1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

WMD in Iraq!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by JohnRM, May 17, 2004.

1. Nico92

Nico92 Warlord

What's even more ironical is to hear pro-Bush people saying :

"Ok we didn't do it when it was useful in the 80's, but at least we're doing it now to repair our mistake".

And a bit later, the same guys saying :

"Ronald Reagan was the greatest president ever".

Hey ! People ! Ronald Reagan was Saddam's best pal ! And the thing which is even weirder is that many guys from Reagan's Administration are still here today under Bush Administration !! :eek:

2. eyrei

eyrei Deity Retired Moderator

I think you might want to come to terms with the possibility that there really is something more, because there is a reason we were looking for them in the first place.

3. yoshi74

yoshi74 Tourist from Mars

Of course there was a reason. You knowed Saddam had WMD. You sold it to him.

4. Nico92

Nico92 Warlord

Eyrei, are you serious ?
    Do you really think Washington is desesperate enough to run after Chemical shells used in the 80's to give a legitimacy to its attack ? :eek: :(

5. crystal

crystal Scrooge

Do you seriously think those possible weapons were a threat to your homeland?

Do you seriously think they were a threat... for anything? :rolleyes:

I would argue that conventional weapons like AK-74 have killed numerously more people than any Saddam's WMD's.

6. nihilistic

nihilistic Intergalatic Delivery Boy

Maybe, but it does not matter how large a cache the Bush administration manages to "find", it won't change the fact that we had gone into the war with false pretenses. Powell's presentation tothe UN and various speeches by top administration officials essentially claimed not only did Saddam have very large amounts of these weapons, but that we know exactly where they were. If Bush were to salvage whatever credibility he has left, it better be a riduculously large cache that we find before November.

7. Nico92

Nico92 Warlord

Well, I wouldn't say so. Saddam's WMD's have killed a lot of people in the 80's. However, it was in the 80's that Saddam's WMD's were harmful, at a time when he was really looking for nukes.

Since the 80's, there had been the Gulf War, a strong embargo banning everything, the loss of control of Kurdistan, inspections from the UN, and the loss of the Air space. Tell me how Saddam could secretly build his revenge in such conditions ???!!?!

8. The Last Conformist

The Last Conformist Irresistibly Attractive

Chemical weapons can pretty much literally be constructed in a garage. There are a number of reasons to believe Saddam wasn't hoarding CWs in the '90s, but difficulties to hide the programmes aren't among them.

9. crystal

crystal Scrooge

Well, he could not. Which means the invasion was wrong.

10. Nico92

Nico92 Warlord

August 2002 :"WMD's are about biological and nuclear weapons."
    January 2003 : "WMD's are about chemical, biological and nuclear weapons."
    September 2003 : "WMD's are about chemical weapons"
    May 2004 : "WMD's are about Sarin and Mustard gas"
    October 2004 : "WMD's are about kalachnikovs"

11. amadeus

amadeus Civ2 / Law and Order!

Please spell my name correctly. I really fail to see what you're being a jackass and my grammar have to do with the point I was making. Honestly. :rolleyes:

12. The Last Conformist

Someone please explain to me how the sanctions, aerial surveillance and lose of control of Kurdistan could have prevented Saddam from making CWs?

13. the mormegil

the mormegil Emperor

It would have hindered but not totally prevented.

14. Nico92

Nico92 Warlord

TLC, almost all medicals were banned because of the embargo, the only thing remaining was aspirin in the Hospitals. And I know UN inspectors are useless bureaucrats but they've still been there during 7 years !

Of course, he could still import illegally some bleach but nothing which really threatened US security !

If you want my opinion. There might have chemical weapons in Iraq from 1998 to 2002... but once Saddam invited the inspectors back, he had already sold them if they were still operationnal. Give me simply one good reason why he would have kept such weapons ??

15. Ancient Grudge

Ancient Grudge Its all in this life

Oh dear me two shells, everybody run for the hills.

Chemical weapons left over from a previous programme, oh my what does this remind of.

WMD's found in USA

http://www.guardian.co.uk/usa/story/0,12271,965319,00.html

Please if this is you trying to justify and illegal, frankly your going to have to do alot better.

16. The Last Conformist

Iraqi did have basic chemical industry - they could have manufactured precursors themselves.
    Did I say anything about US security?

Anyway, to threat that, he'd primarily need long distance carriers, not CWs.
    To use them again at some opportune point? Hiding some caches here and there wouldn't have been difficult, and there's no way UN inspectors could have searched everywhere.

And there were large numbers of pieces; quite possibly some simply got forgotten in various ammo depots.

17. Zeekater

Zeekater hasn't been using drugs

Actually, thousands would be a more accurate number, you left quite a bit when you left. :p
    Jk ;)

18. yoshi74

yoshi74 Tourist from Mars

Some are from France and UK. But bad enough anyone used them at all. :(
    But well, keep'em. We don't want em, otherwise we get invaded. I think bush only looks for a smoking gun. ;)

19. The Last Conformist

What happened to the Bomb Hamburg! campaign (reference to Mr Atta's stay), BTW? Is the superpower too tied down in Iraq or what?

:)

20. toh6wy

toh6wy Emperor

I agree with the vast majority of posters in this topic.

Watch me care about a few artillery shells finally found after months of searching for any sort of WMD at all filled with gases from years ago in a basically powerless country thousands of miles away from where I live.

Whoops. I guess you missed it. :rolleyes: