new civs, leaders, units, districts etc.

Sigh. I don't know. Personally, I felt like Civ had made a huge jump after GS and a few patches, and had really captured that one more turn feel. But I still quite strongly feel the game needs one more expansion to really hit its straps (particularly around the late game). As I've said, I feel like the game needs something like Brave New World for Civ 6. I think DLC after an expansion, rather than before, would make more sense.

Anyway. It'll be what it'll be.

Meluhhan likes this.
  3. RohirrimElf

RohirrimElf Emperor

I really feel like i have been kicked in the balls. Last weekend i really looked forward to a patch announcement on thuesday-thursday. going to cry in a corner for another 4 days till next tuesday. (or wage endless wars against my neighbours. Pillaging everything in sight. The latter option might be preferable)

4. Leyrann

Leyrann Deity

Uhm, can someone explain the non-Americans what MLK is? I've never heard of a holiday on the 20th of January...

5. AntSou

AntSou Prince

I assumed it stands for Martin Luther King since I can't make anything else match.

6. Deggial

Deggial Emperor

What do you know? :D

Tonight, I woke up because I was poked by a chicken bone. How did it even end up in the bed? The ritual was performed in the living room!

And I found some rune stones in the micro wave. Doesn't matter! Those stones are not reliable anyway, as the set is not complete any more.
    We have cat.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
  7. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

This is correct. Originally adopted by individual states, but made a federal holiday I believe in the Reagan administration. Many businesses that serve customers remain open, but I would think Firaxis will remain closed.

Everyone seems to assume this is season ticket, but I am not so sure. I also doubt we'll get an announcement next week, so don't get your hopes up.

Kjimmet, acluewithout and AntSou like this.
  8. cvb

cvb Prince

I don't understand the "reason" for a season pass. In fall 2016 after the high costs of developing "from scratch" the new civ6 base game they understandably wanted quick revenues and could expect comparable many preorders for a new game via DDE (18 Civs, soundtrack, 4 DLC-Packs), "civilization-vi-limited-quantity-25th-anniversary-edition" (++ Artbook & 6 coins) or base game (only immediate access to Aztecs if preordering!).
    And now? They had several revenue sources for Civ lately while comparable low costs of developing. But then I'm just an engineer. :whew:

9. Jeppetto

Jeppetto Warlord

You mean in-game I hope

10. bbbt

bbbt Emperor

It sort of depends what's in the season pass (if that's what's coming).

Most likely: Just 'content' like Civilizations and leaders (like the DDE), scenarios, and some continued patching. No new game mechanics. Basically means they've moved most of their development resources to new/upcoming games, and are getting some tail end revenue (and keeping the art department employed) in the meantime.

Possible: Content AND significant game changes/new mechanics of some sort. I.e. I could imagine something like if Gathering Storm had rolled out across the course of 4 quarterly releases and some interim patches over the course of a year. With each release being 2-3 civ/leaders and one major new game mechanic (and/or revisions/expansions of the previous mechanics). This would basically mean they are experimenting with significant changes to their income/release model, possibly to ideally move to a subscription/reoccuring revenue model.

For the latter, from a corporate perspective, more reliable income is better, and frankly getting $30 from your customer a year earlier (and the start of the 'season' rather than at the end with an expansion) is always better. It's also more likely to keep customer engagement higher. The question would be if they could get the same (or more) people to pay that way versus the big marketing 'expansion' push.

From the gamer perspective, the latter could also be a plus in that in allows for more refinement of the game mechanics before end of life from input/'playtesting' earlier. It could also mean a lot more 'new bugs/mods don't work' though we can already get that through patches as witnessed.

cvb likes this.
  11. AntSou

AntSou Prince

I just checked the dates for previous updates in this page.

Four per year, with the first one being released in February.

What I found surprising was the distance between the Spring 2018 update, released on the 10th May, and the February 2019 patch, released on the 14th of that month.

Was there really nothing in-between? (other than the cross-platform patch). That's 8 months without a patch!

12. RohirrimElf

RohirrimElf Emperor

Could very well be true. I remember like a summer patch (hotfix) with only 2 lines of code. So that is like 3 months of nothing. Minimal patch notes, and then another 3 months of nothing. It might well have been 8 months.
    I`m hoping the current news drought is over soon do.

(sorry civfanatics. I know half of my last 100 posts must be rants about firaxis and paradox being infinitely better at PR. Moderators have been kind to me)

Leyrann likes this.
  13. Kwami

Kwami Emperor

To be fair, fixing up the cross-platform stuff was probably a lot of work. Plus, they were developing Gathering Storm. I'm not surprised that we didn't have any major patches during that time period.

Besides, they made up for it later with some really great patches after GS!

14. Ondolindë

Ondolindë Emperor

Yes, it is true. Nothing.

You can also see this thread which I think has a bit more information. https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/version-history-with-version-numbers.619811/

15. blackcatatonic

blackcatatonic Queen of Meme

And of course, that content drought coincided with the final stages of development, promotion and release of GS.

I remember feeling pleasantly surprised with the frequency with which they brought out updates after GS came out. It really made me think, "they're not done with Civ VI yet".

16. cvb

cvb Prince

Without any doubt, for the corporation. As you said, would enough people be ready to pay in advance, blindly in respect to the content? (some customers are picky)
    I mean, 'pay in March 2018 and quarterly collect unknown packages of Civs&mechanics' would have given an interesting interpretation of 'Gathering Storm' ...

Why are they _SO_ silent? They always managed to push through some infos (Kupe was my favorite). They could communicate their decisions ... and also get some fresh first hand responses as well! Why wait?
    OTOH, if the timing for additional content would depend on competition situation, I would expect secrecy.

It may become a Long time, if waiting on a daily base.

17. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

What I hear in this thread:

Kimiimaro, Hawke9, AntSou and 9 others like this.
  18. Kjimmet

Kjimmet Chieftain

I think this thread should be renamed to "All Quiet at Civ Front II: Electric Boogaloo"

Meluhhan, Kimiimaro, Hawke9 and 7 others like this.
  19. The Kingmaker

The Kingmaker Alexander

This thread needs more optimism. Think of Mr. Micawber of Dickensian fame.

“Something’s bound to turn up!”

RohirrimElf likes this.
  20. Duuk

Duuk Doom-Sayer Supporter

WE'RE referring to it as "Season Ticket" because 1) "STK" and 2) the CivFanatics crowd are the odds-on favorites to buy the season-ticket bundle (which would probably be $29.99 for the bundle and include all 4-5 DLC that will be released this year).

Season Ticket 2020 will include all DLC released in 2020! This is _4_ DLC packs for the price of _3_! $29.99! That's a 25% savings!

Each regular DLC could then cost $9.99
    At the end of the year, there will have been 4 DLC packs, which if purchased ala carte would have cost $39.96. Buying the STK saves you the price of one of them.

Edit: Is it painfully obvious that sales and marketing is what my real life job is?

CPWimmer likes this.