Won convincingly, then insulted

teshman

Chieftain
I have given this game to my wife to play,as i will never play it again. I played it once, won convincingly, and then had the game insult me by caling my efforts pathetic (Hannurabi (sp?) the Pathetic was the awarded title. I assume this was because I played a tiny world (on chieftan), which only allows you to get a small number of cities and consequent resources. I was going for a cultural victory, almost got the UN built but ran out of time. My civ score was over twice the nearest civ, but I still got insulted for all the effort I put into it. Life is way to short to play games that hand out vitriol like this. How come they did not set it up to be more encouraging?

That ranking is based on your final score. Which on a tiny map won't get you a very high score if you're winning on a UN or something that happens late in the game. Mainly due to not much land to control, and that's the biggest part of the score formula. Don't take that too personally though.

come on, a PATHETIC WIN on your first ever game is a helluva lot better than a meek loss !!!!!

just laugh it off my friend....

As Thunderfall pointed out, I direct you to look at the global rankings for the GotM and you will see me at the bottom, but no one is laughing at me since I have the real power here. ;)

I supposed you never play Civ1 and Civ2? This ranking thing is a proud Civ tradition. ;)

Here is a list of all the rankings:
-------------
the Worthless
the Pathetic <<--- You are here.
the Foolish
the Meek
the Cruel
the Terrible
the Fair
the Strong
the Clever
the Conqueror
the Lion-Hearted
the Great
the Wise
the Magnificent
----------------

...and other nasty things the computer might say to you (be prepared):

Go back to chieftain!
Don't worry "champ," you'll get 'em next time.
You look so lovely when you lose.
We crushed you, saw you driven before us, and hear the lamentation of your people!
Consider your lawn MOWED!
All you're leading is Jack and spit. Jack just left town.
All your base are belong to us!
Gimme an 'L!' Gimme an 'O!' Whatever... LOSER!
Told!
Aww... was that your last city? Maybe we should give it back...
There's no shame in retiring... none at all... really... no, really...
If in times of trouble, you run into a wall... bounce off, and run back into it.
If you practice a little more, I might break a sweat next time.

-----------

Of course, they will say some real nice things to you if you win the game. :love:

You're never playing again because you weren't awarded a mighty title on chieftain level on a tiny map? You obviously haven't given the game time to work it's magic on you. It's only a matter of time before you get hooked. And once it's got you, it's got you forever...

Get back in there, teshman the pathetic! :)

Thats quite funny that he has stopped playing because he thinks he has completed the game and got insulted. There is no way that you can say you have completed the game after one game. It is much easier to get a higher score on the higher difficulties as long as you win...

IMHO, Civilization is a game that can never be comnpleted.

It is a game, with an infinite appeal and the sheer number of possibllities keeps you going back for more.

I mildly amused by the fact that you can win once on chieftan and say you've finished!

Give it another go, another map, another civ and go for a different victory! Trust me, you'll never have free time again!

I will refrain from attempting to scourge the world of your filth. :)

Pathetic? Just wait and see what they say when you lose! :D

It can't be that difficult getting a good score, I got awarded a title of "the strong" on a warlord standard map! If that's not good going, i don'f know what is!

If you're going to let that bring you down and not play the game again then.. well maybe the AI was right about calling u pathetic..

i am currently trying to win Emperor, and they "AI" really don't pull their punches!

so what'd I say?!
I say: " Bring em on!!"

:D

I noticed that too. As soon as I moved up to warlord level, suddenly, the game got WAY harder. I was expecting it to be a little harder, obviously but this was a complete shock. However, it does make the game much more challenging and enjoyable. What's the score required to be magnificent?
P.S. Say, where did the little counter for the number of posts go???

Originally posted by teshman
I have given this game to my wife to play,as i will never play it again. I played it once, won convincingly, and then had the game insult me by caling my efforts pathetic (Hannurabi (sp?) the Pathetic was the awarded title. I assume this was because I played a tiny world (on chieftan), which only allows you to get a small number of cities and consequent resources. I was going for a cultural victory, almost got the UN built but ran out of time. My civ score was over twice the nearest civ, but I still got insulted for all the effort I put into it. Life is way to short to play games that hand out vitriol like this. How come they did not set it up to be more encouraging?

It's better than Hammurabi the Dead, or Hammurabi the Forgotten.

I would never be so arrogant to assume I had finished a game because I won one game on an easy level. I can also understand how the scoring system works in the way it worked out my final title.

What I was trying to point out was that it was fairly poor design to offer such comments to new players, when they had just spent (for me) a reasonable number of hours researching good tactics (from this board), applying them carefully to gain a good victory, only to be offerred a comment like this, just because they started out with a tiny map on an easy level.

It would have been much better to have set the civ score ranking systems based on starting size etc (i.e. different ranking scales for each starting size), or perhaps encourage them to try harder combinations rather than awarding an insulting title.

I played the original Civ 1 when it came out, and tend to move from game to game fairly quickly, hence my lack of interest in Civ3 at this point (Sub command is more fun for me at present). I have seen a lot of games come and go. If you wanted to build your player base as fast as possible, awarding titles in this manner is not the most creative way of doing it.

Edit: And I was being grumpy too. Its a perogative of getting older, and having a newborn baby in the house. :crazyeyes

If you don't finish any of the victory conditions before 2050, ie you win by score which shows as "Retired" you get a shat title.

Happens 2 me too ! Just make sure you get one of ht e victory conditions before 2050 and you'll be back on track!

All I can say is I would never give a game to my wife if I thought it was going to insult her and call her "pathetic". She will remember where she got it from.

Really, though, if that's your worst gripe about the game, it's hardly enough to make you hang it up and toss it aside. Especially for someone who thinks he's mature enough to raise children. What will you do the first time that young 'un of yours calls you a name (and it'll probably be something worse than "pathetic")? After all that work you put into raising the kid, you'd expect something better, wouldn't you?

If you are really concerned over how the computer ranks you, you can try getting a rapid military win. I have managed to do it a few times and got top tier rankings. In my opinion conquest gives the highest score 'cause if you finish the game earlier, your score is higher. ( I vanquished my opponents back to as early as 2000 BC)
:)

What do you want them to do? Have a parade in your honor because you won at chieftain on a small map? You got just what you should have gotten.
Now what most people say when they get a stupid rating like Pathetic is try to figure out why the rating is so low and correct that. This isn't a game like Baldur's Gate where you play it once and its over (unless you want to go through another hundred hours of it). Every game is different. The civs themselves are different. The maps are different. The resources and luxuries are scattered.
Hell, I often go for a week before I find a map that I even want to play. I'll start a game, not like my surroundings after fifty turns or so, then start over. That for me is the joy of this game. Keep trying until you find the conditions that best suit your playing style, then wipe them up.
But to give up after just one game is pathetic. And BTW. If you think its that bad you must not think much of your wife by giving it to her.
:scan:

I recommend getting over yourself; it's just a little bit of humor, and if you really find it so insulting that you will "never play again" you might consider going back to Pong, or better yet turn off the computer and read a book. Not an inflammatory one though. :lol:

Personally, I don't play for the score or ranking - I am not as good at the game as many, so why should I care what my ranking is? For me, the goal is to have fun and build a civilization that I think is cool. I get my @$$ handed to me on regent level, and I think the best ranking I've achieved in a (warlord) win was "Meek." No sense crying about it though!

Top Bottom