Wiz05 - Basic OCC

Ankka

Deity
There hasn't been an OCC ( One City Challenge )SG here for ages now as far as I remember, so I decided to start one. As I'm playing a few really big games, this would be a nice little and light one. :) Edit: Just remembered that Betazed (IIRC) had one a while ago, but anyway...:)

Game stats:

Civ: Russia?
Level: Monarch
World size: Standard
Water: 70%
Landmass: Continents
Civ3 version: Civ III, 1.29f

Players: FULL
Zwingli
Elvis1985
Gengis Khan
Affirmative
Wizard

I think that is a nice order, so we shall use that. :)

Originally posted by mitsho
I am sorry, I perhaps am interesting. but what means OCC?

mfG mitsho

not a sign up.

OCC = One City Challenge?

An OCC fits with the amout of time I have availible for SGs. I would join if the software version is Civ3 1.29...

Here are some suggestions:

1. The "scientific" trait is the most powerful trait for an OCC because of the free tech at each era (all other traits are rather weak with only one city). Select a scientific civ (Germany, Persia, Babylon, Russia, Greece) for an easier game or non-scientific for a more challenging game.

2. With only one city to manage, you can probably set the roster at 20 turns each rather than the standard 10 turns.

3. Monarch difficulty :).

4. It would be best to move the starting settler to the coast to allow the Colossus to be built (a very powerful OCC wonder which almost doubles income). A river also provide a nice income boost, and allows population to grow past 6 for the important wonder races (Great Library and/or Colossus).

Edit- 5. Diplomatic and 20k culture victories would be the easiest to pursue. Space race or Conquest are very difficult but have been accomplished.

argh, when I look at my post above, I must say that I was appearently a bit ' confused' when writing it. :) I apologise for the english above. :)

one city challenge? hmm, I never played one. sure, it would be interesting. But I think, I can't join, Io have too much Sg already going :)

why don't you choose a scientific/expansionistic civ, because expansionistic seems also strong in the context, not?

mfG mitsho

Wiz,

Count me in if you can stand the thought.

Suggest Greeks for science and cash

Version doesn't matter. All else randon IMHO

How can I pass up the chance to be in a SG with Zwingli? The guy who carried me though my first SG & show'd me the ropes.

I'm SO in, monarch is fine with me.

I'm in, as long as its either PTW or 1.29, if I can find the CD. :lol:

Ok, So 1.29f shall it be. :)

And Monarch.

Greece would be ok, but I'm currently playing one game as them and I wouldn't really like to have another one straight away...:undecide:

Also Russia could be a good one, so we could get the max out of goody huts etc. :) What do you think?

Well, if everyone likes these, Zwingli, could you start the game as you are the first in order?

If you have any objactions, say it aloud.

Moscow
As specified, I rolled a 70% standard continents map with average temperature/moisture conditions. I picked roaming barbarians and turned off respawn and cultural linked starts in the options menu. Here is the start position:

4000 BC
Moving the scout south reveals a cow on plains, and we end up moving the settler 3 spaces southwest to get the cow and the coastline. It is a rather long move, but it was well worth it :)

3850 BC
We pop maps from a hut and found Moscow on the coast. Research set to Ceremonial Burial at 0% science. Begin irrigating the cow.

3700 BC
Moscow scout->scout.

3600 BC
We have contact with China as a chinese warrior shows up outside of Moscow. No trades are available.

3550 BC
We get maps from a hut.

3500 BC
We get a settler from a hut :lol:. I am sending it back to Moscow to join the population.

3450 BC
Moscow scout->warrior
We meet India and trade them Bronzeworking and Pottery for Ceremonial Burial + 10g.

3400 BC
We get Masonry from a hut.

3350 BC
25g from a hut

3300 BC
Moscow warrior->warrior
The current warrior fortifies in Moscow for MP and barb protection.

3250 BC
Meet Egypt in the northwest. Trade them BronzeWorking for 10g (not full value, but they were probably researching BW at the time).

3150 BC
Moscow warrior->Colossus!

3100 BC
Join the hut settler to Moscow, bringing the population up to 5. Luxury tax up to 10%.
Masonry + 20g to India for Alphabet.
Alphabet to China for Warrior Code + 10g

We start maximum science on writing, due in 24 turns @-2gpt.

3000 BC
Colossus is due in 26 turns, Writing due in 22.

The next 20 turns will probably be spent building the Colossus and researching Writing. If you work as many forests as possible, the Colossus would be due in 18 turns rather than 26 but with minimal growth. You can also veto the Colossus in favor of a granery or temple, but I think that the wonder is important enough to focus on it.

Regarding technology, I would suggest researching at full speed toward Literature in order to grab the Great Library in addition to the Colossus. The population boost from the settler gives us a very good chance of landing both wonders.
The keys to Moscow

Nice moves. :goodjob: Good settling spot, really was worth it.

:lol: Almost the only situation when I get settlers from a hut is when I'm bored and playing a quick OCC.

Zwingli - Just played
Elvis1985 - You're up!
Gengis Khan - Soon up, get ready
Affirmative - On deck
Wizard

As Elvis seems to be somewhere else, Gengis is now free to take it. Unless Ekvis posts a got it before that, of course.

Originally posted by Elvis1985
maybe the foreign one can be joined back into the city, since growth should be fixed with Colossus and Warrior back.
:nono:
Never join workers from another civ unless the civ is dead.

Here is the city screen in its current state. A total of 12 tiles are next to the river (including the city center) and should be improved first. None of the nearby civs has even started a wonder yet (F7 wonder screen) so landing the Great Library is a certainty if we beeline for Literature. You can probably start prebuilding for the GL via the Pyramids once the time to research Lit gets down to 20 turns. Note that when/if we complete the Great Library we will enter a Golden Age (Colossus is expansionist and the Library is scientific). Many of our tiles (irrigated plains next to a river) will still benifit from the Golden Age even under despotism, so an early GA isn't too bad for us.

Looks good, Elvis! :goodjob:

I think we should play 15 turns from now on, if yo uguys don't mind.

Zwingli
Elvis1985 - Just played
Gengis Khan - You're up!
Affirmative - Soon up
Wizard

Top Bottom