[WIP] 80x250 Eurasia Map

Jabarto

Emperor
This map was inpired by a very similar one for Civ3 (I'll link to it later if I can find it). It covers most of Eurasia and the eastern coast of North America. I made it using Mapview 2.0's Pic2Map plugin, so i kinda cheated a bit. But who's counting?

As noted in the title, this is a work in progress. I was getting a little tired of working on it, so I rushed it into a playable state so I could get some feedback on it sooner rather than later. I'm most interested in proper resource placement and rivers, but any comments are welcome.

Screenshot:

I advise that you fix up the islands a bit. In particular, Atlantic islands such as Canaries, Cape Verde, The Caribean indies, Bermuda, Maldives and the Philippines. Oh and make Egypt more hospitable. Than the map would be perfect.

I thought Egypt was very hospitable, what with the floodplains and all. What would you suggest to make it more so?

And yeah, the islands are a pain in the neck to deal with, but I'll see what I can do.

Finally, is there anything else I can do? I'm kinda worried that the Gobi desert and surrounding ares aren't up to par.

Somalia and Ethiopia needs a touch up. They are not desert.

Gobi desert I'm not sure. Pakistan was supposed to be the great fertile grassland that gave birth to India's first civilization, not a desert. :p But I don't know much about the area to really comment to be honest.

Also, I live at 2000+ M above sea level in Merida, Venezuela. On the map, it is portrayed as a Grassland or hill of some sort. (can't tell from the picture.)

I'll be very interested in following this map as you tweak it, because it seems like an excellent starting point.

keep working on this map! i would love see this one fully fleshed out. i love atlantic earth maps. this one just extends the luv. somalia and ethiopia r way more important then the islands. i wouldnt care if u just left the islands how they are. keep up the good work =)

Thanks all. :) I was taking a nice long break from Civ 4, but now I think I'm ready to finish up this map and my giant Earth map. I already uploaded a new version in the OP; not much has changed, except that there are more islands in the Caribbean, more rivers in norther Asia, and Ethiopia and Somalia have been touched up a bit. Oh, and I somehow forgot to give Korea its rice the first time around. That's been fixed too.

This map is great looking, and I would love to change it up for my personal use. However, I cannot get past the weird horizontal line effect in the China area. Does anyone know why this is, and how I could alleviate it?

This map is great looking, and I would love to change it up for my personal use. However, I cannot get past the weird horizontal line effect in the China area. Does anyone know why this is, and how I could alleviate it?

I don't know, but I really wish I did. It happens a lot in giant maps and I hate it.

Awesome map man! I would love to use this in my mod for a scenario. I'm thinking a silk road scenario or something like that. Just a general one where you can choose to play as lots of different civs.

Awesome map man! I would love to use this in my mod for a scenario. I'm thinking a silk road scenario or something like that. Just a general one where you can choose to play as lots of different civs.

Thanks. You (and anyone for that matter) are more than wlecome to do what you like with it.

Considering this is my favorite map that I've made, I might do some more touching up on it.

Too many resources in some parts, too few in others. Some terrains are too monotonous. (North of the Himalayas, there is a massive desert followed by a massive ring of plains and then a massive ring of hilly, forested grasslands.

Too many resource clumps: 5 iron in Iberia? 5 wine in France? 10000000 oil in the Middle East? Really?

With the desert north of the Himalayas, I would suggest making a few rivers run through it. And remove clumps of resources. It's hard to play that map without wasting dozens of tiles just trying to avoid settling on resources.

Too many resources in some parts, too few in others. Some terrains are too monotonous. (North of the Himalayas, there is a massive desert followed by a massive ring of plains and then a massive ring of hilly, forested grasslands.

Yeah, I suppose you have a point. I'll take a look at those areas and see about sprucing them up.

Too many resource clumps: 5 iron in Iberia? 5 wine in France? 10000000 oil in the Middle East? Really?

...yes? Northern Spain is incredibly rich in iron. France is famous for its vineyards. Most of the world's oil comes from the Middle East. And more importantly, resources aren't found everywhere. Some concessions can be made in the name of gameplay but the fact remains that some places are richer in certain resources than others.

With the desert north of the Himalayas, I would suggest making a few rivers run through it. And remove clumps of resources. It's hard to play that map without wasting dozens of tiles just trying to avoid settling on resources.

Thanks for your suggestions. The truth is, I don't think I paid enough attention to the climate map when making this. I'll be sure to review it.

Top Bottom