"Wokeist" - When people talk about progressivism without acquaintance

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Angst, May 5, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fippy

Fippy Mycro Junkie Queen

I knew it before looking inside..this thread will again turn into a trans people debate ;)

2. El_Machinae

El_Machinae Colour vision since 2018 Retired Moderator

"Cis" vs "Trans" is a very common identifier. You'll run into them as descriptors throughout your lift. Now, granted, I don't think I heard the word 'cis sexual' when we were using the term 'trans sexual'. But identifying things as 'cis' once you start using the word 'trans' will be kinda an automatic thing.

A variant question on the use of the word 'normal'. When did blue eyed people become 'normal'?

3. Hygro

Hygro soundcloud.com/hygro/

I thought the direct example before the edit was pretty good.

If we can use words with their nuance, but they abuse words through their nuance, is the solution not simple to beat them with a stick and be done with it?
    Sure, where do you draw the line in a gradient? But the gradient, with its nonlinear curve, has a lot of people who are, for a lack of a better word, more or less neurotypical, or dare I say, normal.

GenMarshall likes this.
  4. EnglishEdward

EnglishEdward Deity

Now that makes me think of "Norma"n Bates.

João III likes this.
  5. GenMarshall

GenMarshall Highborne Night Elven Ghost Agent

New Suramar City, Vekta, United Terran Systems
    I had my betting chips on the thread turning into “white straight man bad” debate…..and the thread merged into the Dumpster Fire thread a half an hour later.

:crazyeye:

João III likes this.
  6. Narz

Narz keeping it real

I just don't find 'normal' or 'typical' a very informative word when it comes to describing a person. A normal person is one you just don't know very well yet.

Also why must one draw a line? Is there a reason to do so?

Birdjaguar and Hygro like this.
  7. Hygro

Blue eyed is obviously not normal here in Nicaragua. It seemed, possibly falsely, normal in California in my youth, though no more. It’s pretty normal in a few Northern European countries.

I guess implicitly I am using some hybrid form of common and expected default ideal type trait selection of a random person.

In a distributitive term, who is with 1, maybe 2 standard deviations from the mean?

El_Machinae likes this.
  8. bernie14

bernie14 Filter Manipulator

anthropological? how did the term "woke" arise in the current vernacular? how did the laws change in 1968? through revolution or through compromise? redefining the conflict in "historical" terms does not define the current conflict, it only generalizes it.

so the "woke" liberals are just a bunch of hypocrites, is that why they are mock worthy?

I see no reason to qualify "abnormal" as a derogatory label.

GenMarshall and João III like this.
  9. EnglishEdward

EnglishEdward Deity

The only time I came across them when I was a lad was when I was studying Latin (mostly forgotten now) and Roman history.

Most memorably in the context of Julius Caesar and cisalpine Gaul and transalpine Gaul.

And "trans" was more common in the concept of "transistor" or "transit" station.

10. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Hanafubuki Super Moderator Supporter

Cis and trans first came into my vocabulary in 8th grade Ancient History: Cisalpine Gaulia and Transalpine Gaulia. This side of the alps and the far side of the Alps.

11. EnglishEdward

EnglishEdward Deity

Yes, as considered from the geographical perspective of Rome.

Birdjaguar likes this.
  12. Hygro

Bringing us back to Farm Boy’s freezer example.

I pretty much only use normal in specific and relative contexts. Lots of people I know I will call normal. The same people I will call not normal.

It’s funny to me, and perhaps this is where Strife and I overlap, we both seek to be “normal” on some level, one of us more declarative and the other through being declared as such without asking. I.e. of an iterative process of personality adjustment while trying to see which normalities worth conforming to (i.e. don’t not pick your battles) and learn them/conform. In this sense there’s and underpinning value that assimilation/social connectivity is good, and normalcy is in assimilating. Seems like a shorthand for normal is good. But only with the caveat that examining normal leads to a lot of good, an already solved metagame, to borrow an esports usage, but knowing at any time you or some noble weirdo might have a better way.

Obviously on the bookends the real realization is, once you are pretty well integrated in society and well adjusted in your personhood, to hold your position or explore for others rather than collapse into some self referencing resonance of “we are both good and normal because we changed our behavior to mimic the others changing their behavior to mimic us”.

There is of course, no “answer” to this.

Birdjaguar likes this.
  13. Farm Boy

Farm Boy syntax error

The teacher is going to make some argument with a line regarding the students she would like ejected and prevented from reentering her learning bubble. As an example.

EnglishEdward likes this.
  14. João III

João III King

Another example is what in English is called the West Bank, otherwise known as "Cisjordan"

Birdjaguar and EnglishEdward like this.
  15. EnglishEdward

EnglishEdward Deity

Yup, I likely heard that when I was young too, but I experienced temporally related grey fat memory entropy.

João III, GenMarshall and Birdjaguar like this.
  16. Narz

Narz keeping it real

Normal is every shifting, trying to adapt to it is futile. Trying to be different for its own sake is silly as well & reactivity never a good look.

I try to appear normal enough to get left alone & improve upon social convention when its effective. Just like everyone else probably

17. Hygro

There’s a lot of things that “normal people” do that I didn’t, or even actively thought was lame, that later I discovered was legit. I think many mainstream things are worth examining with charity to their value.

18. El_Machinae

El_Machinae Colour vision since 2018 Retired Moderator

So, knowing how the prefix is used, it seems somewhat obvious that 'cisgender' would exist once 'transgender' does, as words. Transgender itself is a somewhat new word, since we've been fighting to distinguish 'gender' from 'sex' for awhile (in the public forum). But, in anatomy, we've been separating the concepts for quite awhile. And, obviously, both chemistry and genetics have used 'cis-' and 'trans-' since the time where complex calculations were done on chalk-boards.

Last edited: May 16, 2022
    Evie and Hygro like this.
  19. NovaKart

NovaKart شێری گەورە

I came across the term collgender which meant that one’s genders were too numerous to describe. This was promoted in an article I saw on the subject as a better alternative to pangender, which could cause someone to perhaps unintentionally culturally appropriate genders specific to autistic people or certain cultures.

It made me wonder about the meaning of the prefix coll.

20. Evie

Evie Pronounced like Eevee

They can find their own terms, but not a term that amount othering and excluding minorities, to saying one thing is how it's supposed to be and others are aberrations.

So, not "normal", which does precisely that. That it was the term used in the past is immaterial, the past as a place is generally full of horrible ways to phrase things (starting with the vast majority of terms used to refer to any minority group across history)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.