Wizard looks like red ball !

Discussion in 'Fall from Heaven Troubleshooting' started by vsipinen, Apr 7, 2009.

1. vsipinen

vsipinen Warlord

I noticed something strange, when I was playing as amurites and finally managed to upgrade an adept to wizard: instead of some normal looking unit the wizard looks like red ball ! I try to attach some screenshot ...

Why is this happening ? Actually I think that I have seen this couple of times before (with some other unit), but then the ball has disappeared, when I have re-started the game. Now that did not help.

Attached Files:

2. Thunder_Gr

Thunder_Gr Emperor

I think this was fixed in FFH040y. You must be running on an older patch...

3. vsipinen

vsipinen Warlord

Perhaps I have older version. Although I downloaded the mod only couple of months ago. When was this problem fixed ?

4. Kyroshill

Kyroshill Huh?

For a long time, patches were coming out at least once a week..... and as fixes are stabilizing, they are a little less frequent.... but still.... check the Bug Thread and download the latest patch (Patch Z as of this typing)

5. vsipinen

vsipinen Warlord

I will try that, but should I first finish the current game - as I want to complete that, and I guess patching could prevent loading old save files ?

Anyway I found out that at least some issue concerning the wizard graphics was fixed in the patch 0.40a ("12. Fixed the Wizard graphics.").

6. Thunder_Gr

Thunder_Gr Emperor

Playing with older patches, means playing with more bugs(usually). So, if you must finish the ongoing game, do so, but be prepared for whatever abnormalities may arise.

7. Wolpertinger

Wolpertinger Chieftain

It's not just an older patch thing - I just reinstalled civ4 and FFH2 fresh today due to some crashing problems I was having, and both before and after the reinstall (both of which were .41s, freshly downloaded) Decius in "The Fall of Cuantine" is /always/ a red blob - no matter how many times I remake the map. :
    http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/7291/decius.jpg

anyone know how I might fix it? It's sort of irritating.

8. thadian

thadian Kami of Awakened Dreamers

hi im playing the new version patched up and everything.

every version ive played makes the wizard look like a big red ball.

griffon - bear

all lizardmen - warrior

all flavors of axeman - warrior

tiger - wolf'

im sure theres some i havent found.

all demon/hyborem units - axemen/warriors

all angels/basium units - axemen/warriors

4 horsemen - shift between themselves and standard looking horsemen

9. Emptiness

Emptiness []

This happens whenever you turn on the "Frozen Animations" graphics option. Turning it off should allow them to appear correctly.

10. NiknudStunod

NiknudStunod Chieftain

I am getting the red blob for gargoyles as well as a few other units. I recently reinstalled both civ 4 and beyond the sword. I am also up to date on the mod and patch. It seems to effect chariots and all its replacement units as well.

On another note if I just load up ffh2 without the mods the units show up so this is a problem with orbis as well as fall further.

11. Emptiness

Emptiness []

Problem: One or more of your units in a game have their normal graphics replaced by a red ball. Sometimes the ball may be of another color (I've seen black), but red is the most common color. It is also possible that part of the unit will be a colored ball while the rest of the unit appears normally: for example, a unit with normal head, arms and torso but which has a red ball where its legs are normally located.

Troubleshooting steps: Save your game, and exit to the main menu. Create a new game, playing as the same civ you were playing in the game with the problem unit. Start the game and then enter worldbuilder. Find the unit that was having the problem in the units list, click it, and then click on the map to cause that unit to appear. You will note one of two things:

either: The unit looks the same as in the problem game.
    Spoiler :
    In this case there is a problem with the unit graphic in the mod. Report the problem as a bug.

Resolution: Wait for a patch that corrects the graphic for the problem unit.

or: The unit looks normal.
    Spoiler :
    In this case there is no problem with the unit graphic in the mod. The unit graphic in your saved game has become corrupted. A common source of this corruption is reloading a saved game while within a game, especially if this process of saving and reloading is repeated often.

Resolution: Once a saved game is corrupted in this way it cannot be fixed. You can continue the game if you choose, but the corruption may become worse and can potentially prevent you from being able to finish the game. I recommend just starting a new game.

To avoid this type of game corruption in the future, always exit to the main menu before loading a saved game.

12. NiknudStunod

NiknudStunod Chieftain

I did what you said and the chariots seems to be fixed but the garg is still a red blob. When I play the regular ffh2 it has no problems but with fall further and orbis it is a blob still. I think the problem is the gargoyle is replacing a longbow unit in both fall further and orbis yet in ffh2 it is its own unit.

13. Kael

Kael Deity

You probably want to post in the threads for those mods so the mod makers know that the art definitions have changed.

14. korne

korne Chieftain

I am playing patch 2041g with BtS319, and I find lots of units look like red balls, including the heros Donal Lugh, Gibbon, and Chalid! They appear to be red balls in civilopedia too. I've tried starting a new game and checking with the worldbuilder, but they still look like red balls...

15. Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf Deity

Have you tired deleting the mod and reinstalling it?

16. Emptiness

Emptiness []

Yeah, I'm not aware of any missing unit graphics for 2041g (which is what would cause the red ball if it were a mod problem). It sounds like you have installed the patch but not the mod itself. The mod is a file called FallfromHeaven2041d.exe, the patch is called FfH2041g.exe. Both need to be installed (mod first, then patch) in order for FfH2 to work and be fully updated. I have posted a guide to installing FfH2, including advice for how to recover from a failed installed attempt, which you may find helpful.

17. korne

korne Chieftain

I used to be playing with the patch 2041a, and there was no such bug.
    I remember I first installed the 2041g patch, then the Bts319 patch. Does this mean I have to install the whole mod "Fall from Heaven II (368.54 MB)" for an update to 2041d?

18. Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf Deity

Maybe you should. Certainly won't hurt.

19. korne

korne Chieftain

you're right, it's done. thank u~~:)