[GS] Future Update?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Something I want is tile wide great rivers that allow units to sail inside the continent,

Parking a missile cruiser in the middle of the continent and destroying anything that comes in its 79-tile range sounds pretty sweet ngl.

Something I want is tile wide great rivers that allow units to sail inside the continent, like the united states. Naval powers would not be as debuffed on pangaea maps
I don't know about sailing aircraft carriers down the mississippi river, but one thing I do think was a step back in civ games over the years was when the rivers lost their movement speed bonus. I know that's because they put them to the edge of the ma;, but rivers should allow for faster movement as well as connect cities for trade route purposes, as soon as some minimal tech requirement is met.

Something I want is tile wide great rivers that allow units to sail inside the continent, like the united states. Naval powers would not be as debuffed on pangaea maps
I think this is a great idea, and would love to see it implemented in normal map generation. This was actually part of the motivation behind my making the Pacific Northwest map, where I made the Columbia a river such as this. The Columbia is such an important part of the region that it can’t be relegated to a simple river. I’ve found that it provides interesting effects gameplay-wise, like being a true barrier to exploration and movement until you get shipbuilding.

Interestingly, in my games with named features, the game recognizes it as a river. Could this perhaps be a clue that they might include 1-tile rivers in the future?

I wonder, is there any reason for playing pangaea maps except not wanting naval combat?

The Pangaea map script got a lot of love for the release of Gathering Storm. In my experience, it tends to generate better terrain than the other map scripts. Continents are about the same size with mountains or other features separating them, each player has enough room to expand, and so on. It's not perfect, but on average, it does better than the others.

I wonder, is there any reason for playing pangaea maps except not wanting naval combat?
Easier to reach all civs' territories (for domination or religious victories), and you don't get those annoying map generation things where some civs are all crammed inside a small continent and another civ has a ton of land to themselves. I think pangaea is just the most balanced map type.

I love the idea of tile-wide rivers. It'd even just LOOK cool on a map. Maybe they could do some sort of graphic change at the end of the river where it meets the ocean, to differentiate between the freshwater and saltwater environments for housing purposes.

The Nubia scenario has a navigable Nile river. Pretty fun. They even added the cataracts!
I haven't played the scenario but now I do remember seeing it in a stream when it first came out! It looks awesome. The fact that they included it in the scenario makes me believe it's not at all unlikely that they'd include it in regular maps. Now, the cataracts do look pretty, but if those sorts of shallow, rocky parts were included in these wide rivers, then it'd be reasonable to expect that they should be a barrier to the travel of naval units trying to get upstream, which would kind of interfere with the navigable aspect, the main reason why we want the wide rivers in the first place. Maybe they could be added as well, but only far upstream, so that they don't make the river impassable for naval units (but they should, because frankly, it'd look silly if a battleship just coasted across the jagged rocks to get further up the river).

That'd be cool, but I'd also like some ships to be able to move some ships between cities connected by rivers, rather like how tunnels allow movement across tiles within a mountain range. Then again, most rivers have shallow stretches that would not be suitable naval vessels. Maybe just the melee class of ships.

Yeah, it isn't realistic for most rivers to be fully navigable by ocean going vessels--especially if it's a warship which would typically be a sitting duck. They're good for exploration and transportation and moving lots of goods.

I think that was @Wielki Hegemon 's point. We know this set of data, but we don't know much/anything about modding statistics.
That's the point. We don't know how much exactly is for example 3%.
Owners are estimated here https://steamdb.info/app/289070/graphs/ on 2-5 million. So 3% could be 60k or 150k
It makes Gedemon's estimate number of mod users - >300k from 6% to 15%
But it's more shamanism than estimation. Too much unknown.

YnAMP is almost at 300,000 (current) subscriptions on Steam, I've no idea how much that means in % of players.
I can only tell you I play those maps as much as I can (and try to win before Firaxis' lack of support for the larger ones causes continually crashing)

I had an idea from the buff suggestion thread, from a comment someone made about Georgia’s walls giving district buffs if placed adjacent to the city. What if walls extended around districts and prevented them from being sieged provided the district was next to the city and the city was still being fortified? At least cities would look a bit more aesthetically pleasing

I still want them to make it so that if you revive a Civ they catch up in tech level to make it more worthwhile to revive conquered civs. I mean, I get that liberating cities gets you Favor, which is great, but if you revive a civ that died in the medieval era they revive right back at that tech level (which is completely unrealistic that they would just revert to medieval technology after having been integrated with a more technologically advanced civ for several eras). It makes reviving them totally useless from a political standpoint as they are just easy fodder for advanced powers without your intervention.

(I also think they should get some bonus nationalist loyalty for say 20 turns after liberation to let them have time to try and re-organized as cities are liberated, and also of course let them organically be revolters from civs in dark ages, but I'm not sure they will add that capability in and will probably stick with the amorphous "Free Cities" being free until conquered). Idk, man. Nationalism is a strong feeling.

So no announcement this week either despite my proffesional estimation. That's so sad Alexa play Georgia's Industrial Theme.

I hoped at least for something interesting to talk about in database but even that doesn't have anything new.

I do however have official date of the new job and it falls onto Tuesday. Coincidence? You bet but I am desperate, so that's my next milestone.

So no announcement this week either despite my proffesional estimation. That's so sad Alexa play Georgia's Industrial Theme.

I hoped at least for something interesting to talk about in database but even that doesn't have anything new.

I do however have official date of the new job and it falls onto Tuesday. Coincidence? You bet but I am desperate, so that's my next milestone.
Deafening silence from the civ team. Its torture.

I still want them to make it so that if you revive a Civ they catch up in tech level to make it more worthwhile to revive conquered civs. I mean, I get that liberating cities gets you Favor, which is great, but if you revive a civ that died in the medieval era they revive right back at that tech level (which is completely unrealistic that they would just revert to medieval technology after having been integrated with a more technologically advanced civ for several eras). It makes reviving them totally useless from a political standpoint as they are just easy fodder for advanced powers without your intervention.
Well, to be realistic, just don't allow liberation for a civ that was conquered after a couple of eras. That civ who lost its last city in the middle ages is probly assimilated by now.

Last edited:
That'd be cool, but I'd also like some ships to be able to move some ships between cities connected by rivers, rather like how tunnels allow movement across tiles within a mountain range. Then again, most rivers have shallow stretches that would not be suitable naval vessels. Maybe just the melee class of ships.

I do think it's about time to have navigable rivers in a Civ game. Maybe Civ7. But I would say only a specific class of ships should be allowed. Meaning a new class of ships that aren't melee or ranged. I certainly don't believe caravels or frigates belong on rivers. I'm not sure what you would call this class of ships. River patrol? Shallow draft boats? I'm not sure. You'd want at least a few for every other era similar to current ship classes.

I do think it's about time to have navigable rivers in a Civ game. Maybe Civ7. But I would say only a specific class of ships should be allowed. Meaning a new class of ships that aren't melee or ranged. I certainly don't believe caravels or frigates belong on rivers. I'm not sure what you would call this class of ships. River patrol? Shallow draft boats? I'm not sure. You'd want at least a few for every other era similar to current ship classes.
Generally, in Civ river patrols would tend to be reflected by land units with the amphibious promotion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom