Women in UK are worst binge drinkers in world

ComradeDavo

Formerly God
http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/health_medical/article1919105.ece

Drunk & disorderly: Women in UK are worst binge drinkers in world
By Roger Dobson, Sophie Goodchild and Marie Woolf
Published: 22 October 2006

Women in England and Ireland are officially the world's biggest binge drinkers, according to a unique study of global alcohol consumption.

One in three 17- to 30-year-olds is now classed as a heavy drinker, bingeing on four or more drinks in one session at least once a fortnight.

These disturbing figures are 11 times higher than those of Germany and Italy, prompting warnings that record numbers of women face liver damage and premature death unless they curb their alcohol consumption.

The findings are based on a survey of more than 17,000 women and men from 21 countries, including Belgium, France and the United States, in the largest study ever carried out into worldwide drinking habits.

The disclosure will alarm policy-makers struggling to combat Britain's growing drink problem, which has led to an escalation in anti-social behaviour, lost working hours and long-term health problems, including cancer and heart problems.

A new government advertising campaign will this week highlight how drunkenness puts women at risk of sexual assault. Studies show that more than three-quarters - 81 per cent - of sex attack victims have been drinking before being attacked.

A review by the Association of Chief Police Officers of drug-rape attacks has found that in many cases women had been drinking heavily rather than been targeted by men using date-rape drugs. The Government is considering tighter laws so that even when a woman has consented to sex, men can be prosecuted for rape, if she was drunk at the time.

New Department of Health figures for England and Wales show that more than one in six women aged between 16 and 64 are either addicted to alcohol or suffer health problems as a result of drinking. Nine per cent of women are now classified as binge drinkers, consuming four units or more per session.

The study reveals that excessive drinking has soared in England, but has declined in Germany and France. In Ireland, nearly two-thirds of young women are rated as heavy drinkers. But even though some 26 per cent of British men binge drink, England does not feature at the top of the male heavy drinkers league table. This is dominated by Belgium, Colombia, Ireland and Poland.

Dr Andrew Steptoe, co-author of the report, said heavy drinking was a worldwide problem, but that England and Ireland had high figures compared with mainland Europe.

"Although not all young heavy drinkers end up being heavy drinkers in later life, they are at higher risk later for health problems," said Dr Steptoe, of the department of epidemiology and public health at University College London.

Doctors also blame the drinks industry for deliberately targeting women with female-friendly drinks and décor. They want ministers to exercise more control instead of allowing the industry to self-regulate. England, Scotland and Ireland are the only countries in western Europe, apart from Denmark, where alcohol consumption is rising.

Additional reporting by Jonathan Owen
If 4 or more drinks in one session at least once a fortnight makes a woman a heavy drinker...then I know alot of extremely heavy drinkers:eek:

Anyways, what this report is basically saying is what we all know - the UK has a big problem with alcohol. We need to develop a much more 'european' relaxed style in our attitudes to alcohol. Saying that...there has been many occasion where i've got completely wasted.....

Could this explain "dogging"?

4 drinks, once a fortnight.. EVERY student must fall into that category?

Also, drinks lubricate lust.. which is always fun :groucho:

Abaddon said:
4 drinks, once a fortnight.. EVERY student must fall into that category?
Exactly!
Though it means woman...as men's livers can take alcohol better. So I guess it means 5-6 drinks for males?

But a night out, ill always do that.. an im often out more than once a week..

Sat night was quite massive compared to their definition:

Shots: Archers, Absolute x 2,Absinthe x 2
Pints :Kronenburgh x 3 and a Diesel
Unknown quantity of "dirty" shots while playing Arrogance...

4 or more drinks a night is binging?

Man, that I'm even asking that puts into context how big a problem we got over here...4 drinks will just start to relax you after a hard days slog :D

skadistic said:
Could this explain "dogging"?

Nah, you have to drive to remote places first...can't do that drunk the police mind about that.

Bare in mind thats 4 single drinks. So two pints of Guinness or Stella counts as binge drinking for ladies, three for men. By that definition almost everyone who goes out is binge drinking, and a lot of the people who dont go out too.

Daft definition if you ask me.

ComradeDavo said:
If 4 or more drinks in one session at least once a fortnight makes a woman a heavy drinker...then I know alot of extremely heavy drinkers:eek:
Same here ...

Hm. Their numbers would indicate that less than one in thirty young German women drink 4+ drinks in a session fortnightly. Having been an exchange student in Germany, I find that surprisingly low ...

i think the issue with this is the way people consider drinks in different countries. in the UK people go out to get drunk, in places like Germany where alcohol is a part of everyday life, they go out to have a drink and some fun.

I don't like the fact that it says that 'UK women' are the worst in the world, but only states England and Ireland. Not that I'm saying women from Scotland and Wales are saints though.......

steviejay said:
i think the issue with this is the way people consider drinks in different countries. in the UK people go out to get drunk, in places like Germany where alcohol is a part of everyday life, they go out to have a drink and some fun.

I don't like the fact that it says that 'UK women' are the worst in the world, but only states England and Ireland. Not that I'm saying women from Scotland and Wales are saints though.......
That's because they couldn't find any Women in Wales sober enough to count the number of drinks they've had. Presumably the researchers didn't speak to any women in Scotland as doing so would result in a bottle to the head from her 'fella'.

So what happens when you breed UK women with Russian men? Use liquor for baby formula? :mischief:

what I noticed in brits (but that's just my subjective observation) is that they seem to drink much faster than their continental counterparts (you know, if you drink these 4 drinks within 15 minutes you're gonna fell it a lot more...). I don't know, it might have to do with the fact that pubs used to close so early, so you had to hurry...

Thank God. Otherwise I'd never get laid.

KaeptnOvi said:
what I noticed in brits (but that's just my subjective observation) is that they seem to drink much faster than their continental counterparts (you know, if you drink these 4 drinks within 15 minutes you're gonna fell it a lot more...). I don't know, it might have to do with the fact that pubs used to close so early, so you had to hurry...
That's been the general consensus for some time. They've now allowed extended drinking hours but IIRC relatively few clubs have applied for the licence. I thought extended drinking hours would help eventually but it needs time to work.

We can't cut and run now that British drinkers need us most :smug:

PrinceOfLeigh said:
That's because they couldn't find any Women in Wales sober enough to count the number of drinks they've had. Presumably the researchers didn't speak to any women in Scotland as doing so would result in a bottle to the head from her 'fella'.

heh yeah that makes sense

Top Bottom