[GS] Future Update?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure if the last sentence was meant to be rude, but I’ll assume not. But yes, I agree with a lot of that. We’ve had really great support this year - credit where credit is due. There are many reasons a 3XP could be delayed versus previous expansions or has been rethought, and that they’re still bedding down GS is one of those possibilities.
Wait, what did I say that could be interpreted as rude? :confused:

@ParadigmZwei No worries.

Just one final thought. It could be a 3XP is getting pushed out for marketing reasons.

The game is now only basically every platform, and it’s likely the next expansion really will be the last (although there may be further support after that - hard to say). So, FXS may want to really maximise the impact and so delay an expansion until everything is lined up from a sales and marketing POV - eg maximum uptake on consoles - and they’re able to really go all out on the press etc.

Banging out news this side of Christmas and so close to console releases may just not be the best time to put out 3XP news, especially when it’s hotly anticipated, so perhaps next year works better. In the meantime, they may see the game as being in pretty good shape, so no urgency to expand it further right now.

And more time means more polish and better able to get simultaneous release on all platforms.

If we get news today, and everything I’ve said is way off, then I’ll look a bit stupid but would be pretty happy. But, yeah, I can see plenty of reasons we could be waiting until next year for news.

Oh well.

And more time means more polish and better able to get simultaneous release on all platforms.
Honestly this is another thing I'm thinking - now that the game is out on everything, and consoles have parity (sans Red Death) with PC, Firaxis and Aspyr may be working together to ensure that a third expansion can be released on all platforms simultaneously, and that would naturally push the release date back. If they can manage that though then the sales for said expansion would be enormous.

Banging out news this side of Christmas and so close to console releases may just not be the best time to put out 3XP news, especially when it’s hotly anticipated, so perhaps next year works better. In the meantime, they may see the game as being in pretty good shape, so no urgency to expand it further right now.
My thoughts, too - from a marketing perspective, if console sales are going well, you don't want to interrupt the hype with a different marketing campaign. If they're not, you might want to put even more attention on these new platforms to try to get good Christmas sales. You don't want to confuse casual console gamers with "Buy Civ VI now" and "Civ VI something something coming in February (but maybe not on consoles yet)" messages.

Just one final thought. It could be a 3XP is getting pushed out for marketing reasons.

The game is now only basically every platform, and it’s likely the next expansion really will be the last (although there may be further support after that - hard to say). So, FXS may want to really maximise the impact and so delay an expansion until everything is lined up from a sales and marketing POV - eg maximum uptake on consoles - and they’re able to really go all out on the press etc.

If we get news today, and everything I’ve said is way off, then I’ll look a bit stupid but would be pretty happy. But, yeah, I can see plenty of reasons we could be waiting until next year for news.

Oh well.

This (and your previous post) is my guess. Now that it's out on consoles, they want to have a clear marketing message for the new buyers. (It's already a bit confusing, seeing as Civ 6 and the "expansion bundle" are for sale.)

Also, I'm guessing if it's the last one, it'll be potentially even bigger and therefore they'll take a bit more time before they release it. Could be they announce in January for an April release?

In any case, I'm pretty sure one is coming though I wouldn't mind an AssemblingTyphoon style leak...

Whatever the rationale, if we don't see a teaser by Thursday, I'm giving up on the possibilities of the marketing for an expansion or DLC until 2020.

A patch is still a viable contender though, in my opinion.

Especially with the pantheon exploit making the rounds, that might speed up their push for a patch sooner rather than later. But otherwise, given the timeline, it's basically now or never (well, this week or 2020) for any expansion announcement.

Maybe it's just cause I work in marketing, but it seems very weird to me that they haven't posted on their social channels for 4-5 days now. There's not even filler content like "What leader did you play around Thanksgiving on consoles hurrdurr". And overall, there's gotta be something around the corner, even if it's not a third expansion or DLC. Leaving your social channels bone-dry of content around Christmas is not something I'd imagine any social media manager worth his salt would do.

Just a note about trade in Civ VI - there seems to be a misconception that trade is just sending out your traders, which is actually only half of it. Selling resources to other countries is also trade. Having a monopoly on iron, for instance, is very useful. One can decide to deny strategic resources to certain countries to ****** their development, while selling them cheaply to allies that you want to encourage.

I would like to offer a new interpretation about that Firaxis tweet.

In the next expansion there will be a new mechanic: wonders can take damage.

The tweet was not about the inclusion or not of notre dame in the expansion. It's already in the expansion. It was about whether to include the fire of Notre Dame in the trailer. Instead, it will feature the destruction of Alexandria and others ;)

Edit: Therefore we might also get Earthquakes, Fires and Tsunamis as an extension of GS mechanics. Fires might be set-able by great generals or maybe military engineers and you can steal treasures from opponent's great wonders with Great Generals, including tech boosts and works of art. That was a dumb suggestion. It will evidently be done by archaeologists.

This would fit into a colonial / anti-colonial theme, so that great works will have a culture attached to it and you'll get bonuses to culture and tourism from owning works from different cultures, which might be acquired peacefully or taken through war, with some kind of balancing feature to make it double-edged. Increased tension with the original Civ's culture at least, especially after the modern era.

If we get a multi-cultural/isolationist mechanic along with cultures and nationalism, I expect Italy and Colombia to be in the game. We'll also get Leaders with bonuses to multiculturalism while others might benefit from isolationism. Which would make Bismarck a very likely alt leader for Germany.

If colonialism is a thing, disease will also be a thing. Perhaps along trade routes, or across different continents.

And if colonialism is a thing, trade might get some changes. Or perhaps just the ones mentioned above.

It would also hint at migrations caused by both natural disasters and war.
---

So, on a scale of 1 to 10, how crazy speculative is that :p

I need to justify my expected Civs choices.

Last edited:
FURTHERMORE,

The trailer will include a Roman soldier accidentally setting fire to part of Alexandria's Library... followed by a French soldier accidentally uncovering the Rosetta Stone.

Oh, yes Firaxis, well done! Such a great transition!

This, of course, also suggests Wonders will have unique Artifacts which can be obtained by Archaeologists while at war... English archaeologists will be able to pillage these works while at peace however. And you thought missionaries were annoying! Wait until an army of those comes knocking.

However, you can only obtain the unique artefact from damaged Wonders, and wonders will take some beating until they become permanently damaged. What would you expect? It's not like you can just walk into the Notre Dame and steal a Gargoyle! Damaged wonders will have added tourism starting in the industrial/modern era, however, and you can use your own archaeologists to give yourself boosts, depending on the original wonder type.

Yes.

The trailer will include a Roman soldier accidentally setting fire to part of Alexandria's Library... followed by a French soldier accidentally uncovering the Rosetta Stone.

You could also include a Spanish soldier chipping away gold from an ornate Mayan statue with his knife or something. Good way to include the Maya (very likely to be included in the future) in the cinematic.

I'll stop now.

Hey, don't stop now. I can appreciate a good tin foil piece. Which reminds me of my fever-induced tin foil theory.

A few months ago I was sick and had a fever. So I was watching some stuff on YouTube and two historical channels posted videos about the Bulgar-Byzantine wars in the same day. Usually those wars don't get a lot of coverage so I was very surprised. "It must mean something" said I with a 38 degree fever. So I go to sleep and had a fevered dream of a DLC called "Barbarity of War" featuring Basil the Bulgar-slayer and Khan Krum of Bulgaria (the dude who made a drinking cup out of Nikephoros I's skull). I woke up horribly confused.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom