1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Wiping out another religion

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by dashwinner, Jan 16, 2013.

1. Heerlo

Heerlo Jedi Master Hearlo

Yeah, I wasn't thinking about that when I did it.It just kept getting worse for some reason.:lol:

2. crazymarco

crazymarco Chieftain

So to wipe out a religion, the method is conquering the holy city and send inquisitor to remove the holy city status? So the internal pressure for holy city is gone?

What if I take others holy city before I have a religion myself? Will I gain the founder beliefs? Acutally I tried once but I cannot find the religion in the religion screen. So I can't check what's the beliefs adopted it is.

3. Browd

Browd Dilettante Administrator

First part is correct, but to truly wipe out a religion you need to counteract pressure from other cities with that religion, which means wiping that religion from other cities.

If a religion has one of the two major passive spread enhancer beliefs (itinerant preachers or religious texts) you may find the religion continuing to spread widely. And, even though the founder no longer has the founder beliefs, the founder and other civs following the religion may continue to pump out missionaries to keep spreading the religion. So "wiping out" the religion often takes more work than just conquering a holy city and stamping out its holy city character.

You do not get the other religion's founder beliefs when you conquer their holy city.

4. Tarvok

Tarvok Chieftain

Unless, of course, you're deliberately converting your civilization to another religion so you can build their religious buildings, and then converting back to your own. I haven't done this systematically yet, but a strategy I am considering for a future game is, once I have a city that follows a foreign religion, generate a Great Prophet and just save him for later. Then start buying missionaries and religious buildings of their type (one after another, to keep the faith bonuses rolling and speed up the process). Once this process is done, prophetbomb the cities immediately surrounding the Holy City, and start producing Inquisitors like mad.

Probably only worth it on a Marathon game.

5. crazymarco

crazymarco Chieftain

Oh yes! Thanks for the clarification.

But how about the second part? Can I get the founder belief if I conquer other civ? I can't check the beliefs for a destroyed civ in the religion screen.

6. Biologist

Biologist Researcher

I don't think it's ever possible to gain the founder belief of a religion other than the one you founded.

7. Sidor1982

Sidor1982 Warlord

An AI will always found the religion in their capitol. So there are only 2 ways to raze a holy city. 1 is to go for an OCC, then the conquered cities, even capitols, get instantly razed. 2 is to conquer their original capitol before they found the religion. Then the religion will be in their substitute capitol, which can later be razed.

8. compwiz1202

compwiz1202 King

Before Industrial, any GP you generate will be your religion. Once you get to Industrial, you can only get GP with faith, and you can only buy GPropets, missionaries and inquisitors with faith in cities with your religion, so if all your cities are converted in the Industrial Era or later, and you don't have any GProphets or missionaries somewhere, your religion is gone. Now I can't remember if you can still buy other Great People with faith in your cities with a foreign religion. I know you can buy units or bulldings with faith corresponding to the foreign religion's beliefs in cities converted to that religion, but not your own anymore.

EDIT: After reading this thread more closely, it isn't techically gone since your holy city will still exert internal pressure, but usually with your other cities as a foreign religion, it won't be enough to revive your religion. If you do get lucky and regain the religion in the holy city, make sure you have enough faith for an inquisitor and buy it in the holy city ASAP to prevent further conversion. Or better yet, get an inquisitor in the holy city as soon as you enhance your religion.

9. Browd

Browd Dilettante Administrator

To buy Great Persons you just need a religion (any religion) in the city in which you buy the GP.

10. Cicerosaurus

Cicerosaurus Emperor

What about if you complete the Liberty Branch after you reach Industrial? Can you not select a GP as your free Great Person?

11. dashwinner

dashwinner Prince

An interesting side note. An AI can lose it's capital and have his holy city lose its status, it will always continue to try and spread its original religion