wireless internet and routers

AL_DA_GREAT

amour absinthe révolution
I have atlast ditched my old isp and their terrible service. Instead I have now gotten wireless internet over the 3g phone network. My modem which connects through an usb cord can't easily be connected to my router (dlink dir 635) since it will only connect through a network cable. since I don't want to pay $600 for the isp's router I want to find a way to connect through my old router.

Right, so you have a USB modem which obtains an internet connection wirelessly through the 3G network, and you want to connect it to your router, to share wirelessly with the other computers in your house?

If it doesn't have an RJ-45 (network) out, then I can't think of any way this is possible. Possibly the computer it's plugged in to can share the internet connection, but I know this is far from convenient, especially if you have a laptop and don't want to restrict yourself.

You could, however, fork out for a Wireless USB hub, and dongles for each computer: Belkin Wireless USB Hub. Unfortunately it's about $200, although that's a third the price of the ISPs router...

EDIT:
If you have a spare computer, what about plugging the modem into it, and the computer into the router. Then it could just sit there as a gateway. Doesn't have to be a good computer, an old one would do.

If you have a spare computer, what about plugging the modem into it, and the computer into the router. Then it could just sit there as a gateway. Doesn't have to be a good computer, an old one would do.

probably the best advice, if you don't have one surely someone you know has an old dust collector you can have.

Wait, if we're talking about routers, then you really do not need the ISP's 600$ router. You could just buy any 100$ one and be done with it. But if we're talking about modems, thats an entirely different beast.

So which is it?

Really your ideal option is to search for a router with the wireless modem built in that's compatible with your ISP. They're not cheap (couple hundred bucks) but shouldn't be $600.

The other alternative is to use Internet Connection Sharing to share the connection across your current network.

Speedo said:
Really your ideal option is to search for a router with the wireless modem built in that's compatible with your ISP. They're not cheap (couple hundred bucks) but shouldn't be $600.

The other alternative is to use Internet Connection Sharing to share the connection across your current network.

Wait, if we're talking about routers, then you really do not need the ISP's 600$ router. You could just buy any 100$ one and be done with it. But if we're talking about modems, thats an entirely different beast.

So which is it?

Good question, it's nice to be clear on things, but I think it's certainly a $600 modem/router he means. You see, this is a special modem, connecting to the 3G network. You probably won't find this anywhere else, in any other routers - the only kind of modems routers are built in are the standard adsl, etc. So I'd imagine the $600 upgrade would get you a wireless router with the 3G modem built in. If it gets you anything else, then it isn't worth even thinking about.

However, he can stick with his current one for a much cheaper price, possibly for free if he has a "dust-collector"...

You see, this is a special modem, connecting to the 3G network. You probably won't find this anywhere else, in any other routers - the only kind of modems routers are built in are the standard adsl, etc.

No, you'll find router/modem combos that support 3G and other wireless ISPs.

So which is it?

I have a wireless internet which I get through a modem that my isp supplied me with for free. I want to hook up this internet connection with a router. Since the modem only has an usb cable I can't hook the modem to my current router. The ISP says the only way is to buy their $600 router. I am looking for a more creative way where I can use my old one.

Top Bottom