1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Woman: I was kicked out of bar for being pregnant!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by danjuno, Jan 14, 2011.

1. Thoughtful Thug

Thoughtful Thug Deity

A pregnant woman can't enter a mosh pit. I think we can all agree that is a good rule.

I say that as long as when the bar is full to the capacity of sustaining a number of patrons, then pregnant women ought to be out of there for their safety.

2. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Water addicts

3. History_Buff

History_Buff Knight of Cydonia

I agree with this sentiment:

I don't have a huge issue with you making a 'no preggos' rule, but at least be up front about it. Of course, depending on what the bar is like, I understand that the bar managers might have had a point.

4. Cheetah

Cheetah Deity

Assuming that the bar is not legally liable; Would you stop a woman you don't know who were trying to pour alcohol into her 1 year old kid?

5. Bugfatty300

Bugfatty300 Buddha Squirrel

Who's talking about mosh pits?

You do realize that most bars are not violent over-crowded dangerous death traps right?

6. Left

Left Real Game Out Here

Have you ever been to a bar? It is entirely possible not to drink in a bar.

So is driving a car. So is living closer to a active volcano but we don't evacuate pregnant ladies from Hawaii. I don't think the bar is going to be a signifigantly more dangerous place. Especially for someone drinking water with the friends.

There probably wasn't even smoking allowed in the bar. I don't really see how this was particularly dangerous. For the lady or the fetus.

7. Thoughtful Thug

Thoughtful Thug Deity

I was giving an example for which any argument can allude to.

Yes I do realize that some bars are not violent over-crowded dangerous death traps, as well as some are indeed violent over-crowded dangerous death traps.

8. innonimatu

innonimatu Deity

How do americans manage to live with an insanely litigious society?

9. Cashie

Cashie King

She's suing the bar because she was kicked out of the bar to prevent her from suing the bar.

Logic.

10. GinandTonic

GinandTonic Saphire w/ Schweps + Lime

What the hell visions of bars do some of you have? If you cannot keep a pregnant woman safe in your bar then you have no business running a bar.

11. amadeus

amadeus Bring back the Civ2 theme!

We lawyer up.

12. Formaldehyde

Formaldehyde Both Fair And Balanced

Haven't you heard of designated drivers before? Or teetotalers or AA members who go to bars to hang out with their friends? Not everybody goes into a bar to drink alcohol. I believe it is even legal in some states for children to be in bars.

I certainly hope she wins.

13. BSmith1068

BSmith1068 Deity Retired Moderator

This. Completely dumb idea to ask her to leave.

For those of you arguing that a bar is a dangerous place - how many times have you been to a bar? How many of those times have you been in physical danger?

I mean, come on! She wasn't even drinking....

And give the lady a break. She is about a month away from ever going back to a bar again! (ok I jest, but seriously, once you have kids there is a lot less time spent out, especially in places where kids aren't allowed)

14. Shadylookin

Shadylookin master debater

I think they should be allowed to refuse entry to pregnant women. I also don't think being preggers is a protected class(if it is it shouldn't be). I could also see them wanting to kick her out if it was busy and all she was doing was taking up space and ordering water.

I don't even see how she can sue them. They asked her to leave and she accepted. If they asked her, she said no, and then they forced her to leave then it might be something.

15. Formaldehyde

Formaldehyde Both Fair And Balanced

When a bouncer asks you to leave a bar, it isn't like you really have any choice in the matter. Although I can imagine the lawsuit if he had physically removed her from the premises if she had refused to do so under her own power.

16. Bugfatty300

Bugfatty300 Buddha Squirrel

Then how about about we close those bars down for being dangerous rather than indiscriminately applying generalizations to all of them?

17. Mr. Dictator

Mr. Dictator A Chain-Smoking Fox

He shouldn't have kicked her out. Maybe just took her aside and said something along the lines of:

"Ma'am, I need to ask you a personal question. Are you pregnant? You are? Well, I'd like you to know that if a fight breaks out and you get hurt, since I've told you of the risk its in your hands."

No need to kick her out, but putting her in the know of the situation would have been better beforehand probably.

18. Cashie

Cashie King

Ideally, yes - I'm not sure if they can legally waive public liability like that - expecting someone to exercise judgement and take responsibility for their own decisions seems to be asking too much in modern society.

19. Zack

Zack 99% hot gas

@this and Cheetah: I thought it was obvious I was joking...

20. Earthling

Earthling Deity

Uh, bars and clubs kick people out all the time for stuff like being ugly... If this was anything other than your neighborhood Applebee's bar then this sounds completely normal and expected (though as others have pointed out the state/city may have some other rules about bouncers/private establishment rules and I don't know enough about local precedent/law). I too would wonder why a pregnant woman would want to be there in the first place too.

Ideally the bouncer shouldn't have even let her in in the first place though.