Wizards

Civitar

Adventurer
Wizards, three different skins for now, though I may add more later or even more models. All use Scout animations, I will edit the fxsxml and ftsxml at some point to make them throw fireballs. The right hand is a little wonky but shouldn't be noticeable ingame (as I couldn't see anything wrong at low magnification in Nexus).
The current versions are:
  • White Wizard: Labeled "druid", should be used as a Druid or Good Mage (or Gandalf:D).
  • Red Wizard: Labeled "wizard_fire", maybe could be used as a Pyromancer or Neutral Mage.
  • Black Wizard: Labeled "wizard_black", should only be used as a Necromancer or Evil Mage.

Spoiler Nexus Screenshots :

The White Wizard is aimed specifically at Pazyryk's Éa, as I can't stand the barbarian being used as a druid, despite the fact that he probably looks more like a druid than this one:crazyeye:! Just me I guess...

Hey Civitar, any chance we could get an unbearded version? I have a Sorceress unit in one of my mods I was considering using the black-robed version for, but a beard would spoil the "Sorceress" aspect a bit. :p

@bouncymischa: It would wouldn't it?:lol: No worries, I need unbearded ones too and Paz needs female wizards, so there will be some at some point - these were just the first ones I came across that I liked for Druids.

@bouncymischa: It would wouldn't it?:lol: No worries, I need unbearded ones too and Paz needs female wizards, so there will be some at some point - these were just the first ones I came across that I liked for Druids.

All right -- I'll use my reskinned Scouts for now until a suitable female wizard shows up. Although I do want to give these guys a try -- currently I'm using the Scouts with their city bombardment animation for a normal attack as a passable "fireball" attack, so I'm curious whether or not these guys can do it. (It could be that they don't have a city attack animation yet, as I recall that issue occurred with the lamias.)

Also... do you have any plans to at some point do a magic-using unit with witch hats? I was considering making a stereotypical Witch unit for a future civ (that's only on the drawing board at this point), but I know you're already really busy with modding units for Pazyryk and others. I don't want to add anything to an already big workload, so I figured I'd just see whether or not you were going to do one at some point, and plan accordingly. :p

I think I'll grab the black one for our Priest unit. (Tempted to use white/red for normal vs fallen, but I want these to appear the same in-game and black works for both.)

I'd also like to suggest that females not get left out in all these new units. Éa is an equal-opportunity mod ;).

I know pointy hat is cliché, but I think I'm with others on that. At lest for wizard (male) and witch (female). Not so sure about wizard (female) and warlock (male; witch/warlock are just gender names for the same thing in Éa). Perhaps a warlock needs a skullcap. Maybe female wizard needs a hood [Edit: on second thought, maybe no head cover would be better].

In any case, keep them coming. We really appreciate all the new units!

The White Wizard is aimed specifically at Pazyryk's Éa, as I can't stand the barbarian being used as a druid, despite the fact that he probably looks more like a druid than this one:crazyeye:! Just me I guess...
I'm kind of fond of the antler horns now. But I agree we should move away from an enlarged barb graphic.

@bouncymischa: Pointed hats were available for this guy, but I chose the hood because I hoped to make the white druid and pointed hats do not mix with druids. These guys are Scouts for all intents and purposes, they use the same animations and effects so you can make them throw fire the same way your Scouts do. A stereotypical witch is needed for Éa, so I will make one (plus Civ5 needs a Witch anyway:p).
@Pazyryk: Your witch/wizard/warlock/sage/sorcerer/thaumaturge has me completely mixed up now. I will make male and female versions of different magical units that based on my experience playing Éa you need, and you can take your pick from those, OK? If you really like the antlers, perhaps I could do a version of the white wizard with antlers from the sides of his hood?:crazyeye:

@Pazyryk: Your witch/wizard/warlock/sage/sorcerer/thaumaturge has me completely mixed up now. I will make male and female versions of different magical units that based on my experience playing Éa you need, and you can take your pick from those, OK? If you really like the antlers, perhaps I could do a version of the white wizard with antlers from the sides of his hood?:crazyeye:

It has me mixed up sometimes too. Don't want to clutter your thread so look here.

Yeah, witches and wizards with pointy hats would be great :)

I have the pointy-hat wizard taken care of, it is here. This unit is very high polycount, however, so for general spellcaster units I would stick to using Civitar's and reserve this unit for a great person.

Wizards, three different skins for now, though I may add more later or even more models. All use Scout animations, I will edit the fxsxml and ftsxml at some point to make them throw fireballs.

I created the animations for the "Gandalf" great person wizard (referenced above); it uses scout animations for everything except attacks. I copied the city attack formation to represent all attacks in the .fxsxml/.ftsxml and then defined it as a ranged unit in the .xml file. If you like how the effects look with mine feel free to copy them for use with yours.

Oh, and great work on these wizards; they are sorely needed! :goodjob:

I created the animations for the "Gandalf" great person wizard (referenced above); it uses scout animations for everything except attacks. I copied the city attack formation to represent all attacks in the .fxsxml/.ftsxml and then defined it as a ranged unit in the .xml file. If you like how the effects look with mine feel free to copy them for use with yours.

That's great, thanks! I think FramedArchitect did the same thing in Faerun, since I have an autosave with a barbarian necromancer (a reskinned scout) throwing fireballs at my poor Bruenor Battlehammer... it sure looks like ordinary city attacking.
What would really be awesome though would be if we could find out how to make a new effect exactly the same as this just without the torch (so just the fire) and maybe even recolor the fire to have wizards going around throwing red, green, blue, purple, and yellow fire. But that's just me daydreaming:lol:.

What would really be awesome though would be if we could find out how to make a new effect exactly the same as this just without the torch (so just the fire) and maybe even recolor the fire to have wizards going around throwing red, green, blue, purple, and yellow fire. But that's just me daydreaming:lol:.

That would be awesome, haven't checked with the experts yet to see if there is a tutorial on how to accomplish it. Plus, I want to add custom sounds as well - someday....

One thing I've always wondered is if there is any way to give scouts the attack effects from the GDR's railgun instead of the torch-throwing effect, as the railgun is a pretty cool beam-effect...

One thing I've always wondered is if there is any way to give scouts the attack effects from the GDR's railgun instead of the torch-throwing effect, as the railgun is a pretty cool beam-effect...

Yes, I believe it can easily be done by just altering the specific attack codes in the .fxsxml file and assigning them to those codes in the .ftsxml file. You should be able to use any existing Civ V animation or effect with any unit this way. The Gandalf effects use city attack animations for ALL attacks, but I could just as easily replace them with Rocket artillery, Dromon, or GDR railgun effects by manipulating the .ftsxml code. There is a similar discussion in the Gandalf thread here.

Yeah, though I'm betting that the GDR has a rather complicated FSTXML due to the wide variety of mechanical sounds it makes while moving.
bouncymischa, it's quite easy to take any effect (sound or visual) from any unit and assign it to any part of another unit. For example the Dragon has Dromon smoke from his nose and Dromon fire from his mouth, as well as War Elephant stomping noises from his feet and a Panzer dust trail from his tail. You can even do some weird things like give a land unit the animation for a ship's wake so it looks like they're trailing something in the air (or something of the sort).

Yes it is! And it definitely does work, I have just proven it....

So, is there any chance that the wizards from OP will get ranged attack animations soon, or I have to try and do it myself?

Edit: I just noticed that the last post in this thread was over a year ago - this makes me think it won't happen...

...or I have to try and do it myself?
It's pretty easy using this tutorial.

Here's an abbreviated version of Sections I-III:
  • SECTION I: Gathering the Requisite Files
    Make a copy of FX_Triggers_Scout.ftsxml from your unpacked FPK's, rename it something appropriate, and add it to your mod and set it VFS=True.
  • SECTION II: Examining Unit Animations and Triggers
    Change this reference in the .fxsxml to reference your new .ftsxml file:
    Code:
    In the section of the .fxsxml, Civitar already added the 2 staff bones (high and low), the right (non-staff) palm, and the spine (i.e., chest) as referenced bones in the .fxsxml, so you can use any of those as an effect origin point. You might add "Base HumanNeck2" as a bone in the .fxsxml if you want something like eye-beams. There isn't a bone at the very tip of the staff unfortunately, and I don't actually see a bone that's just labelled "Staff" in Granny Viewer even though it's in the .fxsxml, so you would probably go with "bone_STAFF_high" for effects generating from there. Note you can use the same bone as the source point of the attack, as well as for e.g., a glow or a smoking effect while he's just walking around. Maybe you can get Civitar to add a tiny bone at the tip if it doesn't look quite right.
  • SECTION III: Modifying the .fxsxml Event Codes
    Change the attack animations to comment out or delete the regular melee attacks and move the event codes to the quasi-ranged city attack [EDIT: It should use the same animation if you make the unit a "real" ranged unit rather than a melee that appears to deal a short-range magical attack, without you needing to change anything in the .fxsxml]:
    Code:
  • SECTION IV: Modifying the .ftsxml File
    Here's where things get a little confusing, but it's not nearly as bad as it looks at first. Just take a look at the tutorial for how to edit the .ftsxml to reference any effects and sounds you'd like to add. Feel free to lift portions of other fx_triggers*.ftsxml files [not only other units, but improvements and other landmarks can be useful too!]

I'm sure you're capable, but if you find Section IV too much, just PM me what effects you had in mind, and I'll see if I can't rustle up something for you.

Thanks for the explanation, it sounds a bit complicated but I think I can handle it. Yes I want a real ranged attack, and I have no idea what "event codes" are, but I suppose I will learn it in the process. I will report my progress here, if I make any :)

Top Bottom