1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

WMD in Iraq!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by JohnRM, May 17, 2004.

1. Sims2789

Sims2789 Fool me once...

And the mustard gas: You can make it at home! That's right, kids! Just do a search on Google and there you go(I'm not kidding. I actually did one. This suggests that the person who set the gas bomb could have made the mustard gas himself.).

Note: No links are posted as I failed to get permission from a mod that I asked(I don't blame him/her). However, I will say that one source of this is from Harvard's website.

2. yoshi

yoshi Emperor

Amazingly, yes.

Just out of curiosity, does the presence of WMDs make invasion legitimate? If so, Uncle Sam has his work cut out for him.

3. aaminion00

aaminion00 Stoned

What are you talking about? Davy Crockett came years before manifest destiny. Unless I'm mistaken.. he might have even been before the Louisiana purchase.

4. Sims2789

Sims2789 Fool me once...

Even if Saddam had WMDs, he wouldn't attack us or use them to aide terrorists. This is because it would not be benificial to him, and as that reporter who interviewed Saddam(Peter Jennings) "Saddam is a survivalist." Thereby a survivalist obviously wouldn't do something that would significatnly lower his chances of survival.

5. The Yankee

The Yankee The New Yawker Retired Moderator

Dan Rather.

But I wonder how the heck Hussein was supposed to attack us with WMD. That crop duster story failed to mention exactly those things would get to America, or the fact that anthrax (which was one of the big items they kept naming) is almost ineffective once exposed to sunlight. Nor have they mentioned the fact that maybe someone would take down those dusters after a while. Sure sounded like it could have taken us all out.

6. Sims2789

Sims2789 Fool me once...

Even if Saddam succeeded in nuking us(pretend he somehow built an ICBM) we would still kick his a** and he wouldn't survive. He isn't stupid, and he knows this, so he wouldn't nuke us.

7. yoshi

yoshi Emperor

Yes. You're right. The fact is that he is a human being and goes through what we all go through--he's not actually the conniving crackpot US propaganda has made him out to be in the past (or to put it more accurately, he's only as cracked as most people in western far-right-wing politics would be were they to be in his shoes ;) ).

But my comment was actually of a legal nature (and slightly rhetorical as well). Since some people are talking about these weapons as though they could justfiy this war using that reason alone if found in enough numbers, I figured I would put it into a realpolitik context: is it possible to attack a country for that reason alone?

8. Sims2789

Sims2789 Fool me once...

No, it is not reasonable to attack a country on that reason alone. I would support having investigators there permenently if I decided that Saddam could make so-called WMDs and use them against us.

9. stormbind

stormbind Retenta personam!

With all this debate over quantity and source, I'm surprised nobody has pointed out that neither mustard gas or sarin constitute WMD - afaik.

10. microbe

microbe Cascaded Mansion

So after one year's hard looking USA finally finds it?

OMG. Stop kidding yourself.

Why some people keep living in their dreams?

11. SuperBeaverInc.

SuperBeaverInc. Groucho

Hey everyone, lets celebrate! They found one old shell that was probably left over from the Iran-Iraq war and hadn't exploded! [dance]

12. MrSparkle

MrSparkle Warlord

Now if the U.S. stopped trying to get the high moral ground and just said; 'We want some oil, what are YOU going to do about it??' things would be alot more simpler.

13. yoshi

yoshi Emperor

Because it's easier than thinking rationally.

That's because they do. ALL chemical weapons that cause death are considered WMDs--in large quantities (like in SCUDs and many artillery shells), they result in massive casualties. It's just that Bios are astronomically dangerous because they can mutate and get out of control so that they even threaten those who use them and A/H-bombs for obvious reasons. Pretty much anything that causes massive losses AND that does not distiinguish between civilians and military personnel AND that over-kills military personnel (note that 'distinguishing' and 'over-kill' refer to mass-slaughter, not a conventional munition gone astray. The only reason why Neutron-bombs have not been added AKAIK is because they are still in the experimental stages.

Hell, even the gases that eminate from the butts of group of overweight rednecks after consuming mass-quantities of fast-food are enough to kill most civilian and military personnel and farm animal within a 800-yard radius--they should be called, PG-PIGFs - Poison Gas-Producing Irregular Ground Forces (nicknamed, 'PIGs')...and they are free to roam around freely without undergoing inspections of any kind to top it all off!