1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[GS] Won religious multiplayer game yesterday, AMA and thoughts

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Strategy & Tips' started by kotpeter, Jun 21, 2019.

1. kotpeter

kotpeter Chieftain

First of all, I don't know why others didn't declare war on me and didn't condemn all my apostles to the ground. But it really helped :)

Second, I was playing as Khmer. Despite the fact that only 2 players remained in the game after quite some time had passed, I was able able to get only 1 (!) relic, and it wasn't from my missionary, but an apostle. The AI just doesn't seem to care to attack missionaries, it only attacked my weakest apostles. So, my further tips won't be about religious gameplay with relics, instead I'll focus more on active religious spread (tbh passive spread is a joke in this game, even with Moksha, scripture and Jerusalem).

Third, if you're inclined to try such gameplay out, you NEED to get golden age for medieval and renessaince eras. Even better if you can get heroic age for medieval. The reason is that there's "Exodus of evangelists" dedication that turns your apostles into unstoppable religious fanatics with lots of movement and charges. I suggest dark age for classical era to be able to feed cities with domestic trade routes, increase science with dark age policy card (because you build holy cites anyway) and have that +5 policy in case somebody attacks you.

Fourth, pick mosque for 1 extra charge and build Hagia Sophia if you have time. And buy a guru or two because these guys really help against rival apostles.

Fifth, get a belief that removes terrain costs for apostles or another one that reduces their purchase costs. These two are the most powerful beliefs for spreading your religion with units.

Sixth, do not forget about other gameplay aspects. Hoard gold like crazy, research for better defensive military units, mine and stock those strategic resources, upgrade your units if your neighbor is building up troops. Just all basic stuff not to get timing-pushed, snowballed, etc.

And seventh, DO NOT TRY this in multiplayer if you want to win :) I was incredibly lucky, because no one declared war on me; as you may know, by declaring war you gain the possibility to purge enemy religious units with military units. It costs you nothing and it counters all religious units.

In all honesty, I'd be glad if they changed this "condemn heretic" mechanic somehow. Would be cool if it at least provided a relic in compensation or if it only was available in certain dark ages, so that burning heretics down is a weighted decision, not a no-brainer.

EDIT: fixed ages' names and a few typos

Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
    BTSeven7 likes this.