Women in UK are worst binge drinkers in world

Maybe blame is being focused on the wrong people here. Maybe it's not the women we should be pointing the finger at... but the men. Maybe the UK men are just unattractive in general, and the women have to hit the booze full tilt in order to psyche themselves up for intimate engagement w/ the hideous oral hygiene of the would-be partners that happen to be available.

:p cheers for that Lotus.

I like the fact that you guys can take that type of humor in stride. Not something I ever get to exercise much, this side of the pond.

steviejay said:
heh yeah that makes sense
Either that or they just assumed that the Celts drink more.

KaeptnOvi said:
what I noticed in brits (but that's just my subjective observation) is that they seem to drink much faster than their continental counterparts (you know, if you drink these 4 drinks within 15 minutes you're gonna fell it a lot more...). I don't know, it might have to do with the fact that pubs used to close so early, so you had to hurry...
Yeah I find that I drink pretty quickly.
Lotus49 said:
I like the fact that you guys can take that type of humor in stride. Not something I ever get to exercise much, this side of the pond.
:)

Lotus49 said:
I would say it's the drinking which makes us more mellow but a quick walk around Liverpool at 3am will dispell that theory pretty quickly.

It's not binge drinking until you can't lift the glass/bottle. :beer:

Why doesn't the article link the study?

Anyway, yeah, the UK has quite the reputation when binge drinking is involved. My brother works in a Birmingham hotel, and the stories he can tell...

Tank_Guy#3 said:
Not really all that surprised. Seeing the food you guys eat makes me wonder why more don't get their "nourishment" from the bottle.
Britain is probably one of best places to eat now...given that we have so many styles here! I mean seriously, you can dine at a great Chinese restaurant..Thai restaurant...Indian restaurant..Italian restaurant...vegetarian restaurant..or just get chips!

Trying to figure out what a fortnight is, is driving me to drink.

Shadylookin said:
Trying to figure out what a fortnight is, is driving me to drink.
Fourteen days or two weeks.

Masquerouge said:
Why doesn't the article link the study?

Anyway, yeah, the UK has quite the reputation when binge drinking is involved. My brother works in a Birmingham hotel, and the stories he can tell...

I have lived in Birmingham for 18 months and I can assure that women in the UK drink too much. I haven't been to all the rest of the heavy drinking places in the world, but if UK women are not on top of the list, they must be very close.

For the past 3 months I've been on about 14 pints a week and I'm not a heavy drinker at all compared to some people I know.

Next 3 days going on 3 different pub crawls as well, one in London where its 80p a drink in a nightclub.

Should be a laugh, heh, your only a student once.

Maybe the birds drink more because they are drinking warm weak beer. :p

skadistic said:
Fourteen days or two weeks.

well with that knowledge...

I've always thought a binge drinker was someone that drank a lot, but 4 beers/shots in one night once every 2 weeks isn't enough to even get me a buzz.

I think 4 drinks is well within moderation and seems to make the term binge drinker meaningless when it seems to encompass almost everyone.

ComradeDavo said:
British Ale far surpasses anythign thats come out of the US:smug:
Thats not saying a whole lot. American beer sucks so bad ('cept Sam Adams)words can't describe.

A lot of these binge drinkers are slags; they must have very sad lives if all they can do all night is get drunk. It aint very funny.

At school, some sad pathetic losers boast to me that they are "getting drunk this Saturday". They say it as if it is something to be admired, astounded by, or at least impressed by. Inside I want to scream at these people how pathetic they are, if all the look forward to is getting drunk, by themselves, in a room. I normally just comment "Oh, well good" or something like that.

Should I be saying "Oh, amazing! You're so cool! I wish I was like you! Can I get drunk with you?" etc. etc.?

chrisrossi said:
A lot of these binge drinkers are slags; they must have very sad lives if all they can do all night is get drunk. It aint very funny.
You don't know what you are talking about young man.

I know alot of girls who drink alot who are definetely NOT slags.

And the article isn't talking about drinking every night, it's talking about 'binge drinking' in the sense of having many drinks in one session once a fortnight.

You know - getting drunk is actually quite fun when you do it with friends in a relaxed atmospher, or in a good pub/club where you dance the night away.

Don't let one group of idiots influecne your opinion of alcohol too much.

Top Bottom