1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Wonder Improvement Pack [MODCOMP]

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall Modmods' started by Edungeon, Feb 11, 2008.

1. Edungeon

Edungeon Flying~

I don't have much time these days, but i will try to do this new modcomp. There are some wonders in RFC that i really don't like and will replace them with others from the graphics modification forum.

Stonehenge

You all know why i don't like this wonder :p ( never has the chance to appear in the right city, made by the "barbarians" :crazyeye: , and the sphinx is cool :cool: )

Replacement: The Sphinx

Moai Statues

Like the stonehenge it doesn't has the chance to appear in the right spot, its ugly... and please, it isn't even a WONDER! it is a big celebration of the destruction of a civilization :(

Replacement: Carthage Harbor (needs a better name)... this is a difficult one, any ideas?

Channel Tunnel

I found this a very strange wonder :crazyeye: How with a big tunnel, you can have more research than Plato's Academy and Oxford TOGETHER? this one is a big joke :p

Removing the fact that you can build the channel in a city where it will never connect anything! :eek:

Replacements: Oxford University ( the same of the vanilla Civ ), I don't have any other ideas :crazyeye:

Any other ideas? ( i don't like the Colosseum too, i think maybe some Asian Wonder like the Sun Tzu art of war or Terracota army is better... but this is just my opinion :D )

PS: :mischief: let's change Elvis from the Rock Wonder to the Beatles :lol: we all know that british rock is so much better :crazyeye:

2. aryann

aryann Chieftain

Couldn't the channel tunnels effects be changed and it be made more like a harbour in that you can only build it in certain cities? Your ideas sound good though.

3. Edungeon

Edungeon Flying~

But i think we still need the "Research Wonder" :crazyeye: and i think the idea of the tunnel is a little silly :p it isn't a "building" that a city can construct... it like the Road Improvement ou something... i really don't know... but putting a tunnel in the same category as the Great Wall, the Pyramids or the Hagia Sophia is very strange :sad:

4. aryann

aryann Chieftain

The great wall is just a big wall, the great lighthouse is just a big lighthouse, your Carthage harbour (which was circular, I thought I'd mention that, might help with naming or something...) was just a big harbour etc... The channel tunnel is just a big tunnel...

5. AnotherPacifist

AnotherPacifist Chieftain

Well, a lighthouse is a lighthouse, but it's not because of the physical building that gives the bonus. (The Parthenon was just a temple to a local deity) It represents the amount of effort that that particular civ put into trading and hence the bonus. Similarly, the Great Wall was useless in keeping out northern nomadic tribes from invading China, once the repairs and manning the towers became lax due to internal Chinese strife. The wall represents the effort in keeping out the barbarians.
    Therefore, the Chunnel should stay, just because it represents the huge amount of science and applied engineering that's needed to build it.

6. aryann

aryann Chieftain

A tunnel dosn't generate scienece, the pyramids didn't either and they were a great triumph for architecture, perhaps the greatest. I do think it should stay though.

7. Edungeon

Edungeon Flying~

The science applied in a tunnel is more than an library and a university together? Illiterate people with a tunnel are in the same level of research of a Modern technocracy :lol:

seriously now, of course you need a good amount of tech points to make a big tunnel in the ocean... i just think that there are more significant buildings to represent the "research wonder" in RFC, even the silly SETI program of past civilization games is better.

The Tunnel wonder represents what? its description says that he is the tunnel in the Manche channel, build in the 90s... in the game its a wonder that comes with the Railroad tech, 200 years too early if you ask me.

And why the tunnel gives Great Scientists Points? Great Engineers are far better :confused:

The Oxford University ( or other wonder with somebody has a better idea ) can represent the modern universities that focus in science and are free to do all research ( not be choked by religion )... well, you can give it a lot of things to represent that are more or less wonderful :p

just my 2 cents, with everybody likes the tunnel i will not change it :crazyeye:

8. Úmarth

Úmarth Megalomaniac

Why delete the Colosseum? It's a wonder if I ever saw one. If anything shove the Circus Maximus in there too.

9. Edungeon

Edungeon Flying~

I'm not going to touch the Colosseum, i personally don't like it :lol: this is just i thing i have but others people like it, so i am not touching it :)

10. AnotherPacifist

AnotherPacifist Chieftain

"It was a megaproject with several false starts, but it was finally completed in 1994. It is the second-longest rail tunnel in the world, with the Seikan Tunnel in Japan being longer, but the undersea section of the Channel Tunnel, at 37.9 km (23.55 mi), is the longest undersea tunnel in the world. The American Society of Civil Engineers has declared the tunnel to be one of the Seven Wonders of the Modern World."

I agree that maybe it should give hammers rather than science. :lol:
    Personally I like Harvard University better than Oxford.:goodjob:

11. kairob

kairob Biohazard

Oxford is definately a better choice than Harvard plus the yanks have enough wonders in one era.
    How about CERN's partical exelarator that runs through 3 countries? that has to count as a wonder that boosts science or what about CERN itself?

12. Edungeon

Edungeon Flying~

I think the problem is that it comes very late ( Rocketry? Superconductors? ) and i don't know if any of the artist from civfanatics already made it :crazyeye:

13. yanks

yanks Chieftain

Personally, I think the wonders are fine as they are but if some people don't think so then they can make new ones and they can use them

Also, for those of you who have read Dan Brown, isn't CERN what's mentioned in there :)

The Yanks (hence my name) can never have too many wonders;)

14. kairob

kairob Biohazard

CERN, which I heard about from my brothers trip their was actually founded in 1954, which is actually earlier than the chanel tunnel, although I amagine the partical exelorator in newer.

15. SadoMacho

SadoMacho spanker of civilizations

Hubble space telescoop would be a nice science project.

I see the Tunnel more as a trading wonder, giving extra treade routes (As we can now take the train to London, an other way of traveling to there).

I don't think the carthagian harbour is a good idea because it is allready in in some way as the UB for chartage, but the same could be said about the colosseum and the amphitheater.

The WTC could be also a good wonder to add.

16. Riker

Riker True Metal of Steel

Don't name Dan Brown please...

17. Edungeon

Edungeon Flying~

I'm finishing here the Oxford and the Sphinx, any more ideas about the replacement of Moai? =\

And do you think there are some new wonder that deserves to be in the game? ( it is always good if the effect is original :p )

18. kairob

kairob Biohazard

I always thought with the promo system for civ 4 that sun tzu's art of war should be in giving experiance to units, or maybe a free promo?

I really do like the idea of the Carthage Harbour.

19. Edungeon

Edungeon Flying~

I finished the first part of the mod here(oxford and sphinx)... but in the game when i click to build the Oxford, the game crashes :confused: i don't know if something changed in the way to mod from Warlords to BTS.

Let's see if this is just in my PC, someone please test it :sad: ( and was so long ago the last time that i modded something, the chances that i screwed something are very high :nuke: )

http://forums.civfanatics.com/uploads/92651/WIP.rar

Free Combat I to all units? ( like the Agressive trait )

20. kairob

kairob Biohazard

yeah combat 1 sounds cool. I am in the middle of a game, but will test it out tonight if no one else has.