[GS] Future Update?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want newspaper reports that tell me who is doing what and where everyone ranks. I also want my cities to interact with me more and I need more city center improvements
I just now realized how much I miss those periodic pop-ups from Pliny et al showing the top 10 lists. I know they're not in Civ 6, but I can't recall whether they were in Civ 5 or not.

I just now realized how much I miss those periodic pop-ups from Pliny et al showing the top 10 lists. I know they're not in Civ 6, but I can't recall whether they were in Civ 5 or not.

yeah, I've been playing Civ V again for the first time in awhile and I had forgotten how much I missed these (ditto for the demographics screen: it was cool seeing just exactly how many citizens were in my civ, for example).

They are in Civ V if you play Single-Player.

Glad to see some buzz. Been playing with a bunch of new mods recently but still waiting on updates from Firaxis to somehow make an AI that does literally ANYTHING with navy and air force...

But wouldn't people complain about seeing unknown civilizations in the ancient era? :p

Glad to see some buzz. Been playing with a bunch of new mods recently but still waiting on updates from Firaxis to somehow make an AI that does literally ANYTHING with navy and air force...

I dont think firaxis will ever fix this. Create 10 new civs and wrap it together with 2 wonders and call it a dlc, yes.
Fix the AI so it does something good besides being build and doing nothing, no.

I want newspaper reports that tell me who is doing what and where everyone ranks. I also want my cities to interact with me more and I need more city center improvements

You know, I'd just be happy if notifications were legible, not these little grey boxes that zip right past.

I mean, at the very least, they could color-code them. Red tint for war, blue tint for science, purple for culture, etc. The lowest hanging of fruit.

You know, I'd just be happy if notifications were legible, not these little grey boxes that zip right past.

I mean, at the very least, they could color-code them. Red tint for war, blue tint for science, purple for culture, etc. The lowest hanging of fruit.
There are some pretty good UI mods these days you may want to check out.

Was there a name for gathering storm in the depot before it was announced? I know vesuvius was internal.
Yes. They first named it "boomgoesthedynamite" and, of course, the speculation thread ("All Quiet on the Civ Front" - look it up if you need something to do) exploded. But they quickly renamed it "DepotTest". Apparently they hadn't realized that the new depot name was public and didn't take the time to come up with something else creative for the public.

Just so you know, they did in fact already make a CivRev 2. That is an actual game they released in 2014, two years prior to Civ6.
I stand corrected Civ 6 should have been called Civ Revolution 3
That said I never heard it being mentioned in the 5 or 6 forums, and I haunt CF multi times daily.

I feel like there's a possibility that these 10 achievements are for a free scenario while more achievements would be added closer to release for Runner.

Maybe. Although I feel like the survey suggests otherwise.

I really don't care if we get a 3XP or DLCs or whatever any more. I really like the game, and really just want to see two things. First, the existing "gaps" get filled in and a few mechanics polished. Second, some sort of ongoing support and investment from FXS, and that partly just because I like seeing these guys in the forums from time to time and like seeing them on livestreams.

A Third Expansion could be great, because you'd maybe end up with all the "gaps" getting tackled at once. But I could see spreading development out over multiple DLCs leading to better outcomes, because FXS had more time to iterate.

I've said it before, but it would be fun getting sort of "mini-expansions", with 2 leaders / civs, some wonders and units etc, and a new mechanic and or tweaks focused on a particular area of the game - perhaps also with a chunky scenario showcasing those new mechanics.

e.g.
  • Brave New World for Civ 6, focusing on Ideology and Espionage / Diplomacy, with some Wonders focused on World Congress and Spies, and a Cold War scenario.

• Beyond the Sword for Civ 6, focusing on expanding military units and casus belli system, with a World War scenario (or maybe reworking assets from Red Death into a Post-Apocalypse Scenario)

• Colonization for Civ 6, that adds Portugal, and expands trade mechanics and introduces corporations (please no "executive" units), with a scramble for africa type scenario

• Beyond Earth for Civ 6, that fleshes out future units and future techs, and introduces optional "high tech" disasters (like AI take over, alien invasion, pandemics), and has a scenario where you colonise a new planet (they already have the lander animation in the Red Death scenario).
Hey. A guy can dream!

I also don't mind waiting for stuff. But what I do wish we'd get is a bit more clarity about what's going on - not knowing what or when is quite tedious at some point. Less hype, more exhaustion. I don't need weekly Dev Diaries or rubbish like that. But something like "we're aiming to get out two DLC in the next year" would work for me.

Confidence about ongoing support is becoming part of what people really weigh up when investing in a game now. I think part of people's attraction to PDX games is precisely that - the confidence PDX will keep developing and patching the game, and will keep engaging with the community. The developers of my other games, BattleTech, have just said they won't keep developing it. That's okay, because the game probably has everything it needs now, and the rest can be done by the community. But it does sort of dent my enthusiasm for the game knowing that it's not really going to be properly supported going forward.

Anyway. Slow progress. At least with something on the database, we're all back in slightly more familiar territory. And I'm still quietly hopeful whatever is coming will be good - the ratio of "meh, underwhelming / this sucks / thumbs down" to "yeah, that's awesome / you guys really know what you're doing" has been pretty good over the life of this game, particularly the past year or so.

Last edited:
I would still like to see a small but significant quality of life upgrade; a change in the way warring parties are portrayed in the notifications. Just a simple [Side A vs Side B] with each participant below it (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_War_II > scroll down, on the right side, with the leaders). So you'd have (with better formatting because it didn't stick:
[Norwegian symbol] Harald Hardrada | [Australian symbol] John Curtin
[Egyptian symbol] Cleopatra | [CS symbol] Yerevan
[CS symbol] Palenque
[CS symbol] Antananarivo
[CS symbol] Auckland
[CS symbol] Zanzibar

Of course this is modable, but I don't know how and I don't have the time (want to spend the time I have) to learn it and keep it up to date.

Yes. They first named it "boomgoesthedynamite

I remember that. I'm happy that I correctly called railroads in that expansion. I equated dynamite with railroads. Of course it can also be used for tunnels and canals.

I stand corrected Civ 6 should have been called Civ Revolution 3

And why is that? Do you feel the game is not complex? Because it is the most complex Civ game in the series. It's right where I like it actually. I'm not getting the bias against this title.

And why is that? Do you feel the game is not complex? Because it is the most complex Civ game in the series. It's right where I like it actually. I'm not getting the bias against this title.[/QUOTE]

Civ 6 sure has a lot of content. Having not enough content is not what keeps civ fans from playing. Problem is most of its systems are half done. AI can`t handle air/naval combat. The loyalty and grievance system still need a lot of work.
The AI is way to passive past the first 3 era`s. The AI does not repair or build its resource tiles for hundreds of turns. The game still lacks balance on a lot of leaders. I am not talking about making all leaders equal. This can`t be done.
The list is long.
Do i mind having 10 new leaders and x wonders/national wonders or fixing unit gaps inbetween era`s. No, i would still buy the dlc. But i`ll rather see much more work done on improving current systems instead of adding even more content.

And why is that? Do you feel the game is not complex? Because it is the most complex Civ game in the series. It's right where I like it actually. I'm not getting the bias against this title.

Civ 6 sure has a lot of content. Having not enough content is not what keeps civ fans from playing. Problem is most of its systems are half done. AI can`t handle air/naval combat. The loyalty and grievance system still need a lot of work.
The AI is way to passive past the first 3 era`s. The AI does not repair or build its resource tiles for hundreds of turns. The game still lacks balance on a lot of leaders. I am not talking about making all leaders equal. This can`t be done.
The list is long.
Do i mind having 10 new leaders and x wonders/national wonders or fixing unit gaps inbetween era`s. No, i would still buy the dlc. But i`ll rather see much more work done on improving current systems instead of adding even more content.[/QUOTE]

If anything, I've had the feeling that there's TOO many gameplay mechanisms shoe-horned into Civ 6 and none of them feel complete or like they were meant to really synergize together. And after all the years of patches and expansions, it doesn't really feel like that's been rectified.

"Having not enough content is not what keeps civ fans from playing"
Some fans.
Some fans need just a new content is what keeps people engaged. I don't necessarily mean a new Big game mechanic.
Last year patches were great to keep people engaged for example (revamp of Industrial Zone adjacency bonuses) It was not a revolution, but it changed a game and keep it fresh.
And some fans just want better AI.
There is no one universal golden rule for all :)

It is and isn't the most complex. It's definitely the most complex in terms of different game mechanics (which is part of the reason the AI has trouble).

However it isn't terribly complex in terms of overall strategy even disregarding the AI. There's minimal empire management challenge and it's basically expansion over all else.

I've said before they have all the pieces (loyalty, amenities, revolt, etc) but don't seem to want to pull the trigger. I suspect because they don't want to be too much of a frustration to the lower level players who just want a fun builder. I really wish they would take another look at how they do difficulty levelling as that could assuage a lot of issues.

One of the reasons I'm looking forward to Soren Johnson's Ten Crowns is his comment about playing and balancing the game as a challenge first WITHOUT any opponents (AI or otherwise).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom