Women playing civ

Ohhh . . . How many of these have I senn . . .

Anyway, I'm a guy apparently . . .

Originally posted by Padma
There are about a dozen known/admitted females who post in these forums out of the several hundred males. Whether that same ratio holds true concerning the playing of Civ, is another question; one that cannot be answered by polling the forums. ;)

*cough cough* selection bias (link) *cough cough*

Originally posted by Padma
There are about a dozen known/admitted females who post in these forums out of the several hundred males. Whether that same ratio holds true concerning the playing of Civ, is another question; one that cannot be answered by polling the forums. ;)

I wonder if there has been any changes in male & female participation?

OT:

There should be a forum just for the ladies, so we could visit there often. :D :devil2:

*** I hope Chieftess and Moonsinger don't feel the need to discipline me! ;) ***

I would kill to meet a Hot Civ Chick!

Originally posted by Justinian III
Take a number. Yours is 12398752934873. The line starts in Mexico. No, check that, it's now in Costa Rica. (Picking distant yet land traversable countries at random.)

Padma's right, a forum poll only establishes the ratio for those that play Civ and post on the net.

Originally posted by superslug

Take a number. Yours is 12398752934873. The line starts in Mexico. No, check that, it's now in Costa Rica. (Picking distant yet land traversable countries at random.)

Padma's right, a forum poll only establishes the ratio for those that play Civ and post on the net.

:lol:

Hi folks,

IIRC, the last time I looked at the Civ 3 registration data, the split was something like 80% men, 10% women, and 10% "no answer."

10% may not sound like much, but when you consider that number is like 2-3% for "hardcore gamer" games like Unreal Tournament, it's actually quite large.

I have long been confounded trying to define the "average" Civ player. There is no such thing. The typical definition of a hardcore gamer is someone who buys at least 5 games a year. This usually turns out to be a male between the ages of 15-25. (I remember those years... time for 12 hour marathon gaming sessions... extra disposable income... roommates to play multiplayer with... those were the days...) And Civ does have many fans in that age range. But, as other threads on this forum have shown in the past, we have many gamers who are in their 30's, 40's, 50's, and beyond, and more than our typical share of female gamers.

Why is that? Theories abound. "It's a building game, not just a fighting game, which makes it more attractive to women gamers." Or how about, "It's slow-paced, so older gamers don't need 'twitch' reflexes in order to play it." Or, "It's turn-based, so you can squeeze in as much or as little time as you want with it in an otherwise busy schedule." I think all of those have grains of truth in them, but the real answer is probably just this: The game is fun, and fun transcends all ages and genders.

Thought you'd find the information interesting, since registration data is slightly less biased than civfanatics forum polls.

Now my next poll should be -- which magazines do you read, and which websites do you visit, so I know where to advertise...! Maybe I'll start a thread.

Best,
Jeff Foley
Atari

My fiancee does not like the game at all. Which is strange, considering she loves history, and is into the "Romance of the Three Kingdoms" series of games. She doesn't like having to deal with all of the units in the game.

My 30 year old daughter used to play a lot (I started her in Civ1) but doesn't have time now as she is in the business world and trying to take over Honeywell. She hasn't been there 2 years yet after getting her MBA so she has a long way to go.

This is probably going beyond the original question but I think civ appeals to a very large audience that enjoys a complex game that has building and strategy in it. I have met various engineers that enjoy this game but I have found out that others enjoy this game as well. Some of the various backgrounds include a massage therapist, economists, programmers and students.

Some of these people I have worked with, some I met while playing Everquest and others I met while in school. I think all of these people enjoy the progress of building a nation. I think there is something innately rewarding with seeing the results of your efforts.

Interesting posting, kb2tvl.

I like Ultima Online, a MMORPG like Everquest, and I am a student of economics...

I got the impression that programmers and mathematicians are the most advanced Civ players, e.g. SirPleb. But my personal top player is Ision - I do not know if he is a good player, but his strategy guides really impressed me.

Originally posted by Justinian III

Dating or marrying a CIV Chick might be a bad thing. You'd never get to be with her because she was always playing CIV!!! :lol:

Ack, Mano3 was 20 minutes ahead of me! If she loves it as much as you do you would never see her or, worse, never get on the computer.

My fiancee has a tendency to watch while I play. She watches TV and I play on a laptop. While she is not so interested in playing it herself she sees how it is a good break for me from study. Now, if she wanted to play we might be like dogs over meat after a time.

Originally posted by Mano3

Dating or marrying a CIV Chick might be a bad thing. You'd never get to be with her because she was always playing CIV!!! :lol:

Yeah, but provided you have two computers and two copies of civ, there will be no fights about playing too much civ!

Who was it that said that his wife told him "You'd better get to bed if you know what's good for you..." There would be none of these fights if both spouses/lovers/partners played Civ!

I only wish I had the stamina. . . well, that's fodder for another thread.

my ex-wife used to refer to Civ as "that other woman" :lol:

(and no, Civ was not the reason for me to divorce her) ;)

My 2 daughters, aged 8 and 10, like to play but they hate going to war and I can't get them off Chieftan level. They just love building lots of stuff, especially wonders, and watching their units run around.

Top Bottom