Wonderful article on Civ4 modding in Game Developer Magazine

warpstorm

Yumbo? Yumbo!
Lots of new stuff here.

For example, the unit formation editor, hot swapping of assets, Python scripting for the WorldBuilder, a Python interpreter console, L-System city building, Python editible UI, colored map overlays, and more. Since it's a four page article, I will tell just one highlight I hadn't read about before. :p

It seems that the Unit Formation editor allows the units to change formations based on pretty much any game states that are exposed to Python (which according to the article "We also exposed every major high-level game function and event". They have what looks to be a simple editor for placing them.

Don't you wish you got a copy of this magazine?

So what does that mean, warpstorm - that (for example) the multi-units can move to a defensive formation on defense, and an attacking formation on attack? Formations can evolve over time? This will be cool!

Presumably different units can take different formations as well - roman legions shields-up!

warpstorm said:
Don't you wish you got a copy of this magazine?

Brag all you want, Warpstorm. :rolleyes:

;)

Sounds interesting.

ainwood said:
multi-units can move to a defensive formation on defense, and an attacking formation on attack? Formations can evolve over time? This will be cool!

Presumably different units can take different formations as well - roman legions shields-up!

The (tiny, but almost readable if you squint) picture that was in the article leads me to believe all of this is true.

warpstorm said:
The (tiny, but almost readable if you squint) picture that was in the article leads me to believe all of this is true.
Then it sounds fantastic - its this sort of moddability & attention to detail that will have people salivating - the ability for civilization-specific, historically-correct formations is fantastic. If you've got historically correct units & leaders (well, the history can be argued to death ;)), then how these units move and interact is the logical next-step. :)

Hiya Warpstorm. You know I am thankful for even the smallest tidbit of info-so kudos to you for finding and posting this info. I was wondering, though, does the article make specific mention of the modding of in-game mechanics, and how flexible it is? If so, could you please spill the beans? :mischief:

Yours,
Aussie_Lurker.

How ironic, is it a magazine for programers and is it only in paper?

I have a question for programers. (that means warpstorm). It seems that the game is gonna be highly moddable, but people complain that making 3D units could be very hard, I was wondering if you can import 3D graphics from other games. For example, can you import units from Pirates to Civ IV? Since they use the same 3D engine (Gamebryo?), it shouldn't be difficult, I guess.

And from other 3D games? Can we add mario brothers clones to Civ IV? :mischief:

Maybe you could, but is illegal to do that. (If you are not selling the mod, it should be legal, IMO). Maybe there is a legal middle ground and we will be allowed to take units from other games, modify them and import them to Civ IV. It is just an idea for modders. I don't know the technical stuff.

Urederra said:
How ironic, is it a magazine for programers and is it only in paper?

They have a complimentary website, but they don't usually run the same content.

Legal issues aside (it's not legal even for personal use in manycountries, but if it's for personal use nobody'd know), it is difficult if you have to change formats (andmany game engines have custom formats). Having said that, many of the formats used by popular games already have tools and convertors written for them.

Hmm I wonder if Formations actualy have impact on fighting/combat results or if it is purely an "effect" as in that is how the combatants ar arranged in the unit...

Coud anyone specify what this L-style city building is about?

cheers

V. Soma said:
a real Civfanatic you are... :)
yea I didnt even understand most of it. :nuke: But it sounded cool :goodjob:

apparently there is some magical beauty to the placement of the structures inside the city, and the beautiful approach gives them an extra "kick" to make them come alive :eek:

stuff about extensive modability and 4 stages of modability.

joe

oh yea and then there was a brief paragraph about some kind of new "capacity point" system for railroads... :confused:

Ummm, Joe, are you pulling my leg?? Did they really say 'Capacity Points' for RR? If so, then that is so cool to hear :)!!!

Yours,
Aussie_Lurker.

Top Bottom