1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[WIP] [ModModMod] DoC: Yuge Edition

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall - Dawn of Civilization' started by AtlantaMarty, May 24, 2016.

?

What should I multiply the number of tiles in each direction by?

1. 25% (This would make the map 56.25% larger)

33.3%
  2. 33% (This would make the map 76.11% larger)

19.0%
  3. 50% (This would make the map 125% larger)

47.6%
  1. AtlantaMarty

AtlantaMarty No longer active

I am going to try to create a ModModMod for DoC that increases the map size, adds semidesert terrain, and maybe includes a few more civs.

There is no guarantee that I have the skills or time to actually make this, but I will give it a try.

The first step would be to create the map.
    I am still deciding between 3 alternatives:
    1. Increase the map size by 25% in each dimension
      Spoiler :
      This would make the map 155x85=13175 tiles, 56.25% larger than the current map
    2. Increase the map size by 33% in each dimension
      Spoiler :
      This would make the map 165x90=14850 tiles, 76.11% larger than the current map
    3. Increase the map size by 50% in each dimension
      Spoiler :
      This would make the map 186x102=18972 tiles, 125% larger than the current map

I also am unsure if it would be better to multiply the x and y coordinates from the current map or simply create a new map from scratch. I want to keep the enlarged Europe and Robinson projection from the current map, but multiplying the coordinates would involve tweaking of many parts of the map, since I wouldn't be multiplying them by a whole number.

2. Big Heb

Big Heb Warlord

50%. If there are any areas that particularly need enlarging, it's the Balkans, Sub-Saharan Africa, the Levant and Mesopotamia, Persia, Central Asia, North America and South America. However, if you're just going to take the current map and keep the general shape just with 50% greater size, it's a good start.

As long as we can build the Great Wall and whip Leoreth for it. :lol:

3. citis

citis Deity

Consider using GEM instead a creating a new from scratch. Creating a new earth map requires months.

4. Yoda Power

Yoda Power ✫✫✫✫✫✫✫

Would you be interested in an even bigger map? I made one that's around 200x100. But I didn't post it.

5. Ani Taneen

Ani Taneen Warlord

I agree, we already have the Giant Earth Map (GEM). I feel that It would be a good starting point, as the task of balancing the game will be heavy. Don't forget that in DOC we use the "island tile" that will need to be implemented. Also the Ai will need to be cnaged for city placement and the CNM may need to be redone in some areas.

6. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

GEM uses a weird projection. I'm not even sure what it uses but it's certainly not Robinson or a comparable area/angle compromise projection. Also everything seems to be stretched in the X direction.

7. Alexius08

Alexius08 Emperor

The whole map is hand-sketched to slightly enlarge highly-active areas (like Europe and Asia) at the expense of less active areas such as oceans, deserts and jungles. I think that the same thing had been done on RFC's base map to give enough space for European civs.

8. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

I know, but it still uses a terrible projection to base the hand-sketching on. It also way overemphasizes geographical features that should have no bearing even on this resolution but that's more a matter of taste complaint.

9. ozqar

ozqar King

If you're up for creating a map from scratch, I would recommend/request you use a cylindrical equal-area map projection (wiki), as a base. Of course, on that you should enlarge areas where most civs will be present: Europe, the whole Asian coast (from Middle East to Korea) and you can reduce the size of oceans.

10. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

I recommend Robinson or Winkel-Tripel. Cutting the map to make it rectangular is trivial.

11. Yoda Power

Yoda Power ✫✫✫✫✫✫✫

Here's the worldbuilder save for my map. In my own opinion it's the best civ4 world map there is. But I'm obviously biased. ;)

It's based on the outlines of my civ3 world map, which is afterall the most downloaded civ3 map in the database.

I also included the layer files. :)

Attached Files:

12. youtien

youtien Lyricist

It would take days to complete a game in huge map, and it takes forever to balance your scenario.

13. DC123456789

DC123456789 Deity

Nothing wrong with a nice, long game.

14. Big Heb

Big Heb Warlord

Amen to that. I only play on Marathon speed anyway!

Yoda's map looks quite good as far as the projection goes. I can't say anything for sure about resource or city placement.

15. AtlantaMarty

It's a great map, but it is too big for this project in my opinion. With all of the complicated RFC mechanics, the ethnic art, and the number of civs, I worry turns would become too long on many computers. It would also take much more time to balance than the 33% expansion that I favor. I also want to keep the basic RFC map outline (Enlarged Europe and Japan, etc...) But I definitely look forward to using this map to play normal Civ 4 games!

jorissimo likes this.
  16. Yoda Power

Yoda Power ✫✫✫✫✫✫✫

Yeah. The size is also the reason I never posted it before. It's very slow in late game.

17. Force44

Force44 Prince

If you want to make a modmod with a larger map, I would recommend making the map as large as you are still comfortable with. If only for the japanese ricewine of diversity.

jorissimo likes this.
  18. AtlantaMarty

Sake?

19. Force44

Force44 Prince

yup
    :cheers:

jorissimo likes this.
  20. merijn_v1

merijn_v1 Black Belt

Have you ever thought of this?