[GS] Future Update?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Incidentally, my post got moved in here by a moderator, but it has nothing to do with any Winter update. It was about a hotfix that Firaxis could apply tomorrow if they were so minded, and would take five minutes of their time. In other words, a change very easily applied, maybe by just commenting out one line of code, and needing no testing. Getting rid of AI demands is such a change. Changing the Terra script is not - it would requires testing.

Want to know one type of Great Person I wish they would do? Philosophers. I'm not sure what impact they would have on the game, but I think it would be cool to have people like Nietzsche, Aristotle, Sartre, you name it.
It would be interesting if Great Philosophers focused on culture/civics and gain GPPs through the Government Plaza thinking more from a ethics/political philosophy viewpoint since some philosophers are already Great Prophets and science is taken by Great Scientists.
Though the more I think about it would it be a good thing to recruit Great Philosophers on account of your Government Plaza. :undecide:

Khmer are trash, they need to be completely rebalanced and receive some new bonuses. They basically need to be completely redesigned, every single of their features is among the worst. Why is nobody asking for this?
Any civ can be used well, it is a question of why you are saying they are trash. I personally find them awesome to play with and their domreys got better with the update. As to how historical they are, I am no Khmer expert.

Will they finally fix naval combat in the winter update? If not, will they release the source code so that someone can fix it?

I’d be stunned if we got another update this year.

I think after this patch, most things are pretty good.

The only things I’d be still looking for are:
  • Unit balance. Anti-Cav generally need another look. Tanks v Infantry need a look (both need oil, but tanks are clearly better). Resources for Naval units could be halved, so you don’t have quite as though a choice between Naval and land units.
  • Walls. Tier 2 and 3 Walls are still a bit useless. They could really use a perk beyond just defence, eg +1 Housing. Sewers could also use some love given there’s such easier ways to get housing now - eg maybe Sewers increases a City’s District Capacity by 1.
  • Government Tier 3 Exclusive Policy Cards should also be useable by equivalent Tier 4 Governments (eg Democracy only Policy Cards should be useable with Distributed Democracy). Losing access to certain Tier 3 Government Policy cards is a big disincentive to using Tier 4 Governments.
  • Tweak Lumbermills to bring back a version of the adjacency for Rivers - LMs are just so boring without that. eg maybe +1 if adjacent to a river after Mass Production.
  • Let Military Engineers build roads without spending charges. And give Railways more of a benefit.
  • Fleets, Armadas, Aircraft Carriers. AA should scale up for units in Fleets or Armadas, as should aircraft slots in Aircraft Carriers. Aircraft Carriers also need to earn experience from adjacent units so they can actually level up.
  • Colonial Cities still need a bit of a buff - eg maybe a Diplomatic Policy card that gives you additional Diplomatic Favour for each Colonial City.
  • An extra Dedication per era (ie 5 instead of 4) would be nice, because the current four are a bit tedious.
  • Religious Beliefs could use a rebalancing. Ideally, I’d love to see a few more unique Religious units tied to Beliefs (maybe even move the Guru to a Belief only unit), although maybe that’s a bit much for a Patch.
  • I’d like to see Future Techs buff late game units beyond just the GDR. And I’d like Cities to have a power requirement after certain techs are unlocked, and for a lack of power to cause happiness problems.
I agree with basically all of this except I think Walls are fine as they are now (previously they were not a huge deal, but now I think they have been appropriately buffed), and I feel like while I like the colonial city policy idea, it can be incredibly abusable since diplo favor is already supposed to be scarce. Lets say you manage 20 colonial cities on a Terra map = 20 diplo favor which is quite a bit - sure the investment is required, but the benefits outweigh that investment cost IMO. That also can benefit warmongers, so maybe for colonial cities you found you get the diplo points? Might be a good compromise.

Otherwise I really like your ideas.

EDIT: Sewers should give an amenity. Clean water and modern toiletry really should be worth an amenity.

They just announced Civ 6 for PS4 and XBOne along with the expansions for them plus Switch on November 22nd.

So if they do have another expansion in the works, it would probably not be announced officially until after that.
It would be very odd for them to release the base game + both expansions on console and then immediately afterwards say 'oh yeah, there's another expansion coming to PC'... right?

ETA: unless of course they think they can release Expansion 3 at the same time on all platforms?

It would be very odd for them to release the base game + both expansions on console and then immediately afterwards say 'oh yeah, there's another expansion coming to PC'... right?
Not necessarily - get them to buy what's out, then get them to pay more for the next expansion. While some people wait to buy games until everything is out, others get excited by a game still being in development - still seems fresh, not old and abandoned.

Sewers should give an amenity. Clean water and modern toiletry really should be worth an amenity.
Housing vs amenities is an area I personally think is a little wrong
To me jobs bring housing while things like sewers bring happiness.
Way too late to change such a key premise and it ain’t been that way in the past either, just my own little mad fantasy.

Way too late to change such a key premise and it ain’t been that way in the past either, just my own little mad fantasy.
Fair points. Really, the Sewer should be so much more valuable than it is. Working Sewage systems were a BIG deal and in game right now it's "meh...2 housing". When I can already get so much housing from other sources, and additionally they buffed neighborhood buildings, they really do need to look at the Sewer again since almost everything else outclasses its value. As of now, i only build sewers a) when tiles are limited, b) when i have a ridiculously large city that absolutely needs it (very rare) or c) when I just have nothing else to build. Not sure many people would feel +2 housing alone is worth the 200 production and 2 gold maintenance the Sewer costs.

No I'm pretty sure that's exactly what they did last year - released it on the switch the week before Thanksgiving and announced Gathering Storm like right after.

How about a sewer brings both housing and an amenity?

No I'm pretty sure that's exactly what they did last year - released it on the switch the week before Thanksgiving and announced Gathering Storm like right after.
Well the 22nd of Nov is the Friday before Thanksgiving.:mischief:

Pretty sure they announced Gathering Storm back in October of 2018. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong though.

Pretty sure it was late November, as the announce trailer(see below) for it came out right after the tornado stream thing and its dated November 20th.

Fair enough. I thought my memory might have been a bit janky ;).

Hmm. Okay. That's relatively encouraging, then...

Making RR more worthwhile would be nice. I build them, but they aren't as good as they were in Civ 5.

Move urban defenses back another 1/2-1 era. Where it is currently(and at release), it makes the tier 3 walls not worth building. UD is just right around the corner. By moving it back, you make tier 3 walls look more appealing when dealing with Infantry or tanks.

and i would like to see colonizing other continents(across large bodies of water) be more viable.

I wouldnt mind the resource requirements for troops removed, and instead make strategic resources buff units or other parts of your empire. I feel like late game strategic resources just aren't common enough to make even a decent size army. It is made worse by the upkeep that earlier parts of the game dont have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom