Withdrawal mechanics

loffenx

Warlord
Anyone know the exacts functions of the withdrawal mechanic, flanking promotions etc.? Only thing I knwo is that the upgrades does not add a flat % bonus to any combat regardless of power etc., but not much more than that. I've been browsing the vanilla strategy forums for a while, but no luck.

Any help appreciated :)

Basically, when you get in combat, you have a chance of victory. The easiest way to show this is via example.

Lets say you have 2 horsemen, no promotions. They have a base 25% chance to withdraw from combat. As they both have a 50% chance to win (exact same unit), they have a 25% chance to withdraw if they loose. That means that it will show 50% chance of victory, 12.5% chance to withdraw. This shows how it is only possible for him to withdraw if he looses. Now, if the horseman took a flanking promotion, he would have a 50% chance to win, but a 22.5% chance to withdraw because he has a base 45% chance to withdraw. This shows that his 45% chance to withdraw comes only if he looses a round of combat. It also means that he has a 72.5% chance to survive the combat.

The only other things to note is (with the exception of loki - damn that vile puppet) no unit can get a 100% chance to withdraw from combat. Everyone else is capped at 90% chance. Lastly, withdraw chance, just like strength, is additive, which means that if you have a base 25% chance to withdraw and take flanking 1, which grants a 20% withdraw chance, he would then have a 45% chance to withdraw.

-Colin

as i see it when there is a combat chance, the is a chance to win
lets say it is 90%

your unit has a withdrawal chance of lets say 50%

then the chance to withdraw is 50% of the chance to loose (here 10%)

-> 5%

Please correct me if i am wrong

I remember some devious upgrade plan that got a 95% WITHDRAWL!!!!!! that's untouchable

Actually, its capped at 90%. Even if you get a higher withdraw chance than that, it is capped at 90%. An excelent example of this is magnadine. He starts out with a base 50% withdraw chance, +10% from horselord. Getting 20% from flanking 1 and another 20% from flanking 2 would theoretically bring it up to 100%. However, he only gets a 90% withdraw chance.

-Colin

damn, then they fixed it, I believe it involved stacking Flankings (+Tactics maybe?) and upgrading to horse archer

damn, then they fixed it, I believe it involved stacking Flankings (+Tactics maybe?) and upgrading to horse archer

I don't think they fixed it.

You can have withdrawal chance added up to 95% and have it being capped to 90%. Most people will not see the difference.

Top Bottom