Wonder Movies

Titan2018

Warlord
I really miss the wonder movies from civ2. They gave you that real sense of acompisment that should come along with building a wonder.

I really missed having the wonder movies. That pop up graphic in Civ III is sorry excuse for a reward after devoting all the time it takes to build wonders. I used to sit back in my chair and revel at the accomplishment in Civ II. There is little excuse not to have them included in a new version. The hardcore RTS fans or the unimaginative can turn them off if they don't like them. I think Civ 4 should have some epic cut scenes taking advantage of todays faster computers and graphics cards. Another game thet made good use of cut scenes was Alpha Centuri.

wonder movies are optional.
I really want Firaxis to turn out a good game with no video rather than a lousy game with good video.

I fully agree with Dida. Every cent spent on movies is a penny not spent on the gameplay. Firaxis will be given a fixed budget from Atari. I'd much rather they spend it on gameplay rather than movies that I'll ESC out of the second or third time I see them.

I have mixed feelings on this...
True, I often ESC out of such things after I've seen them a few times, and I'd rather see the developers devote time/energy/money to good gameplay. On the other hand, I sometimes did like to revel in the accomplishment a little, in which case, having the movies improves enjoyment of the game.

This is a bit OT, but similar: I enjoyed the screens that used to pop up when you discovered a new tech in Civ 1/2. Sure, I only read the text once, if ever, but having the nice picture next to it and the full-screen interruption of the game made the discovery of a new tech seem like more of an accomplishment worthy of note. I realise the Civ 3 designers were trying to minimize the number of extra mouseclicks and remove "distractions" from the game itself. What I'd like to see in Civ 4 is something just like the current popup (letting you know what tech you just discovered and giving you a pull-down menu of what to research next) except it should cover more of the screen, have a nicer picture representing the tech, and probably give you a couple reminders like what new units/improvements that tech enables. Currently you have to click on the name and bring up the Civilopedia if you need the reminder, so in some cases, putting it on the popup would actually reduce clicking. And as long you could simply highlight the next tech to research and hit return/click okay, then the number of clicks would never be increased, just the feeling of accomplishment from getting a new tech.

Top Bottom