Won my first game on diety - Russians

dfinzown

Chieftain
Hey,
Just won my first game on diety! I chose random, and was a little disappointed that I was Russia, but it worked out okay for my first diety game!

I started the game fairly alone, was on one big land mass. I was on the eastern shore, Napoleon was in the southeast with me, Elizabeth was in the southwest, Saladin was in the west, and Ghandi was on a small island in the far northwest. He also expanded to the large land mass, near Saladin.

I rushed Napoleon with my warrior army quickly and got him out of the way. By the time I got to Elizabeth she had a longbow archer army in London, so I backed off and started to settle in. There was a huge lake in the middle of the continent, so I block off the two land access routes to my empire.

On route to the south of me, it was only one square wide, so I plopped a city there and made an archer army. The other route, to the west of me, was three squares tall, so I had to make one city and defend the other two squares with fortified defenses, no cities.

I had claimed a large territory and had left the 3 remaining leaders with not a lot of land. I started racing ahead in techs, but soon realized that I couldn't past Ghandi, who was only 6 people/flipped cities/wonders away from a cultural victory. I needed to power towards the nuke.

Finally, when Ghandi had 18 great people/wonders, I nuked Delhi, and set him back to 12 great people/wonders! This was the turning point in the game. I easily won a tech victory, as the three leaders couldn't push through my blockades and threaten me at all.

When I got Russia at the beginning of the game, I thought I was toast! But they came through fine! The loyalty bonus was AMAZING at letting me blockade the entrances to my empire, and the extra food from plains let my cities grow quickly!

Great game, man! I like your strategy, especially after starting with a civ you didn't like. I use blocking quite a bit, too. You just have to keep upgrading the units that are blocking or the are easily overrun later in the game.

Russia is underrated. I like them a lot because their bonuses are totally in synch with the age you get them*, and they can easily get very powerful.

*: by that I mean they don't get discounts for libraries or settlers in the modern age, for instance.

Top Bottom