1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[WIP] Sikh/Punjabi civilization - looking for suggestions and art help

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Creation & Customization' started by Gurra09, Jan 24, 2014.

1. Gurra09

Gurra09 First Consul

This civ has been released: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=535842

Hello! :)

I have started working on a Punjab civ to fill the void of no civ preferring founding the Sikhism religion. It's not quite finished yet, below is a little summary of what I have at the moment and what still needs to be be done. This first post might not always be up to date though, so the best way to see where this is at is to check the last page.

Sikh Empire
    Leader: Ranjit Singh
    Unique Ability: Sarkar-e-Khalsa - Still up for discussion. I have compiled a list of four possible iterations of the UA in this post that I would love some feedback on.
    Unique Unit: Guru - Replaces Great Prophet. Can create a Great Work of Writing.
    Unique Building: Gurdwara - Replaces Temple. +2 :c5faith:, +1 :c5food:, +1 :c5food: per Religion in City.

Screenshots, these are not from the latest version but just to give you an idea of how it looks:
    Spoiler :
    Setup screen, choosing to play Punjab,

Extra movement for my Worker.

A Guru is born.

Guru creates a Great Work.

Ranjit Singh leader scene!

What's left to do
    Most of the coding is now done, and what really needs finishing is the art and a few other things. I put together a list below on what is not done yet.

Guru - The Guru has a problem with naming in that when they spawn by reaching a certain amount of faith they don't get a unique name. The unique names are applied when a Guru is born in any other way though.

Art - Most of the art is done except for a unit flag for the Guru, for the moment being it uses the Prophet unit flag.

Music - I'm also looking for some nice music to go with the civ (peace/war themes) but I haven't found anything yet, but I haven't searched a lot either. If you have any music theme suggestions, please post them! :)

Gurdwara icon problem - There's a problem with the Gurdwara building icon, here's a quote from a post of mine:
    Another idea I had was to later when the civ is done make a scenario of the Anglo-Sikh wars, which in the real world lead to the end of the Sikh Empire but who knows what would happen in the game. ;)

2. bane_

bane_ Howardianism High-Priest

What about:

UU - Kshatriya
    After a Kshatriya kills an unit, nearby friendly units get +10% Combat strength. Replaces the Spearman. A bit lower Production cost.

If I'm not mistaken, Kshatriya is a caste of military, the second in importance of the three Vardas (sp?).

3. AW Arcaeca

AW Arcaeca Deus Vult

4. Gurra09

Gurra09 First Consul

bane: as far as I know Sikhism doesn't have the castes, Hinduism does, so I don't think that would be a good UU. Interesting special power though.

AgressiveWimp: Yes, exactly like so! :)

5. AW Arcaeca

AW Arcaeca Deus Vult

As a UU, you might try a Singh:
    Or maybe a Nihung, or something relating to the Khalsa.

6. otaman1

otaman1 Prince

Or try the Guru.

7. Gurra09

Gurra09 First Consul

Maybe Guru could be a Great Prophet replacement like the Mongols have their Khan for GG and Venice their Merchant of Venice for GM? It would need something special about it though, and then the question is what that could be.

Thanks for all the ideas you have posted already, now I have several things on my mind for second unique unit.

8. TPangolin

TPangolin Just the worst person

I'll work on something when I have time.

9. Gurra09

Gurra09 First Consul

That would be lovely, TPangolin. Thanks a lot in advance! :)

10. bane_

Whoops! Mixed things up.
    I should've searched a bit before posting, not very good on Indian history.

My bad. :(

11. bane_

So, here is my ideas - ignore them, disregard them as trash, mix them with others, do what you want, they are yours to do whatever you want. :D

UA - Release from Illusion's Grasp
    Your military units give you :c5faith: Faith when killed. Receive a 100% Guru production bonus during Golden Ages.

UU - Guru
    Have a Special Ability that refresh all friendly units within 2 tiles.
    Replaces the Great Prophet.

or

UU - Guru
    Units nearby the Guru have +10% Combat strength and give your Empire :c5faith: Faith on kills.
    Replaces the Great Prophet.

UB - Something to do with "Justice"
    Gives you +3 :c5happy: Happiness while the Empire is happy. Gives +1 :c5culture: Culture. Costs 1 for maintenance.
    Replaces the Courthouse.

12. Gurra09

Gurra09 First Consul

Edit: Never mind, I solved the problem just a second after posting hehe.

13. TPangolin

14. Gurra09

Gurra09 First Consul

Those are great, TPangolin! Thanks. :) I'll definitely use the civ and Guru icon! I'm still thinking about whether I'll go for the Singh or keep my Fast Worker.

15. TPangolin

That's Ranjit Singh!

16. Pouakai

Pouakai It belongs in a museum. Moderator

Another option (just to complicate things) would be the Rajput. We were considering them for the Maratha, but they were too fancy for the model / icon we had. They seem to be fairly prevalent in the Sikh region too

17. Krajzen

Krajzen Deity

Personally I would recommend changing Fast Worker on something more interesting if it isn't big problem ;)

Well, Fast Worker is probably the most boring UU possible :(

18. Gurra09

Gurra09 First Consul

TPangolin: Oh, right! Lol :D Now he just needs a leaderscreen to accompany his icon.

Krajzen: Yeah, it's not very interesting really. If I manage to make up a more interesting unique unit/building/improvement I'll probably replace it.

Pouakai: Hmm, yeah, Wikipedia says they were found in Punjab among other places. Although the Rajput also seem to be Hindu warriors like the other ones bane suggested earlier? This civ is Punjabi Empire though, not Sikh Empire.

19. AW Arcaeca

AW Arcaeca Deus Vult

20. Gurra09

Gurra09 First Consul

Gurdwara is a great idea, AggressiveWimp! It could be maybe a Temple replacement.

TPangolin, I don't manage adding in your icons correctlu. :confused: The civ icon Wimp made me yesterday (see higher up) worked perfectly but I don't get yours to.

First, when I tried your civ icon it wouldn't work at all due to non-square. And when I squeezed it to be square it was still so big it would be in the way of the borders:

So I went back to Wimp's civ icon and started with your Ranjit Singh icon but that one is also too big and no matter what I do I can't find out what to do with it to get it look good with that border like the other leaders.

You see how he's outside of the border in the bottom right corner? I don't get a grip of this, it just makes me angry :p