With NBW coming out, looking to upgrade (up to $3-4K)

damnyankees

Warlord
I've cross-posted this in the Computer Talk forum, but that forum seems much less lively and I'm not sure which forum this is more appropriate for. Mods, if this is inappropriate, please feel free to delete.

I've been desktop-less for about 10 years now, and I'm looking to get back in the game. Short story is that I'm getting a new job which actually gives me a work laptop, so I no longer need my personal computer to be a laptop, freeing me up to spend the money on a desktop (I was due to upgrade anyway).

Anyways, I'm not super-techie, so I'm not really qualified to build my own machine, but I do love love love PC gaming, and I'm a little sick of playing games on my laptop (which is good, but can't compare to a good gaming PC). I don't want the hassle of having to build my own PC either, so I hate buying party by part and assembling, so I'd like to just buy the comp already made.

Can I get some advice on what I should get? I'm most excited to be able to play BNW without it always crashing and going really slow, and I'm willing to shell out between $3,000 and $4,000 if its really worth it, so I'd obviously like the computer to last a while. I just feel dumb going on random PC-building websites and playing with the customization options without really knowing what I'm doing.

If there's already a thread on this type thing, please direct me there; I didn't see one.

You don't need something even close to that amount of money. A gaming rig near $1000 tops would run this game and many others flawlessly.

I bought an Asus a few years ago and it runs this game great. I bought it for around $800 and that was right before the game came out. I would imagine for the same price today you can get something way better.

You don't need something even close to that amount of money. A gaming rig near $1000 tops would run this game and many others flawlessly.

I bought an Asus a few years ago and it runs this game great. I bought it for around $800 and that was right before the game came out. I would imagine for the same price today you can get something way better.

Is that true? I have a really high quality laptop (though not one built for gaming), and I can still barely play Civ V on anything other than the lowest settings; I play 80% of the time in strategic view because otherwise the game absolutely crawls. I want to make sure I don't make the mistake of undershooting the desktop specs and being frustrated that I still can't play all the games I want. I really want to make sure that I can basically max out any graphics settings on any game I want for the next few years and still be able to play completely seamlessly. Maybe I'm overestimating how much that costs, but I really don't have anything to compare it to other than my laptop, which costs north of $2K and still can't play much of anything. Nothing would be more frustrating than buying a desktop specifically for gaming and still not being able play it as I want (I'm been dreaming of a new gaming rig for, like, 2 years, so that would be disappointing).

Laptops have different economics, you can't compare them to desktops in terms of performance for the price.

Your BEST bet is to have a friend build you one, if you know someone capable of doing a good job. If you go that route $1000 will get you near top of line components. (Not including monitor)

Otherwise just go with a decent brand and look at $1500 price point desktops. Anything with a separate graphics card will handle Civ with no problems and if you go integrated the Intel HD4000+ are capable as well. Not sure on the AMD.

Laptops have different economics, you can't compare them to desktops in terms of performance for the price.

Your BEST bet is to have a friend build you one, if you know someone capable of doing a good job. If you go that route $1000 will get you near top of line components. (Not including monitor)

Otherwise just go with a decent brand and look at $1500 price point desktops. Anything with a separate graphics card will handle Civ with no problems and if you go integrated the Intel HD4000+ are capable as well. Not sure on the AMD.

Thanks. Unfortunately, I don't really have any friends who could do this for me right now.

Maybe I'm stupid, but don't all desktop have a separate graphics card? I thought the core of a desktop was motherboard, processor, hard drive and video card?

You're mostly correct, but all processors have a integrated graphics card in them, its just that integrated graphics card is very crappy.

Goldkoron explained it, but I've since re-read your posts more carefully and what I recommended will not let you 'run all games with max graphics for 2 years'. It will run anything at regular setting and most at high but the tip top of the line is a whole other level. From where you are coming from though I think a good 'second tier' based machine will blow you away. I personally always buy the second best processors and video cards because the overall value is so high compared to whatever is 'best'.

Goldkoron explained it, but I've since re-read your posts more carefully and what I recommended will not let you 'run all games with max graphics for 2 years'. It will run anything at regular setting and most at high but the tip top of the line is a whole other level. From where you are coming from though I think a good 'second tier' based machine will blow you away. I personally always but the second best processors and video cards because the overall value is so high compared to whatever is 'best'.

Is it a general rule that what I buy will be upgradeable? Like, if I buy a second tier one, like you recommend, and then in a year I want a little more, will I generally be able to just upgrade a video card or processor and plug in a new, better version with all the other parts staying the same? Or will I need to buy a whole new system, and is that something I need to be on the lookout for now? Seems like that's one of the benefits of a desktop, right?

Is that true? I have a really high quality laptop (though not one built for gaming), and I can still barely play Civ V on anything other than the lowest settings; I play 80% of the time in strategic view because otherwise the game absolutely crawls. I want to make sure I don't make the mistake of undershooting the desktop specs and being frustrated that I still can't play all the games I want. I really want to make sure that I can basically max out any graphics settings on any game I want for the next few years and still be able to play completely seamlessly. Maybe I'm overestimating how much that costs, but I really don't have anything to compare it to other than my laptop, which costs north of $2K and still can't play much of anything. Nothing would be more frustrating than buying a desktop specifically for gaming and still not being able play it as I want (I'm been dreaming of a new gaming rig for, like, 2 years, so that would be disappointing).

Just saying : if your laptop is really good and expensive and all, it might be that it runs with the NVidia Optimus technology : it means that the laptop has an integrated graphic chipset and a true graphic card, and that you can switch between those two devices. For example, when you're just browsing the internet, the integrated graphic chipset is enough and lets you spare battery time. But when you're playing, you want to switch to the graphic card.

I tell you that, because if myself can play with acceptable graphic settings on a three years old laptop which costed around 1K when bought. It lags on late game, but otherwise no problem.

However, each time I install a game, I must manually go in the graphic settings and add the game as an exception to be run with the graphic card and not with integrated graphics.

So, perhaps you're just underusing your computer. :)

Just saying : if your laptop is really good and expensive and all, it might be that it runs with the NVidia Optimus technology : it means that the laptop has an integrated graphic chipset and a true graphic card, and that you can switch between those two devices. For example, when you're just browsing the internet, the integrated graphic chipset is enough and lets you spare battery time. But when you're playing, you want to switch to the graphic card.

I tell you that, because if myself can play with acceptable graphic settings on a three years old laptop which costed around 1K when bought. It lags on late game, but otherwise no problem.

However, each time I install a game, I must manually go in the graphic settings and add the game as an exception to be run with the graphic card and not with integrated graphics.

So, perhaps you're just underusing your computer. :)

How do I check if this is happening? I'm happy to suffer the shame of being a massive idiot if I can fix it.

First, you obviously need to have an NVidia graphic card.

If that's true, then you can access your graphic card control panel in the task bar, bottom-right in the desktop. Something like "NVidia control panel".

Then, I don't remember exactly the process, and I'm not using this computer, so I don't remember exactly, but... You should find an "Nvidia optimus" tab. In this tab, click "add an exception", and search for Civ V's executable. Normally in : steam\steamapps\common\sid meier's civilization V. Add both DX11 and DX9 executables as exceptions.

I don't think I've been very clear, you should check Optimus handbook online if you didn't understand. Or post screenshots and I'll try to help you if I can. :)

Finally, it's possible that ATI cards also have some sort of device-switcher.

Because of power usage and heat, many laptops will go a little light on the processing power in favor of battery life. Like someone else said in this thread, different economics.

Since you have such a high budget, there is also the Mac that you can consider. Civ V does have a native Mac version as well.

I personally use a 15" MacBook Pro with Retina Display.

There are also iMacs and Mac Pros.

Since you have such a high budget, there is also the Mac that you can consider. Civ V does have a native Mac version as well.

That is my exact computer. I play it in boot camp and Civ V crashes all the time and can't really play at anything above the higher settings.

Mine is the high-end standard version (early 2013) with 16GB RAM.

Unfortunately, you cannot upgrade the RAM on a MacBook Pro with Retina Display (which is why it is important to buy the one with the highest possible RAM, as the RAM is physically soldered together). The maximum is 16GB RAM (and I know this very well, hence my computer having 16GB RAM).

It is also recommended to play the native Mac version of Civ V on a Mac.

Mine is the high-end standard version (early 2013) with 16GB RAM.

Unfortunately, you cannot upgrade the RAM on a MacBook Pro with Retina Display (which is why it is important to buy the one with the highest possible RAM, as the RAM is physically soldered together). The maximum is 16GB RAM (and I know this very well, hence my computer having 16GB RAM).

It is also recommended to play the native Mac version of Civ V on a Mac.

I have 16 GB ram as well. Doesn't seem to do much.

I only play on bootcamp since I love to play with mods, and you can't use mods on the mac version. How is your performance on OS X? Do you play with something above the lowest settings?

There are also iMacs and Mac Pros.
When a guy asks for a gaming PC, you don't recommend a mac silly.:lol:

$4000 is a lot to spend on a PC. You can easily get a good run to run recent games at high settings for $1000 or even $700

Top Bottom