Wokeness Political Poison?

Let him finish talking about how he wants to assault adults first.

Is an openly-stated desire to assault neurodivergent children a reputation problem for the anti-woke? discuss

I think she is on the "spectrum" and has to work hard to be communicative. Be kind.
She is. She's spoken about it publicly, and of course the right-wing supporters have mocked her relentlessly ever since.

Many like Trump, never get beyond adolescence.

I remember people wanting to smack that HS kid around because an Indian walked up to him and banged a drum next to his face. I suspect they were more serious about assaulting him than an obvious joke about her looks. But the thread is about wokeness...

Woke is the new scare word for right wing TV. Used to be PC, but then everyone got onside with that. They need a new boogieman/ it's ok to be racist because...

Hydrogen or biofuel should be better solution to the fossil fuel problem wherever electricity is hard to use.
Keeping lots of grazing animals is not very ecology-friendly too.

I was chatting to a mate who manager of a building site in the middle of London. Good man, and progressive for his age. He was convinced hydrogen was the only way to get rid of diesel machinery in the centre of cities.

If a machine costs tens of thousands a day, it has to earn its keep by working every hour it's permitted.

Battery electric for cars that work less than 1% of their lives, hydrogen for the bulldozers etc that have to work every hour permitted.

Hydrogen or biofuel should be better solution to the fossil fuel problem wherever electricity is hard to use.
Keeping lots of grazing animals is not very ecology-friendly too.

The animals emit ghg which screws our emissions targets.

Considering we would have to shift acreage and pasturage is relatively low impact if it's not getting irrigated or shipped long distance as bales...

She is. She's spoken about it publicly, and of course the right-wing supporters have mocked her relentlessly ever since.

First I've heard of it. I know nothing about her personal life. I just assumed she's clueless about food production and is a typical middle/upper class loudmouth.

The question is, is it okay to slap a neurodivergent child if you weren't aware that they were neurodivergent, and the questioner wasn't aware that they weren't a child? That's a toughie.

The question is, is it okay to slap a neurodivergent child if you weren't aware that they were neurodivergent, and the questioner wasn't aware that they weren't a child? That's a toughie.
No, and the 'neurodivergent' and 'child' labels do not change that.

She's not a child I knew/suspected that.

I don't keep track of her personal life. She's just really annoying. She's not wrong but she's probably counter productive to her stated goals.

On the flip side... yes, to covid vaccines and I am not opposed to restrictions for people who refuse to get them for any reason other than medical ("it hurts" is not a valid medical reason). It's infuriating how there are so many people opposed to simple things and procedures to help the disabled live as normal a life as possible. It's in the friggin' Charter of Rights and Freedoms that the disabled cannot be discriminated against, yet our own federal government does it.

The vaccinated will give you covid as easily as the unvaccinated. Don't lower your guard.

She reminds me of a puritan or a nun. She's essentially useless at communicating though she is really only preaching to the converted.

The nuns are more coherent.

It's possible now. We could use literal horses, assuming people are willing to breed them and put 1/3 of the ground back into pasturage. Which they won't. Because if you try and do that you're out of business, and you did not pay yourself at any point while you were running it all into the ground.

I'm being too negative. There are sections of Amish that still do this. I guess we could look at their efficiencies and determine what subsidies would be required to support several percent of the US population in production in this manner.

It's possible. It will just require a vast return to the fields, 10% or perhaps 20% people working primarily in agriculture. And many others doing a little. And much more expensive food, which would take in people budget the place of what they spend in a number of entertainment services and digital junk.

Basically out society was screwed up because of marketing. The ever-continued increase in the sale of unnecessary products to fill up "consumer" free time, even as mechanization with its higher energy use freed that time.But having gotten in this path we're not deviating from it until forced. The woke enjoy their "free time" and despise anyone reddened by the sun working in a field. Wokeness, I'm afraid, is relatively popular. It just does not have a future as conditions worsen.

This I suspect is the core of basically all our climate change problems. All the solutions are possible, but cost a bit more. So unless everyone makes the change, no one can as they will get out competed.

It's not a matter of cost. It's a matter structure, how the economy is organized. Market economics, power on the side of the buyer, cheap food, cheapened labor, mechanization, higher energy use. If profit is the guiding principle, cheap energy and a market/rules structure that puts negotiating power mostly on the hands of the food distributors maintains this situation.
The market fanboys say the answer it to make energy more expensive, presto environmental crisis resolved. But they don't actually do it because the whole economy would require a big reconfiguration if that was done. While some might welcome the turmoil and the profit opportunities it would bring, it's just too... risky for the already wealthy to overturn the situation: they may end up worse! Governments are mostly staffed by the existing upper classes, and the upper classes are conservative economically because changes for those already on top will likely be downwards. So we got a century or more ago on the path of enthusiastic consumerism and we continue on that path until a lack of resources forces a change.

I was chatting to a mate who manager of a building site in the middle of London. Good man, and progressive for his age. He was convinced hydrogen was the only way to get rid of diesel machinery in the centre of cities.

If a machine costs tens of thousands a day, it has to earn its keep by working every hour it's permitted.

Battery electric for cars that work less than 1% of their lives, hydrogen for the bulldozers etc that have to work every hour permitted.

Depends on the use. I recall reading that electric mining trucks are getting popular. And those are the biggest, more expensive trucks in existence.

I don't really see the point the haste to electrify all autonomous vehicles. There is plenty of low-hanging fruit still to pick before that. Electrifying all rail where practical. Building more rail to replace highways, especially for merchandise. I'd also say mass transit but the disastrous handling of covid threw a spanner on that. And replacing fossil fuel power stations with alternatives. Related to that, building up storage for electric grids, preferably all of it pumped storage where possible. Realistically will take several decades more.

The vaccinated will give you covid as easily as the unvaccinated. Don't lower your guard.
Oh, I know. Being vaccinated doesn't mean you can't be a carrier. I'm still in hermit mode. There are two or three times I will have to go somewhere during the rest of the year: a couple of banking errands and my annual eye exam that's done by the surgeon who replaced my natural lenses with artificial ones (cataract surgery). Annual exams are part of the service for diabetic patients, and they're separate from the every-two-years I'm allowed under the disability benefit.

She's just really annoying. She's not wrong but she's probably counter productive to her stated goals.
This is holding teenaged activists to a really high standard. That is an argument against eco-terrorism perhaps, but to criticise an 18 year old for not being media savvy when they capture the world's attention is a bit much.

This is holding teenaged activists to a really high standard. That is an argument against eco-terrorism perhaps, but to criticise an 18 year old for not being media savvy when they capture the world's attention is a bit much.

She's the one looking for attention yes?

I don't regard climate change as particularly woke btw. It's what we should be concerned about but it's getting drowned out by everything else that in the grand scheme of things don't matter.

Greens here barely focus on the environment anymore it's all social stuff.

If the ngs really fall apart (which is where we're heading it seems) the social stuff won't matter anymore.

Compare with right what do they focus on. MAGA, tax cuts pro corporations. It's a lot easier to achieve. More importantly it's easier to dress up and sell to the plebians.

Basically is wokeness gonna help or hinder the Democrats. Midterms next year.
Def hurt. We have a garbage VP that nobody liked forced on us because of the color of her skin and her junk rather than content of character.

Woke bs is definitely poisoning the idea of what a liberal should be.

Red vs blue in the US shouldn't even be close but because of weird woke superficiality and image over substance it is and we will likely lose ground in 2022.

I don't regard climate change as particularly woke btw. It's what we should be concerned about but it's getting drowned out by everything else that in the grand scheme of things don't matter
Well put. Environmental concerns are the issue of our time and its getting drowned by idiotic mintuae as a distraction and divisive tactic.

Much easier for ExxonMobil or whoever to wave a rainbow flag or put BLM in an ad than to, you know, actually change in any meaningful way.

Top Bottom