WiP: Goody Hut article

.Shane.

Take it like a voter
Retired Moderator
Notes:
1. I posted it here, rather than in articles as its a work in progress and am very open to further help, information, and corrections.
2. If this is completely redundant to an existing article that I've missed, please let me know.

Purpose
*The intent of this thread is to understand the underlying mechanics of goody huts.

What is a goody hut?
*They are the little village icons that you see on unsettled squares early in the game.

What does it mean to "pop" them?
*You pop them either with a unit or if your culture expands to encompass them in your border.
*Scouts/Explorers generate better results for popping, so there are 3 distinct outcome tables: Scout/Explorer, Non-Sc/Ex, and Cultural.

Next, I'll give some info on the probabilities of getting each result with some caveats and over-riding rules.

First off, we'll just examine the mid level difficulty level, noble. The chart has 3 values: chances for the effect listed/overall chances/% chance

Non-scout/exp unit (typically warrior)
*Probably the most common pop, since most civs do not start w/ scouts. Also the most risky.
High Gold: 3/21=14.29%
Low Gold: 4/21=19.05%
Map: 2/21=9.52%
Warrior: 2/21=9.52%
Scout: 1/21=4.76%
Experience: 2/21=9.52%
Healing: 1/21=4.76%
Tech: 2/21=9.52%
Weak Barbs: 2/21=9.52%
Strong Barbs: 2/21=9.52%

Scout/Explorer unit
*The advantage of this unit is that it cannot pop barbarians. This has a 2-fold effect. 1. Nothing bad can happen. 2. All positive outcomes are more likely.
High Gold: 3/17=17.65%
Low Gold: 4/17=23.53%
Map: 2/17=11.76%
Warrior: 2/17=11.76%
Scout: 1/17=5.88%
Experience: 2/17=11.76%
Healing: 1/17=5.88%
Tech: 2/17=11.76%

Cultural
*This is the rarest pop, as it most likely will only happen once, at your founding city, if at all. Why? Because by the time additional cities are founded, almost all huts are popped. Secondly, for this to even work w/ your first city you need a hut w/in your Fatcross (FC). ]
*It also has a slight risk. The longer you wait to pop it via a cultural expansion, the more likely a rival will pop it.
*That said, I think its the best value pop as, like the scout/explorer, there are no barbarians. But, it also eliminates a couple of the weaker goodies. Since a cultural pop is not done by a unit, healing and experience are impossible.
High Gold: 3/14=21.43%
Low Gold: 4/14=28.57
Map: 2/14=14.29
Warrior: 2/14=14.29
Scout: 1/14=7.14
Tech: 2/14=14.29

Additional Notes
*The values for Scout/Exp. pop and culture pop are not 100% accurate, in that what really happens is if a value is returned that is not valid (ie healing for a full unit) the result is re-rolled. If this happens 10 times w/out a legitimate result, then you get nothing. The chance of an invalid goody occuring on 10 successive attempts is very low. IE: the worst-case is a diety culture pop under 20 turns, or in a MP game. About 1 in 400 chance of getting nothing. When time allows I'll extrapolate these into the % chances.
*If you have no cities you will never get barbs.
*If you have one city and the hut is within 7 tiles (taking diagonals as 1.5, rounded down).
*If you have barbs turned off, you will never get barbs. (duh!)
*You cannot get a warrior within the first 20 turns, or a multiplayer game. Presumably this is because a warrior this early could potentially unbalance the game, but I've not corroborated this.
*I've not mentioned settler in this thread, but it is an outcome on the lower skill levels and will be included, eventually. However, you can't get a settler in one-city challenge.
*For healing you need to be at at least 60% damage (40% health). A warrior, for example, would have to be at 0.8 strength or lower to get a healing hut. It'll always heal you up to full health.
*Experience is always 5 points

Maps:
*First a plot is selected within a radius of 4 (same formula as for barb spawn above) of the plot. The higher the value of this range the more likely the plot is to be selected. It cannot be the plot the hut was on.
*Every plot within a radius of 4 (same forumla) of this new plot has an 80% chance of being revealed.

Gold:
*Low gold = 20 gold + random number 0-20 + random number 0-20
*High gold = 20 gold + random number 0-50 + random number 0-50

Barbarians:
*Weak barbs: Minimum of 1 barb will be placed. Each plot surrounding the goody has a 20% chance of spawning a barb warrior. Plot must be passable to the barb (no water/mountains etc)
*Strong barbs: Minimum of 2 barbs will be placed. Each plot surrounding the goody has a 40% chance of spawning a barb warrior. Plot must be passable to the barb (no water/mountains etc)
*If min barb number not met after two cycles through the plots no more barbs are spawned. This overrides the minimum.

Source CFC thread that inspired me to put this together.

List of future tasks
*Index for the 3 outcomes for all skill levels.
*Have "webified" (volunteers?).
*If and when it passes muster, submit for consideration in the War Academy.

Credits:
The Great Apple: Primary author and researcher
.Shane.: Secondary author and editor

The chances for all results on all difficulty settings are clearly defined in the game's xml assets. Instead of running a limited number of trials, you could pull your numbers from there.

malekithe said:
The chances for all results on all difficulty settings are clearly defined in the game's xml assets. Instead of running a limited number of trials, you could pull your numbers from there.

Yeah, that is what the Great Apple did! :)

Thanks for compiling this, I had always thought scout pops are better than cultural pops. Guess not. Very useful article..

Hmmm. You can't get a tech unless you can research it, and it turns out that you can't research until after your first city is built. The plot revealing, and hence goody popping occurs before the city is actually fully built in the code, so you're correct.

You can't get a tech on building your first city. This means it's probably a good idea to pop huts with your scout/warrior before building the city.

Good article, I was curious about that. I had never seen a barbarian result as a cultural pop, now I know I never will.

ps. As far as I can remember, all of my cultural pops have been money.

The Great Apple said:
Hmmm. You can't get a tech unless you can research it, and it turns out that you can't research until after your first city is built. The plot revealing, and hence goody popping occurs before the city is actually fully built in the code, so you're correct..

But, if its a cultural expansion, then you could get a tech, correct?

since you allready have a city, Yes....
But that would take atleast 5 turns (at normal speed) during which an AI scout may well pick up the hut.

If the city is not your capitol... It will take even longer than 5 turns and its highly unlikely that it is still there to pop once your borders have popped (Unless offcourse you are on an island alone or behind a choke point that you closed off with no AI behind it)

Good work from The Great Apple and .Shane. :goodjob:

I would put it in the strategy articles section as this is not a discussion but an article. Maybe not fully finished but still. I have no doubt that it will be added to the game mechanics section of the War Academy if you finish it. However, all articles in the War Academy come from the strategy articles section of this forum.

Interesting and very readable article. Good work. I have definitely got techs from cultural expansions before. I wonder, are there some techs that are more likely to be popped than others, or is just one available tech picked at random. It's incredibly irritating when you pop a tech you're only one turn away from researching :mad:.

The information about the amount of gold popped was also interesting and makes sense.

If barbs are turned off, do non-scout units act as scouts? On second thoughts this can't be true because you can still pop experience.

I can confirm that warriors cannot be popped in MP (at least it's never happened to me). I wonder if this 12% is added to the likelihood of popping a scout, because I'm sure this happens more than 6% of the time.

I can honestly say I have never popped health, I didn't know this was possible. Having said that I suppose it's extremely unlikely. It has around a 5% likelihood as it is and you have to be at 40% health. I wondered if that also doesn't happen in MP, because I only play this.

.Shane. said:
Maps:
*First a plot is selected within a radius of 4 (same formula as for barb spawn above) of the plot. The higher the value of this range the more likely the plot is to be selected. It cannot be the plot the hut was on.
*Every plot within a radius of 4 (same forumla) of this new plot has an 80% chance of being revealed.

Do you mean any tile is selected which is within 4 tiles distance from the hut's tile? (What is the formula for barb spawn? I can't find it.) And 80% of all tiles within a 4 tile radius of afore-mentioned tile are revealed, correct? Don't suppose tiles with huts on are more likely to be revealed, because they are the most useful tiles to be uncovered.

Also is there any formula or pattern for the occurence of tribal huts? They seem to be spread out fairly evenly. If there was some way of working out where they might be that'd be awesome :cool:.

pixiejmcc said:
Interesting and very readable article. Good work. I have definitely got techs from cultural expansions before. I wonder, are there some techs that are more likely to be popped than others, or is just one available tech picked at random. It's incredibly irritating when you pop a tech you're only one turn away from researching :mad:.

Someone did a list once. IIRC you can never pop a tech that will give you a religion. I don't think you can pop anything beyond Astronomy either. I don't think you can pop Priesthood, but I'm not sure.

The only techs that you can pop are those where bGoodyTech = 1 in CIV4TechInfos.xml.

The tech selected is chosen randomly from the list of GoodyTechs that you can research - CvPlayer::receiveGoody().

You may want to make it clear that plot distance (ie, the shape of the expaning fat cross), rather than step distance (a square), is being used.

sydhe said:
Someone did a list once. IIRC you can never pop a tech that will give you a religion. I don't think you can pop anything beyond Astronomy either. I don't think you can pop Priesthood, but I'm not sure.

Yes I'm sure you can't pop a religion, well certainly not the early ones ;). Someone told me he once popped Civil service!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This was Vanilla. May be they changed that.

May be you can't pop any tech in the renaissance era and beyond. Just a theory

Top Bottom