Woman: I was kicked out of bar for being pregnant!

Meh. In Britain, the police and government have affirmed the validity of certain types of IDs, yet bars and clubs see it fit to set their own rules as to which they accept. On top of that, they might not even check everyone's - girls seem to escape scrutiny more easily. I guess that's discrimination too?

As much as I like them sometimes, bars and clubs are stupid places where stupid people hang out (including, of course, the bouncers). That's why they have stupid rules.

Uh, bars and clubs kick people out all the time for stuff like being ugly... If this was anything other than your neighborhood Applebee's bar then this sounds completely normal and expected (though as others have pointed out the state/city may have some other rules about bouncers/private establishment rules and I don't know enough about local precedent/law). I too would wonder why a pregnant woman would want to be there in the first place too.

Ideally the bouncer shouldn't have even let her in in the first place though.

Yeah if you're wearing the wrong shirt or something you might not even get in. It seems they can practice discrimination all they want.

This is an interesting case and I wonder if it would have implications elsewhere, like purely subjective dress codes or not being as attractive as the bouncer wants. No bar or club I've been to has ever had their dress codes or attraction levels clearly posted. Never.

This is a toughie for the bar. Them would seem to be hamstrung by the following (from the OP article):
In Illinois, it is illegal to serve a guest who shows signs of intoxication, but it is also illegal to deny service to a woman just because she is pregnant, said Sheila O'Grady, president of the Chicago-based Illinois Restaurant Association, which offers training on responsible alcohol service.
It seems odd that they would not be able to refuse to serve a pregnant patience alcohol, yet would be liable for any damage done. If someone is entering the bar, then the bar obviously wants them to be paying customers, but either they serve a pregnant lady alcohol (something they shouldn't be allowed to do, but by the appearances of the OP would be obliged to do), or that customer is not making the bar any money.

That said, they probably should've let her in and let her just drink water, but they're in a tough situation.

-xpost, this was @ Holycannoli

Yeah, I think we're really lacking details on context on just what this place is. Again, if it's like an Applebee's bar, well that's interesting, but any sort of more "hip" bar or club, I can't see how any reasonable person would expect anything different, 8 months pregnant, really?

Everyone's missing the biggest issue here:

Who the hell goes to a bar to drink water, especially when 8 months pregnant???
@this and Cheetah: I thought it was obvious I was joking...
It wasn't obvious. :huh:

If the bar allowed smoking, I say bravo to the bouncer, for the baby's sake. Otherwise, since the woman was only drinking water and doing nothing more strenuous than sitting and chatting with a friend AND there was no mention in the OP of rowdy behavior happening at the time, she should have been allowed to stay.

Should have been, but if there is some sort of a weird "If you allow a pregnant woman to drink booze in your bar, even if you didn't serve it to her, then you can be found liable" law on the books, then the bouncer did the right thing. There probably isn't, but I'm just saying

This is a tough call. Its a gray area. I don't think the woman should get too upset about it. The bar staff has an extremely valid concern and she knows that very well. She should speak to the bar manager/owner and try to hash it out without resorting to media pressure or lawsuits. I don't think that either party is wrong in this case. The bar is vulnerable in this case and the woman does not deserve to be discriminated against.

The woman insisted that the bar discriminated against her based on her sex.

That's nonsense, they would kick a pregnant man out of the bar even quicker, I assure you!

What they were doing was disallowing a minus-1 month old baby from entering the bar. It wasn't the bouncer's fault momma wouldn't let go...

The woman insisted that the bar discriminated against her based on her sex.
If it wasn't that sad and that disgusting it would be actually fairly amusing.

Let's review this once more:
  • There is a young woman who complains that she was discriminated in nightlife for being a young woman?
    She was probably discriminated in nightlife for being a young non-pregnant woman before all the time. But for some reason that didn't bother her...
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Yes, she was discriminated against. No, that whole protecting pregnant women/protecting yourself from being sued stuff is nonsense.
None the less she should either take a more general interest in fighting discrimination in nightlife or just stfu.

Also: We don't have the name of the place, let alone pictures?
First it's a nightspot, then it's a bar. I usually think of bars as "places without bouncers", but that's just me. What is it exactly?
Who the hell goes to a bar to drink water, especially when 8 months pregnant???
Me?
I'm not an ex-alcoholic, largely irreligious and perfectly able to digest alcohol.
Point taken. But isn't the woman responsible for what happens to herself? Why then, should the bar be worried?
Of course she is.
I'm trying to stick with what was probably the bars real reason to kick her out here: A pregnant woman is the wort possible decoration if want to sell lot's of alcohol to a young, hip audience with a vague hope for sex.
Assuming that the bar is not legally liable; Would you stop a woman you don't know who were trying to pour alcohol into her 1 year old kid?
Maybe. But i wouldn't stop a pregnant woman i don't know from drinking. And i'd be opposed to a law prohibiting to serve a pregnant woman alcohol.
You do realize that most bars are not violent over-crowded dangerous death traps right?
You are saying most. As i pointed out: We don't know the place.

Uh, bars and clubs kick people out all the time for stuff like being ugly... If this was anything other than your neighborhood Applebee's bar then this sounds completely normal and expected (though as others have pointed out the state/city may have some other rules about bouncers/private establishment rules and I don't know enough about local precedent/law). I too would wonder why a pregnant woman would want to be there in the first place too.

Ideally the bouncer shouldn't have even let her in in the first place though.
Yeah if you're wearing the wrong shirt or something you might not even get in. It seems they can practice discrimination all they want.

This is an interesting case and I wonder if it would have implications elsewhere, like purely subjective dress codes or not being as attractive as the bouncer wants. No bar or club I've been to has ever had their dress codes or attraction levels clearly posted. Never.
Finally. :)

What about blind people, people in a wheel chair, people over 40 etc. They could be more vunerable also so should they be asked to leave also.

What about blind people, people in a wheel chair, people over 40 etc. They could be more vunerable also so should they be asked to leave also.
Because the bar isn't so much protecting the woman as they are protecting the baby.

I find this an interesting stance. Why does drinking alcohol when pregnant not amount to child abuse? Is it actually not harmful?
Depends on your definition of child and your definition of abuse. At least regarding the first one we probably have different opinions. :)

You haven't been to my local Mise. I might not agree with it, but I can understand where the bar is coming from. Even so, it wouldn't take more than her falling to potentially miscarry. The risk is there.

nobody has even mentioned the secondhand smoke she's exposing her baby too in that bar. She shouldn't be in a bar with secondhand smoke (assuming they do have smoking in bars, I'm not familiar with that state's smoking laws)

Because the bar isn't so much protecting the woman as they are protecting the baby.

Is a 8 month foetus in more danger than 1 month foetus.

Should women be sent to hospital as soon as it is found that they are pregnant?

You can Google reviews of the place at "Coach House Restaurant" & Roselle

Looks like an average bar next to a main road set in the middle of suburban sprawl
Very small amounts of alcohol do not damage the foetus at certain stages of pregnancy. (say one small glass of wine a week),

Silurian said:
Very small amounts of alcohol do not damage the foetus at certain stages of pregnancy. (say one small glass of wine a week),

... I don't think anyone is arguing foetal alcohol syndrome as a likely result of going to a bar and drinking water.

Top Bottom