1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

With all the new technology why can't they...

Discussion in 'Civ1 - General Discussions' started by stwils, Jun 10, 2010.

1. stwils

stwils Emperor

Make a patch so Civ I will run on all the new computers?

OR make the new computers able to play our favorite games?

Computers are able to do so much more now than they could 10 years ago. Why would this be so impossible for technical wizard's to fix either the game (Civ I) or the new computers so we could have our beloved games back?

I look at the ads for all the games out there now and I shudder at seeing most of them.

Civ I is a beautiful, abstract in design, deep but graphically simple game.

Why has it been left behind while graphically complex and inferior games flourish?

Stwils

2. GoldBerg

GoldBerg CivDosPlayer of '91

Sooner or later we will play the original CivDos (or else) on something like an iPhone with a type of dosbox app for that. ;)

We all play it already via dosbox in winxp or linux or else, at least it will work like that in future, too.
    It's at least easier to do it that way as to re-write the program-code for newer pc- or app-systems - with all the problems around, like re-inventing the wheel: the catchy graphics, for example...

I fear we will never see the day the program will be declared to some kind of public domain or freeware and the code too, so it's the only way.

3. Walt

Walt Chieftain

If you haven't tried DOSbox (from Sourceforge), please do. It's freeware, opensource, and it works great for me! I had stopped playing CIV I for years because it was so SLOW in a Windows cmd prompt window. DOSbox has solved all that and I'm back on line!

4. jpciv

jpciv Warlord

Here's a quick and easy way to get the excellent dosbox program, right from the source
    http://www.dosbox.com/

5. LordOfTheGeeks

LordOfTheGeeks Chieftain

Hmm... I have Windows Vista, and installed it from the disk without needing DOSbox or the command pronpt. I suppose there are multiple versions with different compatablities...?

6. Diviner

Diviner Prince

I would assume so. Nevertheless, the CivDOS version - which I own - needs the Dosbox to run even on XP. I could play civ directly though, but then there are two configurations:
    1. the game will be very slow
    2. the game will be fast, but have those horrible sound effects that wakes my whole neighborhood from their good night sleep :D
    Both are bad :)

7. Whelkman

Whelkman Phantom Taxman

You'd be correct, except it's Vista that has multiple versions. 32 bit still has the 16 bit subsystem, but 64 bit lacks the support, along with all 64 bit Windows editions. Most people stick with CivDOS and DOSBox combo even with 32 bit Windows as it provides a superior experience. Note that both DOS and Windows Civilizations versions (and Colonization) depend on 16 bit subsystems to operate.