[WIP] The Viking Age for BNW Scenario

Craig_Sutter

Deity
map.gif

This is a mod that I have been working on, off and on, for about 4 years through various iterations of Civ V. However, the scenario actually has a much longer history... I played a solo variation of it from Civ III at the beginning. With Civ IV, I returned to the concept when the Medieval Mod for Civ IV was initiated. I had a part in the Medieval Mod's creation and incorporated elements of that mod, notably the tech tree with some variation, in two scenarios that I had developed, one of which was the Viking Age. My scenario was fairly well received at that time though the Medieval Mod itself collapsed with various of its creators moving on... it was never updated for Beyond the Sword and is almost never played (although I have the files for the Civ IV version if anyone asks).

Then on came Civ V... I was very happy to learn that Civ IV maps could be converted to Civ V. I am inordinately proud of the map I made for the Viking age :) . So I set about converting the map and using some of the broader ideas that were introduced in the Civ IV version.

The Scenario runs from 500 AD to 1235 AD, 1500 turns. As yet, I only have Domination and point victories set.

Currently, the game is very playable. I have tested it extensively. I would consider it about 80% finished. There are a number of text entries that need to be finished. As well, changes need to be made to some game elements such as the league of nations and cultural victories et. al. to make them more fitting to the Medieval theme. I also need to rework the Science victory and work on some custom victories to add to the Scenario flavor. As well, though extensive testing has been done using Autoplay, balance may need to be worked on... I am hoping player input will assist in this.

There are 19 civs on the map. They include, in alphabetical order...

The Britons: "One and All" - +25% Production towards any buildings that already exist in the Capital. Glastonbury subkingdom.
Connacht: "Neither Fear, nor Spurn" - Food and Culture from friendly City-States increased by 50%. Gain 90 Influence with a Great Person gift to a City-State.
Cymru: "High King's Legacy" - City-State Influence degrades at half and recovers at twice the normal rate. Pengwern subkingdom.
Dal Riata: "Spare not!" - Buildings produced 1/3 faster. Pastures give +1 food and production.
Denmark: "From the fury of the Northmen release us, O Lord!" - Naval Melee units receive the Longship promotion. Free Great Heathen Army units with capture of enemy cities. Free pillage moves for melee.
Domaine Royal of France: "The City of Light" - Only one city allowed. No annexing. All cities transferred to Franks. Gain Science and Gold from buildings built by Franks. Construction of iron and horse units spawns units in Frank cities that have improved iron and horse resources.
Frisia: "Eala Frya Fresena!" - Resource diversity grants twice as much Gold in Trade Routes. Fort improvements yield +1 food and production. Unimproved Marsh yields extra food and can build Polder Improvement in Marsh.
Hladir: "Norse Sagas" - Naval Melee units recieve the Longship promotion. Units may embark across any water hex in any era. All coastal Cities get a free Harbor. +1 culture and science from fishing boats.
Holy Roman Empire: "Carolingian Legacy" - No settlers nor annexing of cities. Purchase in puppeted cities. Puppets give bonuses towards Gold, Great Persons and Golden Age generation and length. In Golden Ages, units have +1 Movement and a +10% Strength. Bruges subkingdom.
Mercia: "Let Thine Enemies be Scattered" - Combat Strength +20% when fighting City-State units or cities. Receive 50% culture from kills. Founded cities and the capital get free Bretwalda Hall. Lindisware subkingdom.
Munster: "The Strong Hand Uppermost" - Units fight as though they were at full strength even when damaged.
Normandy: "Look I have already grasped my Kingdom" - All melee and mounted units receive the Conqueror promotion. Sheriff unit can be expended to construct the Norman Keep unique improvement in the same way a Great General constructs a citadel.
Northumbria: "Let Us Seek the Best" - Strategic Resources provide +1 Production and Horse and Iron Resources provide double quantity. Deira subkingdom.
Norway: "Going Viking" - Naval Melee units receive the Longship promotion. Units embark across any water hex. Receive +2 Gold and +1 Culture per foreign Trade Route. Trade Route owners get +1 Gold.
Pictland: "The Hills have 'Ayes'" - Units ignore terrain costs when moving into any tile with hills. No maintenance costs for improvements in hills; half cost elsewhere. There are 2 Jewelry resources in the capital. South Pictland subkingdom.
Saxony: "The strength of Irminsul shall sustain!" - +1 Faith per city with an adjacent unimproved Forest, +2 if they have 3 or more such tiles. Improved combat within 2 hexes of Irminsul. Hamburg subkingdom.
Strathclyde: "God Feeds the Ravens" - Combat bonus (+20%) when fighting units from a Civilization with more Cities than Strathclyde.
Sweden: "Varangian Spirit" - Naval Melee units receive the Longship promotion. All land military units have +1 sight. All units move faster along rivers. Rivers act as roads for trade.
Wessex: "Calling the Fyrd" - Wessex melee units have +1 movement points and receive the free promotion Discipline. Unit maintenance is reduced 25%.

There are some new concepts I have introduced. A number of civs have subkingdoms with which they obtain very positive diplomacy numbers and bonuses. At some point, many of these subkingdoms amalgamate with the civilization in question upon the acquisition of either Nobility or Chivalry techs. Additionally, there are many scripted actions on behalf of AI civilizations that allow for a bit more historical accuracy. This mostly has to do with historical Viking attacks... the point being that for now, even given a peace treaty, the Viking civs are not to be trusted. I am going to work on refining these scripted events as time goes on to make them seem more rational and random at the same time.

During the course of creating this scenario, I used a variety of resources provided by members of this site plus many of my own creation. I have lost track of many of the creators however, because of computer wipes and interruptions in work. Because of this, I would ask that if anyone sees their own work, they let me know so I can properly credit it in the mod description and in the thread. I will list some that I do recall below (I will collect spelling of names as I return to this thread over time):

CREDITS:

wHoward - longship, assistance with much code. probably etc.
Machiavelli - his unit promotion code, assistance with code creation, probably etc.
Gedemon - city state's UU code
Don Quixote - Ingame Editor for testing, assistance with code creation
Iceco - not another city state's mod code elements
R8XFT - Some leader portraits from his mod.
JFD - Norway map
FramedArchitecture - lua from his National Park mod
LeeS - code assistance
? - Smarter Tech Tree Pipes code
? - Standing Stones Mod code
? - many unit graphics

The mod is available in my dropbox Viking Age folder.

The link follows. I hope it works:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/a4kwwipabenxgiu/The Viking Age for BNW (v 4).zip?dl=0

Please feel free to comment on the scenario... I am especially interested in balance and the late game. I also want to determine if unit and building costs are too fast or too slow. I don't want people to run out of things to build. I also would like an idea of whether tech development should be slowed down or sped up... any ideas are welcome although I do not guarantee they will be implemented.

I have added an autoplay function... simply open a new panel in firetuner and type Autoplay(100) where 100 could be any number of turns...

Differences from main game:

- no cities on Tundra/Forest.
- ship movement is very high... 15 for Triremes and various modifiers for Vikings. However, coastal hexes cost 2 mp.
- there are several quasi-unique units... they usually require unique resourced provided by certain buildings. For example, viking civs can receive Viking resources to build certain units... these are often identical to unique units however, they usually don't require a resource like iron or suffer no maintenance costs... I consider them to be special feudal levies support for which comes from nobles rather than the crown. There are also mercenary units that require resources provided by certain buildings.

- certain civilizations, Royale Domain of France and Holy Roman Empire, get benefits not reflected in the top panel as yet... France gets gold and science from buildings built by the Franks. HRE gets gold and great person points/ golden age length based upon minor cities and civilization original capitals it controls. Once I figure out how to do it, these will be reflected in Top Panel.

- also not reflected are hidden diplomatic modifiers with city states. For example, Royale Domain of France has a bonus added to its influence with the Franks every turn as well as a high initial value. This bonus is not reflected anywhere. Generally, city states that are civ subkingdoms will have such a bonus.

Religion:

Many alterations... all are founded and have had beliefs added, except for reformation. A warning- there is an extreme bias towards Catholicism. Other religions include a Nordic cult, Druidism, and Celtic Christianity. Catholicism and Asturism (sic) have religious buildings and units... Berserker Hall and Order Chapterhouse respectively. They can be used to build religious units... Berserker Warriors and Berserkers, or milites,scaretti (sic)/crusaders, crusader knights depending on technology. If a city's religion changes, the Berserker Hall or Order Chapterhouse will change from one to the other and need not be rebuilt.

To Do:

- Text descriptions for items currently marked pending.
- Mercenary Guild, Mercenary units added for late game.
- create science victory and alternative victories.
- randomize AI Viking attack targets/forces/schedule.
- rework Wonders to match scenario theme
- add appropriate natural wonders
- create more specific unit/building/tech icons and screens.
- try to format mod as a DLC.
- create alternative and balances game speeds/difficulty levels.
- add completed credits to mod intro.
- work on custom top panel.
- balance

Looks like this should be fun. Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on your outlook ;)), I'm too busy to play the mod at the moment due to my own modding commitments - but it does look quite detailed and I'd encourage others to download and take a peek. I really hope it does well.

Thanks Rob. I am really hoping for some feedback, especially as to balance.

By the way, I am looking forward to the next version of your mod. I intend to post a couple of maps using some of your civs in their starting positions. The map I am using for the Viking Age and a Civ IV European map I've had hanging around unused for many years.

I'd really be interested in trying this out at some point, especially as you included Connacht and Strathclyde (though the inclusion of the latter makes a separate group called 'The Britons' seem a tad odd). Really looking forward to seeing how the mod works out in general.

Oh yeah, and I really like the idea of the Subkingdom system.

Any chance of a rundown of the abilities/uniques of the civs involved?

I suppose they would have been better called the Romano-Britons :).

Eh it's no big issue, just something I couldn't help bringing up :p

Those UA names are pretty damn cool, even if the Pictish one is a tad odd. Will each of the civs have unique buildings or units, or is the trait the only thing that separates them?

Also out of interest, why Connacht and Munster over Leinster and Ulster? I don't really mind - as the independent Irish Provinces barely ever see representation, and it's good to see any of them, I was just curious as to your choice.

I know how to pronounce Aye, I just was not expecting that reference there is all :p

Munster had Brian Boru. Unfortunately for Leinster, they are a main Viking target, so I wanted them to be a minor civilization. Ulster was too related to Dalriata and so became a subkingdom. Also a Viking target.

Yeah that definitely makes a lot of sense, fair enough then.

Uploaded version 2 of the scenario. First post.

Included new logic for building religious units.
Added mercenary units and building.
Reworked strategic resource producing buildings and logic.
Added three natural wonders: Great Copper Mountain, Loch Ness and Great Skellig.

Autoplay enabled... open a new panel in firetuner and type Autoplay (100) or any other number of turns you wish.

Next up... work on more mercenary units.
Do a bit of artwork.
Work on Viking attack logic.

Uploaded Version 3 of the scenario. Link at the bottom of first post.

Added many new wonders replacing wonders that did not match the scenario theme.
Did a lot of new artwork for buildings and wonders.
Did many unit flags and icons.
Reworked some code for building religious units and mercenaries.
Added 4 map speeds: quick, standard, epic and marathon. Play one of 4 identical maps to get the appropriate speed.

Still to do:

--Text entries, always text entries.... sigh.
--Change or delete non-theme wonders.
--Decide how to work ideologies or eliminate them to match the theme.
--Work on other victory conditions to make them theme appropriate. Science, culture and diplomatic victories are not enabled as yet.
--continue to add and work on unit icons.
--get graphics of some units to stay medieval themes instead of changing with era.
--continue with balancing.
--work on viking attack logic.

Having playtested extensively, I am finding the mod to be very playable. I hope others who have tried or will try the mod can give me good feedback.

I have added varying game speeds to encourage those who like to play shorter scenarios to try the scenario out and contribute feedback.

I am looking for advice especially as to Natural Wonders and wonders. Ideas for new techs are also appreciated if they match the theme and fit in well with the tech tree.

Added new upload version 4 or the mod.

Worked on diplomacy and added the science victory conditions. More tinkering with balance.

The mod is playable but needs more pedia/help/strategy entries. For most people, I suspect quick or standard speeds would be the best... the other two speeds might be too slow moving for most :).

I am going to tackle cultural and diplomatic victories next.

Thank-you.

Top Bottom