[WIP] Indonesia Split (Community Project)

Wow, there's been a lot of responses in my absence. I'll need time to rake through it all but I have decided one thing:

Instead of just one split. I'll be working on Indonesian Packs. Each pack will have 3-5 civs. I'm hoping to do at least one for each major island, but I'm not sure of the logistics of that. As of now, I'm taking suggestions for a 4th Javanese civ. I apologize if you've already suggested one and I missed it and kindly ask you to re suggest.

Has Aceh been considered already? Because I believe that could have some nice material for a civ, even if you consider only the period of the Aceh war against the Dutch.

I think the three of them (Medang, Majapahit, and Mataram) are reasonable enough. However, if you really want to push forth another Civ, the first thing that popped in my head was Sunda (That kingodm next to Majapahit). Then after that comes other Sultanate that popped up in the west Java during at the twilight of Mataram, such as Cirebon or Banten. Sadly im on a tight space right now so can't really elaborate.

Ok, here's a little bit more my previous sugestion, the Sunda.

a little bit of rant and historical infos in spoiler below.
Spoiler :
The Sunda Kingdom (669 - 1579) was founded on 7th century, and was the successor of Tarumanegara, the first historical kingdom in Java. The kingdom itself adopted Hinduism as its main religion mixed but most of the population still holds traditional beliefs (Sunda Wiwitan). Their territory consist of the entire West Java, with Banten and Jakarta thrown in, and also some of the westernmost part of Central Java today.

While many superficial similarities can be found with its neighboring Javanese kingdoms, Sunda actually belongs to a different cultural group. It has its own alphabet, norms, tradition, arts, etc. This perhaps could be product of isolation from both parties.

Historically, while you see that Javanese kingdoms that were going to be featured in this split seems to be keen on expansion (Mataram occupies so much new land that they need a new governmental system to handle it, Majapahit's prime minister had vision about conquering all known island) the Sunda tends to keep to themselves. Speaking about Majapahit's prime minister, none other than Gajah Mada, had a bad rep with this kingdom and its people in general due to the Bubat Tragedy/ Bubat War, that lead the most of the Sundanese royal family to be massacred. Sundanese are still somewhat sensitive about this issue, (some traditional communities still detest Majaphit and Javanese) even until today.

To put it simply, I think the Sunda Kindom sorta deserves the spot due to them being not a Javanese ethnic kingdom in Java Island. They had unique cultural background that separates them with the rest of the Island. The Sunda could be this first split token Turtle-Civ, with focus on faith or culture/tourism instead. I had a vague idea about their uniques, but they could definitely uses Kujang Warrior as their UU. The leader is most definitely King Siliwangi, the last and the most memorable monarch to the Sundanese, before the kingdom was overthrown by The Sultanate of Demak.

How about Kediri? It'd be perfect for the Spice Islanders ability.
This could work, and opens up the opportunity for Majapahit to use Sapta Mandala/Palapan Oath related UA, which really shows how the empire was during the reign of Gajah Mada as PM. But, If only we can work the Jayabhaya Prophecy as the Unique Ability for Kediri.

For keidiri, how about that:

UA: Spice routes
Naval :trade: trade routes provide a copy of a random luxury present in the receiving city, and :trade: trade units in your territory grant :c5greatperson: great writer points to the nearest city. Receive :c5goldenage: golden age points from :greatwork: great works of writing equal to their :c5culture: culture output, which is increased by +1 per each :trade: trade route sent from the city they're stored in.

UB: Wayang Kulit
Replaces amphitheatre. Grants +1 :c5culture: culture and :c5faith: faith from :greatwork: great works per each religion with at least 1 follower in the city. +2 :c5happy: happiness.

and for the Sunda, how about this?

Sunda Kingdom
Leader: Jayadewata (Prabu Siliwangi II)
UA: Gemuh Pakuan
Religious buildings are maintenance free and generates point towards Golden Age. City with the same belief as capital grants combat bonus to units fighting in its territory (10% at Pantheon, 15% at founding of a religion, 20% when you enhanced it, and 30% at reformation)

UU: Kujang Warrior
Replaces the Swordsman.Receive Drill 1 Promotion and generates point towards Golden Ages.

UB: Nyusuk (defensive trench)
Replaces walls, and gave the city 10 combat strength instead of 5. Units stationed in city and all tiles adjacent to it gain 15% defensive bonus against all types of attack.

Inspiration
Spoiler :
I kinda felt that the earlier suggestion felt too generic, so I revamped most of them. The UU means "Prosperous Age for Pakuan's (Sunda's Capital)" which came from 18th century texts called Kitab Waruga Jagat and another one called Pancakaki Masalah Karuhun Kabeh, which uses that term to define the Sunda Kingdom during the reign of Jayadewata, which nowadays are also titled Prabu Siliwangi II. Inspired by that, I designed the civ to be Golden Age oriented, while still keeping the defensive bonus from religion I had proposed before. The maintenance free religious buildings were a work-around the first order of Jayadewata after he acsended the throne, to free several types of taxes from several regions because his grandfather regards them to be very pious.

UU: The kujang was a traditional blade for the Sundanese, that some argues to have some mythical qualities (just like Keris from the rest of Java). I just direct this unit towards Golden Age to comply its UA. The Drill 1 promotion came from the geographical appearance of the West Java region, which was said to be heavy forested and uneven.

UB: Nyusuk was a term for defensive trench/moat (the Indonesian translation for both word are actualy the same: Parit, so I dont realy know which one) that was built by Jayadewata surrounding its capital -Pakuan-, according to Batutulis Inscription. I initially perceived this to be an Improvement, but I think its better to make it as a building instead. Trench that surrounds the city will definitely gave units stationing itself inside to become less likely to take damage, hence the defense bonus. This building hopefully would help the Sunda to Defend itself more.

Instead of just one split. I'll be working on Indonesian Packs. Each pack will have 3-5 civs. I'm hoping to do at least one for each major island, but I'm not sure of the logistics of that. As of now, I'm taking suggestions for a 4th Javanese civ. I apologize if you've already suggested one and I missed it and kindly ask you to re suggest.

Here's my proposal:

I tried to divide the Nusantara into 6 region, with 4 civs each. Red dots are proposed starting location. I too, think it's very probable that we might not finish with all of this... but that's a problem for the future, isn't it? Haha
Spoiler :
Several reasoning behind this map:
- Bali is more culturally similar to Java compared to Sunda, and more interesting to cover rather than another Javanese civ.
- Lampung and Bengkulu are traditionally part of Banten sultanate (Yellow)
- Dutch East Indies (VOC) are imo an interesting period, and since it's capital is in Batavia (then Jakarta); I put together in Yellow group.
- I don't include Srivijaya, Modern Indonesia and Aceh since as aforementioned there's another project on them.
- Sumba and Timor used to be part of Macassan empire/sultanate of Gowa
- There's not much info on the eastern island of Indonesia, so I group them into one.
- Malayan peninsula is culturally inseparable, they are only divided (until now) from the rest of Nusantara when European arrived.
- Mindanao are part of Brunei's realm as Sultanate of Sulu.

Here's my civ list proposal, arranged clockwise from the northernmost red dot:

Thats some planning you got there BenZL. For whether we complete it or not, lets just hope for the best (altough theres no really harm done with setting the expectation bar a bit low haha)
Seeing your list, do you mind if I suggest some things?
1. Merging the Java and Sunda realm. Tarumanegara and Sunda are actually very closely related to one another. Tarumanegara changed its name when the newly appointed king moved the capital towards a new city. Im not saying they are the same kingdom, but I take it as they are both represent Sunda as a whole. That being said, my idea for the Java realm and their focus are
-Sunda (religious&defense)
-Medang (production)
-Majapahit (expansion towards city states?)
-Mataram (expansion and less penalty for annexing/puppeting)
-Bali (food&culture-tourism)
We can moved Dutch East Indies/VOC to Melanesian realm. While their capital was located in Java, they first arrived and monopolized the trade at the moluccas. Even today, most european colonization are left more impact on the eastern Indonesian archipelago.
2. Brunei Civilization had been completed by someone else.
3. Changed the name Papua to Asmat, because Papuan had been done before, and Asmat os an actual tribe that dominates Irian, this making the entry more unique and historical
4. Malaysia Civ are in progress as well. I got a hunch they will instead based it off from Malacca Sultanate for the uniques, making it more or less the same as the thing we planning to do.
5. No Ternate and Tidore?
6. I know you mentioned it before, but Sumba could be a steppe civ look alike.. Hehe

Thats some planning you got there BenZL. For whether we complete it or not, lets just hope for the best (altough theres no really harm done with setting the expectation bar a bit low haha)
Seeing your list, do you mind if I suggest some things?
1. Merging the Java and Sunda realm. Tarumanegara and Sunda are actually very closely related to one another. Tarumanegara changed its name when the newly appointed king moved the capital towards a new city. Im not saying they are the same kingdom, but I take it as they are both represent Sunda as a whole. That being said, my idea for the Java realm and their focus are
-Sunda (religious&defense)
-Medang (production)
-Majapahit (expansion towards city states?)
-Mataram (expansion and less penalty for annexing/puppeting)
-Bali (food&culture-tourism)
We can moved Dutch East Indies/VOC to Melanesian realm. While their capital was located in Java, they first arrived and monopolized the trade at the moluccas. Even today, most european colonization are left more impact on the eastern Indonesian archipelago.
2. Brunei Civilization had been completed by someone else.
3. Changed the name Papua to Asmat, because Papuan had been done before, and Asmat os an actual tribe that dominates Irian, this making the entry more unique and historical
4. Malaysia Civ are in progress as well. I got a hunch they will instead based it off from Malacca Sultanate for the uniques, making it more or less the same as the thing we planning to do.
5. No Ternate and Tidore?
6. I know you mentioned it before, but Sumba could be a steppe civ look alike.. Hehe

Good point.
1. Indeed, Tarumanegara and Sunda is almost continuous. Should we put Sultanate of Banten here too? I really like the Sultanate because it's like the Islamic era version of Sundanese civilization. Moreover it also plays important role in Colonial world (as Bantam the port city, Bantam presidency, etc), a center of Pepper trading and the only Sundanese civilization that extends its control to Lampung and Bengkulu, partly explaining why Malay aren't majority there.
2. That's interesting. Who did that? I'd like to read how they designed Brunei haha
3. I was trying to base Papua on the small kingdoms in Onin Peninsula that was a vassal state of Majapahit as Wwanin.. but now I search again for references and can't find it in reliable and sufficient amount. Rajapapua's Papuan Empire was based on Papuan New Guinea afaik, but idea based on Asmat or Dani with capital at Baliem sounds interesting also.
4. Do you mean the Colonialist Legacy's Malaysia civilization?
5. Moloku Kie Raha is actually a union of Ternate, Tidore, Jailolo and Bacan sultanates. They were united in order to shoo away European in the Spices islands. There's plan to rename current province's Maluku Utara into Moloku Kieraha as well.

On a side note, I think it will be interesting if there's scenario of duel map size and archipelago type where Ternate and Tidore are both smal island at fixed 6 tiles away from each other, with lots of city state scattered around the map randomly. Those who control most territory win.

6. I'm not sure about Sumba. Are the people there goes everywhere by horse and live nomadic? I haven't read about that yet but I am aware that there's lots of horses there though.

@BenZL
1. Well, Its a possibility alright. Im certainly starting to like the Idea as well. So we could get Mataram (Islamic Javanese) and Banten (Islamic Sundanese) together? Not counting the VOC that came probably later. Its gonna be the Siege of Batavia all over again huh?

Speaking of Mataram, I managed to find this neat article in Indonesian that cover some important point about Mataram's army. What I found is that, during invasions, Mataram usually only sent few hundreds 'elite soldiers', and thousands of militias that came from commoners. One of the better units was the cavalery, which the Javanese handled pretty well. I think, we can get some intresting Uniques for Mataram, which was
Mataram
Leader: Sultan Agung
UA: Kabupaten
Puppeted cities generates science and culture as normal and produce less unhappiness. When a war break out, puppeted or annexed capital give out free units.

UU: Kavaleri
Mataram replacement's for Lancer. Had no penalty for attacking cities. During war, stationing this unit inside a captured city will generate 2+ unhappiness but will summons two infantry untis of the current era. This infantry units can't gain promotions and will dissappear when the war ends.

UB: Lumbung Padi
Replaces granary. Units trained in this city will heal faster in enemy territory.
Just an Idea I guess (just like what i've been doing in this thread for days:crazyeye:), I had little interest in war when playing, so I dont know whether this is a well thought expansion civ or not.

3. Wwanin are probably just a smaller kingdom under Ternate, dunno what you could work out of that. There was this english website about a particular Papuan king that I haven't found again, i think its intresting (not new-civ-intresting, just intresting-intresting)

4. Yeah, and they seemed to based it off from Malacca Sultanate, with bit anachronism in the process. But I haven't found a complete post, maybe because they had such a big thread for me?

5. Of course not, haha.

It's easier than getting new models, but still, there's few people doing it, so unless you learnt to do it you'll have a fat chance at getting all of those.

That's amazing. He even covered Dayak, Batak and Timor. Bakuel's work is always very high in quality.

Minor loss of internet but I'm back and working exclusively on the Java Pack!

I've decided on 4 civs for the pack

Medang - Religion/Production focus

Kediri - Trade/Gold Focus

Majahapit - Military/Trade Focus

Mataram - Conquest Focus

Regarding Matatam, I've thought it over and I think having a base Happiness boost from conquering cities and a shorter resistance time is best. (Mainly due to my lack of lua skills)

Actually I think I'm going to need a resident lua master if this is going to be released anytime soon.

So until the code can be figured out, Peace and War themes could be compiled now. I already have Medang's and Kediri's

No Sunda? Ah well, youre the boss after all.
Regarding the themes, are Majapahit going to use the default ones? This means only Mataram that needs a new themes right? How about this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrRlRctGVBY
You can check other Gamelan music from that channel. I choose this one because this use Yogyakakarta's (half of the Mataram after being split by the Dutch) style, and its was a Soran, meaning an arangement meant to played loudly, so I guess you can dissect it as both the Peace(0:00-2:23) and the War (later parts of the song). And yes, this is Loud according to Javanese Gamelan, unlike the Balinese which are more active.
I think we can find more appropriate theme, but this is what I managed to dig up until now.

Top Bottom