WIP - Fantasy Civilization (New Fantasy themed mod)

EwokBaconBits

Chieftain
Current State:

Scroll to bottom if you just like images

This is a total conversion mod (a work in progress) its currently in an alpha state. Most of the features are working as intended as far as I know. I have not added alot of UI and photoshop stuff that I want to add so many things like the icons and texts will be using vanila ones. There is no specific victory created yet besides the vanila ones. Trust me this will probably be very unbalanced so experiment and let me know your opinions.

About:

The simple goal here is Civilization is essentially a replayable sandbox game, the aim of this mod is to take that a step further. For this reason its set in a fantasy world (which gives much more possibilities), where you will be creating your own Civilization. This also means civilizations you meet will at least be little bit different each game, some more dangerous then others.

This mod isn't based on any pre-existing lore but its inspired from LOTR, elder scrolls, warhammer and of course FFH. This is also not meant to compete with the other awesome mods in this communtiy which I also took inspiration from this is something completely different on its own.

Now for the good stuff. This may get complicated :)

Features and Concepts:

- Includes 8 base races (Men, Dwarves, Elves, Undead, Draconians, Lizardmen, Orcs and Goblins). Also some races are split into sub-races, such as urisks, half elves and skeletons. Each race plays completely different from the other each with its own unique units, buildings and bonuses. Each race is divided further more into biomes determining some unique units as well as bonuses and spawn location.

- Once in game you will be further developing your civilization. You will select a racial skill, blessing and alignment. These will allow different bonuses including start tech, start resources, unique units, unique buildings and other things.

- Dynamic Naming, civilization names will be given depending on your leader name, city name, location and number of cities. Leader names are assigned randomly at the start which you can change to your desire.

- Tons of new units and buildings as you can imagine

- There are 15~ total heroes right now. Each civ gains access to one of these heroes. Heroes earn XP each turn. Each hero has a unique passive ability. This includes such things as decreasing movement of nearby enemies.

- There are also some magical units with special passive abilities. Clerics for instances will randomly massively heal nearby friendly units.

- Most units can be equipped with different weapons. Like staffs, pikes, swords and bows. Each specific weapon defines the unit and gives it a powerful bonus.

- You can now upgrade most units to such things as iron and steel gear (with the appropriate strategics) . This will increase their strength as well as give them a new look.

- There are now different types of resources called locations. In these locations you choose what to plant there. Each resources gives unique yields such as food, production and gold. This includes node locations, farm locations, pasture locations and plantation locations. Each location has at least 6 choices. There are graphics for all but a few resources.

- You do not yield resources from unimproved plots but improved plots now give extra resources making them very important. Not all resources are equal either, some resources like Gold are extremely valuable.

- Culture is purely for social policies it will not expand your borders. Borders will only take workable resources within a 3 tile radius. This is to both give a more realistic medieval feel as well as encourage expansion by settling. Cities will now not only be for growing but fortified resource securing.

- In addition to vanila civ abilities, great people will be able to create different kinds of improvements. These improvements can be placed adjacent to your territory securing that plot as well as giving a large yield of resources.

- You can now gain runes. Runes come from nodes or other bonuses. Runes can then be morphed into bonuses. Stacking lots of runes can give your civilization huge bonuses as well as make up for weaknesses.

- There are 11 unique city states. (If allied) Each city state gives a bonus (these bonuses are implemented but don't have text yet). Most of these bonuses are permenent items given to you at a chance each turn including resources, free techs and happiness. Each city state also gives a mercenary unit which only you can purchase or produce as long as you are allied.

- Faith has now become Mana. You can now via the religion screen craft your own magic type. This means you can add powerful spells. You can purchase these spells with Mana unlimited times. Spells can include such simple things as a free social policy or free gold. Or it can give your units a 1 turn powerful combat bonus.

- The tech tree is replaced. It is a much simpler system and encourages your civilization to focus on certain skill paths. (There is no text for what each tech gives for now and some techs will give you nothing so try to use common sense for your civ). Tech is also not as hugely important as it is in vanila civ.

- The social policy tree is also replaced. Each policy branch is not a tree like structure you can choose any policy without choosing others. This is to encourage different strategies as well as encourage gaining policies in each branch type.

- Completely new promotion trees with powerful bonuses. This makes experienced units and heroes very valuable.

- Depending on your biome you have access to a unique early promotion tree increasing strength in your biome as well as giving such bonuses as withdrawl.

- You can have as many units on a tile as you like, the UI also for the most part works with this

- Last but not least Barbarians are spawned from 3 types of bases. Dens, camps and foundries. Each type of camp will produce different types of barbarians. Some of them are very powerful like necromancers and griffons. Dens also will spawn different units depending on its terrain.

My Preferences:

Though this can be played on any randomized map, I personally prefer the fantasy map by resourcerer http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=524532 . I included this map in this mod because I did make some changes to the script. But do know resourcerer deserves full credit. I usually set to default options, realm and half-land.

Feedback and Conclusion:

I will put more information here later but this I imagine will be complex, so many things you may have to figure out on your own. Leave feedback and questions! Any suggestions or additions is welcome. I would also love it if people wanted to help out if you like what you see.

Download:

(Currently in moderation que I'm not sure how long this takes I put alternate google drive links in case)

Requires Brave New World and Gods and Kings. Need to activate both files for the mod to work.

Main File: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4i9_mxIYkcOY3llUk4tWkpIMG8

Data Assets: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4i9_mxIYkcOVlBpdU52NFUxTjg

Compatability:

This mod is meant to try and be compatible with other mods, though with many mods of course this will be unrealistic. I have purposly left out a DLL so that we can use other DLL of our choice. So feel free to test and let me know which and what mods work or don't work. I'll perhaps make a list down below.

IGE is compatiable.

Credits:

Resourcerer - Fantasy Map Script

TBA

Have fun hopefully!

Crashes:
FIXED that I know of let me know if you have any!

Screenshots: (from one playthough i did)
Spoiler :

I would not mind testing this mod out. Saying it takes inspiration from warhammer and FFH grabs my attention. Also im a big fan of fantasy. I'm still surprise to this day that we have yet to see a standalone FFH game. One came dream though...:(

Anyway, Ill make a request using the google drive link seeing that I can't download it with the first links.

I would not mind testing this mod out. Saying it takes inspiration from warhammer and FFH grabs my attention. Also im a big fan of fantasy. I'm still surprise to this day that we have yet to see a standalone FFH game. One came dream though...:(

Anyway, Ill make a request using the google drive link seeing that I can't download it with the first links.

Hey sorry I meant to set it to public download :lol: I re-made the links you should be able to direct download without need for access.

Also if (you'll have to test) but let me know if you do want more FFH elements or if you have ideas regarding that.

I just going to let you know I also just got a crash when I ended my first turn. So it not just on your end. though the first game I did just for a test did not crash.

Also is each city limited to only 4 buildings per city?

I also found a bug that seems to make it so I am unable to take cities. My units attack the cities and move on to them, but they are still in the enemies control. I'm only guess is it might be happening because I used the cloak spell before I declared war. But even after I did that, I still can't take the cities even when I don't use the spell.

I just going to let you know I also just got a crash when I ended my first turn. So it not just on your end. though the first game I did just for a test did not crash.

Also is each city limited to only 4 buildings per city?

I also found a bug that seems to make it so I am unable to take cities. My units attack the cities and move on to them, but they are still in the enemies control. I'm only guess is it might be happening because I used the cloak spell before I declared war. But even after I did that, I still can't take the cities even when I don't use the spell.

Yes I forgot to state that cities are limited to 5 buildings per city (including the palace) but this count doesn't include spells and morphs as well as specificed buildings. I made buildings more powerful and maintenance free so the idea is you will specialize certain cities and such. You can extend the building limit in all cities by fully completing the labor policy tree or researching engineering V and VII or if you have the engineering skill.

As to that bug, I'm not aware of that. What civ and units are you capturing the cities with? I want to say I've encountered this when taking city states but I thought it was fixed. You could try posting your save also so I can take a more direct look at it. And the Cloak spell shouldn't have anything to do with that.

I tried attacking the AI cities with everything I got. Nothing would work. Here is the save. I had to make it a rar file because the save was apparently too big for the forums.

Attachments

• Can't take cities.rar
    1.5 MB · Views: 43
I tried attacking the AI cities with everything I got. Nothing would work. Here is the save. I had to make it a rar file because the save was apparently too big for the forums.

It worked for me I was able to take the cities which is wierd. Are you using any other mods?

And I know I updated the mod since then specifically the hobgoblins (the cities your trying to take) weren't getting access to proper buildings so this may be the reason. I may post this update later tonight but it may break the save. If you wanted to further test you could try taking a different civ's cities to see if it works.

Im not using any other mods for that game. I would have tested to see if I could take another AI city, but it seems whenever i load that gave it crashes when I hit end turn.

Im not using any other mods for that game. I would have tested to see if I could take another AI city, but it seems whenever i load that gave it crashes when I hit end turn.

I havn't figured out the city thing yet as it is now doing it for me. Placing a unit via the lua console will however capture the city.

I however did figure out the crash issues for both the save first turn as well as the first turn issue that was happening before. Spent all night working on finding that :lol:

Will work with saves too:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4i9_mxIYkcOY3llUk4tWkpIMG8

I will work on finding out why they are not taking the city tommarow

When you release the updates you include that update in the OP right? Just want to make sure.

Cause before when I use the file above the save would still crash with it. Also another issue with it is a lot of civilization seem to be repeating when you have to select one. For example there are 5 Dwarf - Hill civilizations. Then If i try to start a game, it freezes. I then tried redownloading the whole mod using the files in the OP, but I still get the same issues.

Top Bottom