Wonder: Frontier Defence

charly1977

Warlord
Here I present a frontier defence like the french Maginot-Line or the german Westwall or the Swiss Defence... unfortunatelly my Total Realism Team didn´t want it in game, so it is for the public...

it is build on the great-walls-system, so just embed it the way the great wall is implemented.

screen:

content:
Model
Button
Wondermovie

please give me your feedback

First dose this replace the GreatWall art (I would assume so)? Second I like the Boxes and wall itself but the little domed cannon bits need some work, the barrels look a little too long and too thin, I also think single barrel rather then double would be better.

If this could be xml'd as a citywall, it could become a perimeter defense in the revived smac mod. (or whichever scifi mod)

Impaler[WrG];5112545 said:
First dose this replace the GreatWall art (I would assume so)? Second I like the Boxes and wall itself but the little domed cannon bits need some work, the barrels look a little too long and too thin, I also think single barrel rather then double would be better.

it is using the great-wall art, so just copy the xml-great-wall-entries, rename it and modify it to your demands...

eventually (depends on my freetime) i´ll replace the domes by artillery bunker like used in the german atlantikwall / westwall... but this may need some time, because i am busy at our current projects..

Yea the movie stalled out for me at 14% after about 15 minutes of Downloading, I got the model and button though.

I'm thinking of writing up a mod to do something special with this, the default BorderObsticle effect for the GreatWall (blocking Barbs from entering) is useless in the late game when this would be used. A lot of other traditional effects could be used but none that I can think of really sound all that appropriate. Anyone got some ideas?

Perhaps make it citycross/cultureradius-sized facility? And all the civ's units within it have a defensive multiplier? It becomes a sort of city facility which can only be constructed on cities bordering an other civ's territory?

Well if anything it should be a Project rather then a Wonder as its spread over a vast area, defense sounds good but Its going to be tricky to make it realistic, I don't wont a global defense bonus, for historical accuracy the bonus should disappear once the enemy gets around the barrier. I think it might be possible to do a "tile adjacent to one you don't own" kind of effect so you would position your units at the borders and if attacked they get a fat defense bonus but outside of those plots you get nothing.

Do you think a defense multiplier bonus could be coded only at the interior side of where the wonder/project is drawn on the gamemap? So once an incursive army passed this line things are normal again? What I mean in detail is that if cultural borders change after the project was finished, a defense bonus wouldn't apply at the new borders, but still only on the interior spot adjacent on where the Line is drawn earlier.

GeoModder: I don't think so, the art work is done in Python and its location is not stored in the SDK from what I can tell, I could only make a 'border' distinction by doing a run-time check on all 8 adjacent plots for different ownership.

Plots store River data which makes that possible, I cant see any place that the Wall data is being held in the Plot so theirs nothing to toggle off of.

I didn't see this before so I thought I'd weigh in now, but one possible effect (aside from just a basic defense bonus) would be to kill the movement points of any units entering that civ's borders... which wouldn't be terribly useful against infantry, but it would slow down mechanized units (or suicidal cavalry :p).

Other possible benefits:

Reduce collateral damage and increase resistance to bombing (and bombardment if used in a mod that has proper bombardment).

A slight healing bonus would probably be good too.

One or all of these things might work... make one of these features and have it be strong or add all these features and have them only give slight bonuses.

hello
i used it like a modern great wall, added the artdefbuildingxml & artdefmisc entries, and citysystem too, it works but the graphic is still the original great wall.... i looked everywhere in python and other xml but didn't find where is the problem. i think it's the "greatworldbuilder" thing in city system but where to change it? Thanks

this could work perfectly with WW2 1939 mod.... Ill talk to AsioX3 and talk him into adding this in for phase 2 (shoudn't be hard :))

Top Bottom