1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Woah! Better Know Your Enemy. (Brazil Surprise)

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Helmling, Apr 23, 2017.

1. Helmling

Helmling Philosopher King

So I'm rolling along in a pretty easy game. Two civs got knocked out early (barbs, maybe?), leaving the remaining three of us plenty of room to expand. So it's been a peaceful game until Brazil up and declares war on me out of the blue.

I'm like: Fine, moron, I just built Venetian Arsenal. Allow me to Frigate spam you back into the Stone Age.

And then I see that Minas Gereas thing floating around. WHAT!?! He's got a better-than-battleship unit just for reaching Nationalism!?! And they're a culture-heavy civ, too!

Why am I not playing as this guy?

KumaChan likes this.
  2. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

Their UU is tough, even when I have battleships, it takes 2 of my battleships to take one of his down.

KumaChan and Photi like this.
  3. Helmling

Helmling Philosopher King

Yeah, fortunately, the AI is stupid. He's got all of them swimming around on the southern coast, but the city he wanted is on the north. I was able to wipe out his attack force with my frigates--though he blasted the crap out of a few of my units that were too near the shore. Now I'm waiting for steel so I can rope together two flotillas of battleships and go sink his navy.

4. Tech Osen

Tech Osen Emperor

I think there is a Great Admiral that let's you build one battleship, he might have gotten that one. Yup, Franz von Hipper.

5. isau

isau Deity

Brazil is a severely underrated civ IMO. That battleship UU is probably the strongest UU in the game, held back only because it's a naval unit. The AI isn't great with it, but in a competent player's hands it's terrifying.

KumaChan likes this.
  6. DudewiththeFood

DudewiththeFood King

He just gives a Battleship to Brazil too, not a Minas Gereas. Either that or my recent game as Brazil was bugged.

7. unpossible251

unpossible251 Warlord

whats the difficulty? once i saw Gilgamesh with a complete airport and even space station, even though on the tech slider he was barely at industrial. not complaining, but the AI gets "gimme's"

8. Infixo

Infixo Deity

Minas Gereas was at the time of construction arguably one of the most powerful dreadnought in existence. But it was only used around South America and quickly other dreadnoughts overpassed it. And the game got it right to enable it at Nationalism - suits history very well.
    What game got wrong is a total disconnection between tech and civic trees that leads to many absurdities. Also, there's a huge gap in-between frigates and battleships. As a result you fight Minas with frigates which never ends good.

9. masda_gib

masda_gib Warlord

Yeah, playing as the Brazilians it was all carnivals, being cultural and having fun until nationalism.
    With the Minas Gereas I could not NOT declare war on annoying civs and shoot everything into pieces. Those things are incredible.
    I noticed one side effect: Since it onlocks with a civic you can get it without having any sea-faring-techs. So I had my Minas Gereasses not being able to go into deep waters at first. :) Those where the most powerful quadriemes ever.

dac050 and 4N4C0ND4 like this.
  10. gfeier

gfeier King

I just wish they had better ship icons. The battleship icon is a WWII US design which would make short work of the Minas Gereas. They should have worked one up for something like HMS Majestic from the 1890s. The missile cruiser is no winner either. Something like the Russian Slava class would be more appropriate.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
  11. Jimdigriz

Jimdigriz Prince

Yeah I took Brazil out before they got to build that unit in my current game! They'd been asking for it for years though.